PAD Dissolved

Jai Dee

PAD dissolved

The People's Alliance for Democracy announced Thursday that it ceases to exist after its goal to see the Thaksin regime toppled has been accomplished.

PAD leaders held a press conference at 11 am at Manager head office to announce the dissolution of the PAD.

Attending the press conference were PAD leaders Sondhi Limthongkul, Somsak Kosaisuk, Somkiat Pongpaibool, and Pipop Thongchai as well as PAD coordinator Suriyasai Katasila. Another PAD leader, Chamlong Srimuang, was not present.

The press conference was held at 11 am.

Source: The Nation - 21 September 2006

PAD announces to end its mission

The People’s Alliance for Democracy has finally dissolved as its goal to see the Thaksin regime toppled has been completed. The anti-Thaksin group also urged authorities to seize the assets of the several ex-cabinet ministers.

Core leaders of PAD led by Mr. Sonthi Limthongkul(สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล), Mr. Suriyasai Katasila(สุริยใส กตะสิลา), Mr. Piphop Thongchai(พิภพ ธงไชย ) and Mr. Somkiat Pongpaiboon(สมเกียรติ พงษ์ไพบูลย์) have announced to end their mission to anti-Thaksin system but will continue with its functions.

The leaders have proposed Administrative Reform Council under the Constitutional Monarchy to verify the properties of Thaksin administration and forward to the Criminal Court for the investigation of the properties which were gained illegitimately.

PAD has also proposed the public to file political lawsuit and to amend the limitation period of corruption cases.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 21 September 2006

How appropriate to dissolve one year and one day after their formation.

Sonti Limtongkun did a fine job in raising Thai people's awareness of Thaksin's misdeeds.

He may have been over the top at times but he was a brave man who used the little media available to him to fine effect.

I'll miss his Friday night show.

Mission accomplished, long live the PAD!

Sonti Limtongkun did a fine job in raising Thai people's awareness of Thaksin's misdeeds.

He may have been over the top at times but he was a brave man who used the little media available to him to fine effect.

I do not think any of his former (unpaid) employees would agree with you. He went against Thaksin only after they fell out over business interests. A lot of things he came out with were/are complete crap. He is no better than the TRT posse, all out for themselves in my opinion.

I do not think any of his former (unpaid) employees would agree with you. He went against Thaksin only after they fell out over business interests. A lot of things he came out with were/are complete crap. He is no better than the TRT posse, all out for themselves in my opinion.

Sondhi may have had mixed motives, but he basically put his life on the line opposing Thaksin. He very well may have ended up dead for his actions. Ask yourself ... would Sondi really put his life at risk for business gain? Doesnt add up or tell the full story. The way I see it, he was brave, and although his motives *may* have been mixed, it appears overwhelmingly to be a motive other than cold hard business advantage.

PAD announces to end its mission

The People’s Alliance for Democracy has finally dissolved as its goal to see the Thaksin regime toppled has been completed. The anti-Thaksin group also urged authorities to seize the assets of the several ex-cabinet ministers.

Core leaders of PAD led by Mr. Sonthi Limthongkul(สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล), Mr. Suriyasai Katasila(สุริยใส กตะสิลา), Mr. Piphop Thongchai(พิภพ ธงไชย ) and Mr. Somkiat Pongpaiboon(สมเกียรติ พงษ์ไพบูลย์) have announced to end their mission to anti-Thaksin system but will continue with its functions.

The leaders have proposed Administrative Reform Council under the Constitutional Monarchy to verify the properties of Thaksin administration and forward to the Criminal Court for the investigation of the properties which were gained illegitimately.

PAD has also proposed the public to file political lawsuit and to amend the limitation period of corruption cases.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 21 September 2006

A pity that PAD, have gone, as there most certainly needs to be some organisation, that will watch over the military and make sure that, they do return the country to peaceful civilian rule. What about the Democrats they don''t seem to be saying or doing much?

Sondhi may have had mixed motives, but he basically put his life on the line opposing Thaksin. He very well may have ended up dead for his actions. Ask yourself ... would Sondi really put his life at risk for business gain? Doesnt add up or tell the full story. The way I see it, he was brave, and although his motives *may* have been mixed, it appears overwhelmingly to be a motive other than cold hard business advantage.

I don't think he did what he did to make money. He did what he did because him and the former PM had a major falling out over business. It was a personal vendetta more than business or politics.

As I say have a chat to one of his hundreds of former employees at the Asia Times if you want some perspective on the man and his "ethics".

I don't think he did what he did to make money. He did what he did because him and the former PM had a major falling out over business. It was a personal vendetta more than business or politics.

As I say have a chat to one of his hundreds of former employees at the Asia Times if you want some perspective on the man and his "ethics".

There may be many things wrong with Khun Sondhi. Howeve very few people will literally put their life on the line trying to expose the massive corruption of the most powerful politician in the country. For this he deserves credit whatever his past history and motivations were. Those that like to criticize someone brave enough to risk this would probably be better served considering if they themselves would have been willing to take such a risk if in the same position.

There may be many things wrong with Khun Sondhi. Howeve very few people will literally put their life on the line trying to expose the massive corruption of the most powerful politician in the country. For this he deserves credit whatever his past history and motivations were. Those that like to criticize someone brave enough to risk this would probably be better served considering if they themselves would have been willing to take such a risk if in the same position.

I just don't like to see people idolised when I know enough about their business practices to realise the significance of the words Pot - Kettle - Black. And I am talking about recent history.

I just don't like to see people idolised when I know enough about their business practices to realise the significance of the words Pot - Kettle - Black. And I am talking about recent history.

Nobody is idolising him, I know journalists on his payroll who weren't paid after the crisis in 1996.

But what he has done over the last year is expose the evil regime of Thaksin for what it was, and that was a brave thing to do in the face of enormous state oppression.

How Thaksin must hate the name Sonthi!

As Sonthi Limtongkun bows out, upsteps Sonthi Boonyaratklin!

Sondthi Limthongkul should be loudly applauded for his courage and temerity.

Let's face it, he had the temerity and strength to publicly criticise Thaksin, and also put his money into the venture, when at the time it had got to the stage where it was almost tantamount to 'lese majeste' to critisice Thaksin!

People were afraid to publicly confront Thaksin -such was his power and the 'climate of fear' that obviously prevailed at the time in the country.

IMHO if you had to single out one single person for special praise it has to be Sondthi.

Amazing !! ... contrary to MANY Thaksin fan's predictions that the PAD were in fact aiming for political posts ... they see what they were aiming for happen ... and poof! They dissolve!

Cheers to the PAD

Well they didnt have a choice really.... dissolve or be thrown in jail..directly from the Junta. :o

Let's face it, he had the temerity and strength to publicly criticise Thaksin, and also put his money into the venture, when at the time it had got to the stage where it was almost tantamount to 'lese majeste' to critisice Thaksin!

I really did not want to bring this up but it should also be noted that Sondhi was heavily criticised, and in fact warned/heavily condemned by the Privy Council, about his use of the Royal family to make political points.

All the Thais I know from various walks of life always seem to physically repulse everytime they see a picture of Sondhi, especially after the aforementioned subject area.

And as for dissolving PAD - well aren't all political parties/unions being dissolved now? Surely this is just a premptive step before reorganising or merging with other groups?

Amazing !! ... contrary to MANY Thaksin fan's predictions that the PAD were in fact aiming for political posts ... they see what they were aiming for happen ... and poof! They dissolve!

Cheers to the PAD

Well they didnt have a choice really.... dissolve or be thrown in jail..directly from the Junta. :o

Directly?or if they staged rallies <that would be illegal now>

Cheers to the PAD

Same Same but different :D (won't explain in detail because it most likely be zapped)

Cheers to the PAD

Same Same but different :D (won't explain in detail because it most likely be zapped)

We will have to wait and see if some of the PAD leaders get put into the provisional government selection ques before we can say they don't want political posts.

Thats exactly what it looked like to me. Also, why were they allowed to meet and make this decision if the coup are genuine when they say that all political meetings are banned ! :o

There may be many things wrong with Khun Sondhi. Howeve very few people will literally put their life on the line trying to expose the massive corruption of the most powerful politician in the country. For this he deserves credit whatever his past history and motivations were. Those that like o criticize someone brave enough to risk this would probably be better served considering if they themselves would have been willing to take such a risk if in the same position.

I guess that there is really no arguement with regards to Sondhi, it all comes down to which side of the fence you are sitting, that is who you support. Neither side are going to be persuaded otherwise. End of story, otherwise we could go on arguing this forever backwards and forwards. No point in keeping on repeating yourselves, we really dont want to hear your 'bleatings' :o