Race car importation

Smoky Yunick, ^Bugger you, you were suppose to be reading my other post in the other thread!!^ By a nose hair, I had too much to write so technically I won! tongue.png Thanks for the high praise SBC but I balk at the "drive it like you own it" rule when it's followed with "you bend it you fix it" rule sad.png it rains on my parade to even think of having to do so, can't drive 10/10th's that way wink.png . Even though I have a really good bring it home reputation, it still cuts into your psyche.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Smoky Yunick, ^Bugger you, you were suppose to be reading my other post in the other thread!!^ By a nose hair, I had too much to write so technically I won! tongue.png Thanks for the high praise SBC but I balk at the "drive it like you own it" rule when it's followed with "you bend it you fix it" rule sad.png it rains on my parade to even think of having to do so, can't drive 10/10th's that way wink.png . Even though I have a really good bring it home reputation, it still cuts into your psyche.

WarpSpeed - I do not want to rain on your parade as it makes the race track slippery, so we are revising the rules for the rest of the season:

Rule Number 1 - The more lead laps the better

Rule Number 2 - Memorize the above rules

Very few people know that Smokey even had a trans car. I had the fortune many years ago of sitting at a table where Smokey was talking about his "reading" of the rule books. This was a meeting of various race car owners and crew chiefs from Canada and USA around 1985 to discuss bringing Nascar style racing to Canada, the series was called Cascar. We placed second in the entire first season without major sponsorship. The sponsors were the driver who supplied the ramp truck and motor home, the crew chief who supplied all suspension parts and helped to build the car which was donated by the driver's brother and myself who built the powertrain and supplied all the fuel for the car. I asked Smokey about his famous 'gas tank roll cage', he laughed and said "They were so furious about that, they never checked to see if the fuel was legal." The very day the rule book was handed out for the series I read that section very carefully. At the first race there was a car that would just fly out of the corners way faster than the rest of the field, I said to the crew chief: "protest that car, say he is running funny smelling gas, of which he was." So we all went over to where the techs were checking his fuel drum of which we all had to buy from only one vendor, the techs bought out their testing equipment and said the fuel was within specifications, to which I asked, "I do not see any where in the fuel section on the specifics of the fuel that we buy." The official said it is posted on the wall of the vendor's shop for all to see." I took very close notice of all the testing equipment he used. The next day I went to the vendors shop and got a copy of the specifications. Unknown to the crew chief I was working on a project to reduce pollution for diesel and gas engines, so I had access to the list of various chemicals used in the blending of the fuel , no they did not give us the actual percentages of what was used but that got me to thinking. If I blend my own fuel starting out with the 'legal' fuel as the base and figure out how to get better flame travel and burning within the combustion chamber, we will not only get more power but better mileage as well. Also unknown to the crew chief the ramp truck was running the blend for diesel. James noticed the difference within one tank. I told him what I was doing and to not tell Don that I was already working on the blend for the race car. We two weeks to the next race. I got us a new sponsor for synthetic oils to use in the car and ramp truck etc. The only reason I got this sponsor was he had a dyno set up for testing engines for durability, he also had a chassis dyno. Another week passed and I had a blend ready to try. I took the spare engine to the dyno and ran a few tests. Power did increase but 10 hp but torque was up 25 lbs. By playing with the engine timing I increased this to 15 hp and 30 lbs. NOw it was time to test it in the car on the chassis dyno. Those test results were about the same but one thing this test showed that the dyno did not, the water temp was more steady to me which meant better flame control in the cylinder. One thing I did have at my disposal was a product called Colortune Engine Analyzer. This played a big part of my 'secret blending process'. Today they cost $70 per each and we had one for every cylinder. How else are you going to know what each cylinder is doing? This played a huge part in the tuning of the car and why no one else was allowed to touch the engine but me.

That weekend we knocked off 1 second off the lap record for our local track. The car came out of the corners like a rocket because of the better throttle response. We were using a 2 speed automatic transmission with no torque convertor that made the engine rev much quicker. Also the engine had some other tricks that I had discovered because of the rule book I kept 'bending'. rolleyes.gif That is another story in itself.

post-212980-0-77593000-1439018378_thumb.

Edited by sbcbuilder

Driver Paul Goldsmith (yeah i cheatedwhistling.gif )

The officials would like to know the exact way you cheated so we can change the rules once again.coffee1.gif

Kartman - you did not identify who the builder of this car was? And in doing so you lose all points earned during this race.gigglem.gif

But i was first past the post however i got there and it's an American topic so i still win the racelaugh.png .

Edited by kartman

Driver Paul Goldsmith (yeah i cheatedwhistling.gif )

The officials would like to know the exact way you cheated so we can change the rules once again.coffee1.gif

Kartman - you did not identify who the builder of this car was? And in doing so you lose all points earned during this race.gigglem.gif

But i was first past the post however i got there and it's America so i still win the racelaugh.png .

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Here is a picture of the colortune spark plug still used by many motorbike guys to get correct idle mixtures. And when your rules say stock carb, idle mixture plays a big part in throttle response. We were allowed a 1 inch spacer under the carb of which I made a very fine wire mesh screen sandwiched between two gaskets to help break up the fuel. How far we have come in fuel management systems.

post-212980-0-40400400-1439020643_thumb.

post-212980-0-04937200-1439020850_thumb.