Suvarnabhumi Airport Confirms Its Opening Date On Sep 28th

Jai Dee

Suvarnabhumi Airport confirms its opening date on Sep 28th

Suvarnabhumi Airport Director Somchai Sawasdeephol (สมชัย สวัสดีผล) has insisted that the new airport continues to prepare for its official opening on September 28th.

Mr. Somchai said that the nonviolent military coup by the Administrative Reform Council under the Constitutional Monarchy will not affect the opening of Suvarnabhumi, while confirming that its opening date is unchanged. He said the security measures for the airport have also been prepared.

The airport director said further that none of the airways have informed the authority that they will postpone their flight schedules.

He said two airways are operating in Suvarnabhumi at the moment, and they are Thai Airways and Jet Start.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 21 September 2006

I was due to fly in tomorrow, but because of work postponed to the 28th Oct (arriving 10pm or so). When I changed the booking with my agent a couple of hours ago (long establish, large agent in Bangkok), she confirmed my flight will be landing at the new airport. Just wanted to share the info. I am flying with Thai.

Edited by MaiChai

Mate's flying UAL and arriving at Don Muang in Oct. (checked a few times and each time confirmed the old airport)

WRONG! I just confirmed with United that all their flights in October will be flying into BKK. BKK is the designator for Suvarnabhumi Airport from September 28, 2006 at 03:00 onwards. DBK is the designator for Don Muang from that point onwards. Your mate is flying into Suvarnabhumi, not Don Muang. Tell him to call back United and tell whoever it is that's confirming he's flying into Don Muang to kindly stop spreading false information about something they know nothing about. Short of some major problem, Suvarnabhumi will open in less than a week and Don Muang will close to commerical traffic and United and all other airlines will have no choice in the matter. But I welcome you to go to Don Muang to meet your mate when he arrives. I imagine you'll have lots and lots and lots of time to do some shopping at the new market there while you ponder why there aren't any arriving passengers. :o

Mate's flying UAL and arriving at Don Muang in Oct. (checked a few times and each time confirmed the old airport)

Typical of uninformed staff looking at their non-updated screens

Don Muang will be cloed at 3am on 28 September

WRONG! I just confirmed with United that all their flights in October will be flying into BKK. BKK is the designator for Suvarnabhumi Airport from September 28, 2006 at 03:00 onwards. DBK is the designator for Don Muang from that point onwards. Your mate is flying into Suvarnabhumi, not Don Muang. Tell him to call back United and tell whoever it is that's confirming he's flying into Don Muang to kindly stop spreading false information about something they know nothing about. Short of some major problem, Suvarnabhumi will open in less than a week and Don Muang will close to commerical traffic and United and all other airlines will have no choice in the matter. But I welcome you to go to Don Muang to meet your mate when he arrives. I imagine you'll have lots and lots and lots of time to do some shopping at the new market there while you ponder why there aren't any arriving passengers. :D

Well we shall see.... :o

I am flying in with KLM at the beginning of October, I just checked KLM's website and got the following information.

Bangkok airport change, effective 28 September 2006:

From 0300hrs on 28 September 2006, KLM will be moving their Bangkok services from Don Muang airport to the new Suvarnabhumi Airport. We are working closely with the Airport Authority of Thailand to ensure a smooth transition between the two airports.

Departures from Bangkok to Taipei and Amsterdam on 27 September will depart from Don Muang Airport.

Departures from Bangkok to Taipei and Amsterdam on 28 September and onward will depart from the new Suvarnabhumi Airport.

WRONG! I just confirmed with United that all their flights in October will be flying into BKK. BKK is the designator for Suvarnabhumi Airport from September 28, 2006 at 03:00 onwards. DBK is the designator for Don Muang from that point onwards. Your mate is flying into Suvarnabhumi, not Don Muang. Tell him to call back United and tell whoever it is that's confirming he's flying into Don Muang to kindly stop spreading false information about something they know nothing about. Short of some major problem, Suvarnabhumi will open in less than a week and Don Muang will close to commerical traffic and United and all other airlines will have no choice in the matter. But I welcome you to go to Don Muang to meet your mate when he arrives. I imagine you'll have lots and lots and lots of time to do some shopping at the new market there while you ponder why there aren't any arriving passengers. :D

Well we shall see.... :o

Yes, we shall. Care to wager anything on it?

I'll tell you on Thursday..flying in at 3:30 in the afternoon, 12 hours after it will (hopefully) start operating.

Or perhaps I cannot tell all on Thursday if it all goes horribly wrong.. :D . Booked Thai all the way through so perhaps half a chance?

More seriously, I am sure it will be ok...still crossing my fingers though :o

You're somewhat retarded on the latest news.

For once Toxin got a date right (although it was changed many times) No more date changes now.

Nothing is definitive until it actually happens - after yrs of promises you'll understand the doubt. :o