Applying for a Credit Card

I have just joined the group and looking for some advice if possible.

I'm a UK citizen living abroad since 2001 and I am now looking to apply for a credit card. Up until now I have only used debit cards because I have had no requirement for credit; however, I now find myself in a position where I require a credit card because my employer now requires me to cover all my expenses and then invoice for them at the end of each month. I travel a lot so these expenses can add up very quickly.

I have a long standing well paid job with a credible company but no longer have a physical address in the UK. I also have a number of bank accounts worldwide; however, they were opened in the countries I have lived in and these banks only issue debit cards.

Can somebody please advise me if there is a major online Credit Card or bank which provides credit cards to expats living outside the UK with no UK address?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer me.

answer not found any without a official uk address myself but as you work your wp gives you a good chance of aquiring one here from any bank..

Best to date so far i have aquired a prepaid debit card one time but that entailed topping up from the likes of a post office.

Edited by Brit_Doggie

You didn't state where you are living now; is it Thailand ? To get any kind of credit (as opposed to debit) card, I think that you will need to be able to show 2 years with your present employer. No one is going to give a credit card to some itinerant who is living out of a suitcase.

I also have a number of bank accounts worldwide; however, they were opened in the countries I have lived in and these banks only issue debit cards.

Strange banks those ones.

I also have a number of bank accounts worldwide; however, they were opened in the countries I have lived in and these banks only issue debit cards.

one of the problems with "offshore" accounts is that one is typically not resident in country where your bank account is, so in a lot of cases they will not issue you an unsecured CC irrespective of how much you hold with them as " residency " is also assessed as part of the application

i went through this with my bank in Singapore, as i dont live or work in Singapore they would only issue a CC if i secured an amount with them equal to limit of the card, it is a proper credit card not a debit card, but its a "secured" CC, they did say if i ever came to live or work in Singapore it would be made unsecured no issue

Edited by Soutpeel

one of the problems with "offshore" accounts is that one is typically not resident in country where your bank account is, so in a lot of cases they will not issue you an unsecured CC irrespective of how much you hold with them as " residency " is also assessed as part of the application

i went through this with my bank in Singapore, as i dont live or work in Singapore they would only issue a CC if i secured an amount with them equal to limit of the card, it is a proper credit card not a debit card, but its a "secured" CC, they did say if i ever came to live or work in Singapore it would be made unsecured no issue

My wife has been offered over over 20 grand in CC's in Australia. That's from the 2 banks she has accounts here with.

She's not even a resident. Scary thought actually.

• 2 weeks later...