Renewing a 5 year driving license

swerving

Next month i have to renew my Thai driving, a prospect i loathe as it is a complete waste of time and a day. Plus dealing with the nastiest, abrubt and bad mannered government workers i have encountered in 18 years here.

Can anyone tell me what is now required (paperwork) as it has bound to have changed over the last 5 years.

Thanks

Might I say ...

1) It's not a complete waste of time, it's well worth the time to stay legal.

2) I have always found the officials at the Phuket DVLC very helpful and efficient. And I have renewed my licences over 3 times.

3) Paper work ... A certicate of residence from Immigration or a Work Permit (some say a yellow tabian baan), original passport, copies of passport pages, some say a medical certificate (although that depends on the mood of the day), original licence(s)... that's about it

edit /// and turn up before 09.00 in the morning. You need to watch the morning video

Edited by LivinginKata

Thanks

Not much different then. Just love that video.

It's a waste of time for me as i work.

Before i would turn up around 0830 and get in line. Finished by lunchtime but recently heard that it now takes all day?

Been here nealy 19 years and speak very good Thai, but still find them to be a nasty bunch as i understand what they are saying behind my back..

There is a thread on it already.

No farangs allowed until 8:30. LIK is correct on everything. Show up and after taking an idiotic reflect test of red, yellow and green lights with your foot, you go upstairs and wait until 10. The video is about an hour or so.

Go back downstairs, pay the the 500b, then another 110b for the plastic card and you are out of there by about 11:40ish or so.

If you go after your expiration date, you may be lucky and get a 6 year licence.

Best of luck.

my wife call the office in phuket, and they told here that i dont need the medical certificat, and then i come out there and could not take the text, for i was missing the medical certificat..

2. time i go there i bring my work permit, my passport and medical certificat. and then all good.. 1 hour after i have my 5 years.

it s 1 month ago i did it

my wife call the office in phuket, and they told here that i dont need the medical certificat, and then i come out there and could not take the text, for i was missing the medical certificat..

2. time i go there i bring my work permit, my passport and medical certificat. and then all good.. 1 hour after i have my 5 years.

Normally for renewal of 5 year medical is not required, but it is for upgrade of temporary to 5 year.

So I presume you changed from 1 to 5 year license, also since you apparently did not watch the video which is normally required for 5-5, but not for 1-5, or did the office deviate from its own guidelines (which would not be unheard of).

Normally for renewal of 5 year medical is not required, but it is for upgrade of temporary to 5 year.

So I presume you changed from 1 to 5 year license, also since you apparently did not watch the video which is normally required for 5-5, but not for 1-5, or did the office deviate from its own guidelines (which would not be unheard of).

yes, it s was from the 1 year to 5 year

Forgive me for starting a new topic here, I can't easily find where to start. It IS about a driving license but in Chiang Mai.

I had a 5 year Thai driving license that expired last year on my birthday. Although it expired I kept my card but later it was stolen with other things from my bag. I no longer have any documentary evidence of my UK license or the International one I came to Thailand with 12 years ago. I haven't a pursued this until now as I didn't really need to drive a car. Now I do and I wonder what is the best procedure for obtaining any kind of license to drive in Thailand. I am 70 so is there any age barrier in Thailand?

In any event, passing any kind of medical won't be a problem for me, I don't even wear glasses for anything.

Thank you anyone for your time and attention

Forgive me for starting a new topic here, I can't easily find where to start. It IS about a driving license but in Chiang Mai.

I had a 5 year Thai driving license that expired last year on my birthday. Although it expired I kept my card but later it was stolen with other things from my bag. I no longer have any documentary evidence of my UK license or the International one I came to Thailand with 12 years ago. I haven't a pursued this until now as I didn't really need to drive a car. Now I do and I wonder what is the best procedure for obtaining any kind of license to drive in Thailand. I am 70 so is there any age barrier in Thailand?

In any event, passing any kind of medical won't be a problem for me, I don't even wear glasses for anything.

Thank you anyone for your time and attention

Okay so a few years ago I went for my first renewal, actually I just applied for a new license, however the lady in charge asked about my old licence, well there's a bit of a story to that (I hadn't mentioned any previous license) as circumstances would have it, the license was sitting in a police booth. I explained that I no longer had it and told the lady at the center that I'd shredded the old licence. She said CANNOT, I apologised and said but DONE. she issued the continued licence for another five years.

Last time I needed to renew I sent my driver along with a couple of photos, but this time it was he who returned to tell me CANNOT and indeed it was cannot and then I experienced the Thai driving test.

My 5 year licence expires march 2016 , but wont be back in Pattaya until June , will i have a problem renewing it again for 5 years...will i have to do the full test again ? is there a date limit for renewing expired licence ? thanks for info

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts

My 5 year licence expires march 2016 , but wont be back in Pattaya until June , will i have a problem renewing it again for 5 years...will i have to do the full test again ? is there a date limit for renewing expired licence ? thanks for info

You shuld not need to take the full test if only 3 months late. I believe it takes a full year late and it's take the test again.

• 4 months later...

Looked for a thread on renewing / upgrading 1 year licence to 5. Couldn't find one so I'll post it here.

Did it today at Phuket PLTO. Arrived 8am. Only about 6 people in queue. Papers checked and approved then went to do the reaction and traffic light test. Out and done with that by 8:50am. And RESULT: No video!!!! :D

Back to the info desk and got my queue ticket then back to wait to be processed. Called up to the desk at 9:20. Paid 760 baht for two licences. Then queue for photo. All done and finished by 9:45. Tonight I'm going to celebrate not having to endure the video!!

My original licences expire 17 Jan 2016. New licences issued for 5 years expiring on my birthday June 2016.

Paperwork wise what they DID want:

1) Passport details page

2) Current Visa Extension Page

3) Cert of Residence (copy ok for second licence)

4) Medical Certificate (again 1 + copy for 2nd licence).

Passport and original licences

What I included but they took out:

1) Copies front / back original licences

2) Copy original Non Imm O visa page

3) Copy TM6 Departure Card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked for a thread on renewing / upgrading 1 year licence to 5. Couldn't find one so I'll post it here.

Did it today at Phuket PLTO. Arrived 8am. Only about 6 people in queue. Papers checked and approved then went to do the reaction and traffic light test. Out and done with that by 8:50am. And RESULT: No video!!!! biggrin.png

Back to the info desk and got my queue ticket then back to wait to be processed. Called up to the desk at 9:20. Paid 760 baht for two licences. Then queue for photo. All done and finished by 9:45. Tonight I'm going to celebrate not having to endure the video!!

My original licences expire 17 Jan 2016. New licences issued for 5 years expiring on my birthday June 2016.

1) Passport details page

Video is only required for the 5 Y renewal.

Medical certificate is required for the upgrade from 1 to 5 Y

Looks like that they did it by the book.

Did it today at Phuket PLTO. Arrived 8am. Only about 6 people in queue. Papers checked and approved then went to do the reaction and traffic light test. Out and done with that by 8:50am. And RESULT: No video!!!! biggrin.png

1) Passport details page

Video is only required for the 5 Y renewal.

Medical certificate is required for the upgrade from 1 to 5 Y

Looks like that they did it by the book.

Yes, except for the 5 year validity till June 2016.

anyone know if i can you get 5 year renewal license on the new 6 month multi entry visa ...or do i have to get the 1 year multi entry o visa again to get 5 year renewal license ..thanks

Interesting question. I was hoping some other member would answer.

I'm sure that a tourist type visa will only be granted a one year DL. I'm guessing that when you say 'new 6 month multi visa' then that's a tourist visa.

I'm also sure (nearly) that a one year multi non immigrant visa will get you the 5 year DL.

anyone know if i can you get 5 year renewal license on the new 6 month multi entry visa ...or do i have to get the 1 year multi entry o visa again to get 5 year renewal license ..thanks

Would depend on the DLT. Here on Phuket on tourist visa or visa exempt only get temporary license, so 2 years. For 5 year license non-immigrant visa or extension of stay is required.

I'm sure that a tourist type visa will only be granted a one year DL. I'm guessing that when you say 'new 6 month multi visa' then that's a tourist visa.

I'm also sure (nearly) that a one year multi non immigrant visa will get you the 5 year DL.

My apologies - these days tourist visa will get you a 2 year DL. Seems like there is no 1 year anymore.

My apologies - these days tourist visa will get you a 2 year DL. Seems like there is no 1 year anymore.

Yah As of March 2015. All first time licences are 2 years.