renew Thai driving licence on tourist visa

I got my 1 year Thai driving licence when I was on an ED visa but now I am on a Tourist visa. I am in the process of getting everything together for applying for a Non B but this will not be ready in time before my licence expires to renew it.

Is it possible to renew a Thai driving licence when on a Tourist visa?

Does it matter if the current licence expires before renewing?

Yes it is possible and no it doesn't normally matter - unless you get stopped laugh.png

If you look up the pinned threads somewhere it says how long but sorry I cannot remember. The other thing is you will normally only be able to go to another Provisional license (now two years) on a tourist visa and not the full 5 year licence.

applying for a Non B but this will not be ready in time before my licence expires to renew it.

Your 1 yr license needs to expire before you can renew it.

It cannot be renewed with a 5 yr license until it has expired.

coffee1.gif

Edited by DLang

I just renewed mine last week on my tourist visa, about 2 weeks before the license was to expire. Never had any experience renewing an expired license. And with a tourist visa, it will be renewed with a 2 year, not a 5 year license.

Edited by kentb21

applying for a Non B but this will not be ready in time before my licence expires to renew it.

coffee1.gif

Seems strange to me. That would mean you can not drive to the office to renew it because you would drive with an expired license.

I had heard it had to be expired too. I just renewed mine in Bangkok when expired for a few weeks. I don't think they care what visa you are on. They asked for photocopies of the passport photo page and my reentry permit page. I have an O-A visa though.

Thanks for all your replies.

For those people who renewed their licence on a tourist visa what did they accept in place of the certificate of residence?

My understanding is you can only get a certificate of residence if you are on a Non Imm visa. That's what I used last time when I was on an ED visa.

I had heard it had to be expired too. I just renewed mine in Bangkok when expired for a few weeks. I don't think they care what visa you are on. They asked for photocopies of the passport photo page and my reentry permit page. I have an O-A visa though.

It seems to matter with some offices what visa you have and what license you require.

Did you get a 5 year renewal or a 2 year temporary on your O-A ? I have a multi-O.

I want to upgrade my license to a 5 year to ride in Malaysia, so I went in 8 months into a temp and span them a story I was going back to the UK and wanted to get a full ticket before leaving, the woman said the computer wouldn't let her renew my license until 2 months before expiry, which runs true with other posts on the forum.

For those people who renewed their licence on a tourist visa what did they accept in place of the certificate of residence?

My understanding is you can only get a certificate of residence if you are on a Non Imm visa. That's what I used last time when I was on an ED visa.

May be true of some offices but generally not true at all. Loads of people reporting getting licenses on Visa waiver stamps and still getting the Immigration cert.

Pattaya Immigration almost give them out like candy - as long as you pay the fee.........

coffee1.gif

Seems strange to me. That would mean you can not drive to the office to renew it because you would drive with an expired license.

My gf at the time rang them. They said you can renew 1 month before expiry. I went in at that time and they told me no. So i renewed it about 2 weeks before in the end. No written tests. No actual riding or driving (was doing car and bike). Only the depth perception test and the silly pedal thing where I slammed on the breaks and the lady yelled at me kap rot dee dee na 555

I have been wondering about this question myself though for when I go to renew the 5 year one as I don't reside there anymore but want to keep the licenses going for insurance purposes when travelling.

By the way bangjak bkk office were insistent on both occasions that I have work permit or something else.

I also remember attempting it on a in samui on a non-ba and they insisted i need a work permit but that was 2012.

Seems every office is a lucky dip as is usually the way in Thailand.

I would love to know what offices are renewing them on tourist visas

Different situation:

Last time I went through a alcohol check point, the cop cracked my 5 year license, split down the middle (thanks mate!)... Luckily it's not in two pieces (yet).

I went to the LTA (Moh Chit) last week to get it replaced (now on a double entry tourist visa) and they refused because I'm on a tourist visa... And I wasn't renewing it, just replacing a broken one!

According to my better half, they're getting very strict with the drivers licenses and government IDs.

May be true of some offices but generally not true at all. Loads of people reporting getting licenses on Visa waiver stamps and still getting the Immigration cert.

Pattaya Immigration almost give them out like candy - as long as you pay the fee.........

Thanks topt, I would love this to be the case but I'm in Bangkok and I have my doubts they will be that relaxed about getting certificate of residence on tourist visa. Could be worth a try though, might give them a call and see their reaction.

I just renewed mine last week on my tourist visa, about 2 weeks before the license was to expire. Never had any experience renewing an expired license. And with a tourist visa, it will be renewed with a 2 year, not a 5 year license.

Thanks kentb21, Where was it you renewed it on your tourist visa and did you have to get certificate of residence for the application?

Thanks kentb21, Where was it you renewed it on your tourist visa and did you have to get certificate of residence for the application?

On Samui. Yes, I needed the residence cert. All I needed for my residence cert was a business card from where I rent my room, a photo, a short application, and 500 baht. Took less than an hour.

Yes Visa has no impact you already have a licence,,,,,, To easy son

So your saying with renewal there is no need for certificate of residency or Non Imm?

If so thats fantastic. I read on the dlt website something about with renewal you need a copy of Non Imm and a certificate of residence.

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471%3Arenew&Itemid=88

Is that only if you need the 5 year? so if i don't have these then I will just get a 2 year temp no problem?

The type of visa you have is not an issue when renewing a licence.

You will however need proof of address, and the only acceptable proofs are 1/ Tabien Ban (aka yellow book) 2/ Letter from Consulate 3/ Certificate from immigration.

You may have difficulty getting the certificate from immigration if you don't have a visa. The other 2 are unaffected.

Incorrect.

You did not get a 5 year license because the 1 year license wasn't expired, nothing to do with your visa.

The rules for the 5 year license are that you have a held a Thai driving license for one year previously.

Thus if it is not expired, you cannot get the 5 year one.

That is why they only gave you a 2 year one.

coffee1.gif

Yes, it is strange, but then when you've lived here for a while the strangeness becomes normal.

They cannot give you a 5 year license until you have held a license for a period of 1 year previously.

Thus why it has to expire before they will give you a 5 yr license.

It will also be valid for 5 years plus the time to your birthday.

So if you go the day after your birthday, the new license will be valid for 5 years and 364 days.

coffee1.gif

if it expires your finished you will apply and test all over again

Not true. As previously posted by me, I just renewed my 1 year temporary after expiry and got 5 year one. It must be expired to get the 5 years. Tests were depth perception, brake test and peripheral vision only. 5 minutes total testing time.

coffee1.gif

Is this from recent experience ?

Like I already reported, I was told by my local DLT that anywhere after 10 months was OK.

The DLT website mentions nothing of the license having to expire to qualify for a 5 year, or have I missed something.

Only one way to find out, my 10 months will be up in the middle of the month and I want to apply for a 5 year.

So I phoned DLT today in Bangkok and was informed it is possible to renew your Thai licence on a tourist visa. All I need is a letter from my embassy confirming I'm in Thailand on a tourist visa and the usual copies of passport. I'm going to try and get something at Thai immigration first as this would be cheaper and I have heard other people here say they where given a certificate of residence on a tourist visa so worth trying first.

They also said it does not make a difference if your licence expires, in fact they said the only time it matters is if it is more than 1 year expired as then you would need to retake some of the tests. From this I think it sounds like you can renew before expiry and up to 1 year after expiry no problem.

Incorrect.

You did not get a 5 year license because the 1 year license wasn't expired, nothing to do with your visa.

The rules for the 5 year license are that you have a held a Thai driving license for one year previously.

Thus if it is not expired, you cannot get the 5 year one.

That is why they only gave you a 2 year one.

Sorry DLang, but either you are incorrect or the official at the license office was when I asked and was told that with a tourist visa they were only giving 2 year renewals, having nothing to do with an unexpired license.

So I phoned DLT today in Bangkok and was informed it is possible to renew your Thai licence on a tourist visa. All I need is a letter from my embassy confirming I'm in Thailand on a tourist visa and the usual copies of passport. I'm going to try and get something at Thai immigration first as this would be cheaper and I have heard other people here say they where given a certificate of residence on a tourist visa so worth trying first.

They also said it does not make a difference if your licence expires, in fact they said the only time it matters is if it is more than 1 year expired as then you would need to retake some of the tests. From this I think it sounds like you can renew before expiry and up to 1 year after expiry no problem.

Reid, please let me know how it goes, and if you get the 2 or 5 year renewal? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

coffee1.gif

To confirm some previous posts and to dispel this myth that the license needs to expire before applying for a 5 year ticket. This has been posted on the forum several times, but things change from office to office and different times.

I was told by my local DLT, that for a 1 year to converted to a 5 year motorbike license, then the license must run over 10 months before it can be extended.

My 1 Year license expires on 9th October, Today is the 14th August.

I printed off the list requirements from the website, got my health check last night ( and left it at home ) - took an 5 month old 'out of date' certificate of residence from Hat Yai immigration and headed down to Hat Yai DLT.

Copied my passport data page, my visa sticker, a one year multi entry non-immigrant O from Savanahket, the TM6 and entry stamp.

I will point out that my entry stamp expires tomorrow, and my one year visa towards the end of September, which could have made things a little tricky.

I first went to a guy who, who recognised me. He gave me a form and asked how I was going to fill it in, as it had to be in Thai. I left got a friend to complete the form and returned 20 mins later.

I was directed towards the 'eye & reaction test' - the receptionist checked my papers, saw the certificate of residence had expired. I jumped in quickly and told her that the guy in room 3 knew me and he said it was fine (smirk).

3 colours, distance test, reaction test took about 30 seconds.

I then waited for 30 mins until called, they tried to fob me off with a 1 year ticket ( i don't know why it wasn't a new 2 year ) - I showed him the website print out, he made a call and got confirmation, if I had a non-immigrant O visa then I was permitted to hold a 5 year ticket. I returned to the first lady who amended the computer from a further temp license to 5 year and returned to desk 3 for photo and processing.

Paid the 355B and was out like a shot, before he started to enquire about the certificate of residence or health pass.

This office isn't the provincial headquarters, its just a small office - there is no test centre, just a facility to exchange licences. The guy couldn't even read English to confirm my visa sticker was a non-O - Even if you are on a tourist visa - everything is worth a shot.