M (media/journalist) Visa

Next month I'm going to go to a Thai embassy/consulate abroad to apply for the "media" visa. In looking at different posts on this forum I realize that not all Thai embassies offer the same services. Is there a particular one I should visit in order to do my m-visa? I was thinking of going to Penang, but I've been there several times already, and would fancy going somewhere different for a change.

Incidentally, this will be my first attempt at applying for this visa. I'm a freelance photographer/writer and I've already arranged to have the editor a US magazine write a letter stating that I'm their "Asia correspondant". I contribute to this magazine and have clips of my work, but I do not receive a salary from them nor am I their employee. Do I stand a chance of being denied? Based on what I've read here, this letter is the most important thing, but I'm starting to have second thoughts, thinking the Thai side might also want to see proof of some sort of salary or something. Can anybody provide any insight into this?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry in one way this is not an answer, but my understanding is that Media/Journalist visas are very rare, without, and even with, sponsorship from an internationally recognised organisation. Further, there are rumored restrictions relating to the area {both structural and geographical} being reported on.

If you are not being put forward for this by a major, then it will be problematic.

One option to consider is going via TAT on the basis of 'travel writing', but you will still need an external sponsor though the magazine you mention may work in this situation. There are exceptions, of course, but difficult to quantify.

Again, sorry not to be more 'helpful' but, this is one visa type which needs to be worked backwards, e.g get an indication of approval first, then apply.

Regards

/edit clarify//

Edited by A_Traveller

Your sponsor does not have to be a major player, but they must have business registration in your country, as the Thai embassy in your country will probably check that they do. That's how it was in my case anyway; my sponsor had changed their address as I was applying and the MFA in BKK told me that the Thai embassy in that country couldn't locate them. That was solved by correcting the address on the application forms and everything was fine after that.

You'll have to show clips of your work and do a personal interview at the MFA before your ap will be approved. Also you must be a stringer or correspondent, meaning you receive a salary or stipend. That won't matter so much on your initial application (as far as I can recall) but when you extend the following year they will want to see that you paid tax here, and in order to pay tax you have to show a statement of income from your employer.

BTW most journos I know entered on a non-immigrant B visa rather than the M visa. It makes no difference as far as Thai immigration here is concerned.

redwood13: Thanks, I'm aware of that post and there's some helpful information there.

sabaijai: Thanks very much. My sponsor is indeed a legitimate publication, and I shouldn't have any problem with that. I guess my only concern is the salary issue, as my work will run in the magazine only sporadically. But if what you say is correct then I don't need to worry about this initially, only later. Can anybody confirm this?

Is Penang the best place to do a non-imm B or M then? I'd rather go somewhere different (been to Penang a few times already), but want to go where I'll stand the best chance.

Thanks again,

Austin

Just in case anybody is interested, I've been in contact with Thai embassies/consulates in Malaysia and Cambodia this morning, and despite what is said in this forum, it appears that it is first necessary to receive permission from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Press Department first when applying for an M visa. This is more or less in line with this document, written by the MOFA.

I then contacted the Press Department, and was told that they must validate your sponsor before moving on the next steps. I'll let you know how this goes, as it might provide help to others in the future.

Hi,

Sorry, I have only just seen your post. You've pretty much got the right information so far. I was initially going to be employed here as an 'English Editor' but it was going to prove difficult to get the required media visa and subsequent work permit, so I am now an 'Executive Manager'. Actually, although I do a bit of English editing my role has become far more than that already in just a few months.

Legally you'll need a work permit here too, even if you are working for free. But that's a whole different subject!

Above all, good luck !!

Andy.