Over 100,000 farmers seek financial aid from BAAC

webfact

Over 100,000 farmers seek financial aid from BAAC

BANGKOK, 3 August 2015 (NNT) - The government has shifted focus towards mounting agricultural debt, urging relevant agencies to get involved and educate farmers on financial management.

Deputy Spokesperson to the Prime Minister’s Office Major General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said that total agricultural debt has climbed to three trillion baht.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed concern for this problem and instructed related units to help affected farmers as soon as possible.

For farmers with informal debt, the Ministry of Justice will provide them with legal counsel, while the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives will look for ways to relieve them of their debt.

More than 100,000 farmers have applied for financial assistance with the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives and the Government Savings Bank.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Finance is expected to come up with relief measures and promote jobs to help farmers struggling with formal debt.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-03 footer_n.gif

How many times has the government try to help the farmer with there financial burden in the last two years. They don't want to learn, they just want free money.

Very easy for types like you to say but I can tell you as an ex-pat living in a rice growing village, the farmers work very hard to grow the crops and then the brokers rip them off and make huge profits.

These people are not looking for a hand out just fair treatment. And this government won't help in that regard because they represent the class to which the brokers belong.

Edited by PilotEd

How many times has the government try to help the farmer with there financial burden in the last two years. They don't want to learn, they just want free money.

Very easy for types like you to say but I can tell you as an ex-pat living in a rice growing village, the farmers work very hard to grow the crops and then the brokers rip them off and make huge profits.

These people are not looking for a hand out just fair treatment. And this government won't help in that regard because they represent the class to which the brokers belong.

If they really always got ripped off a cooperation would solve that because then they mill their own rice. Maybe they are not ripped off but people think the broker make all the money but they invest too. If not there would be a cooperation already milling and reselling. This is what happens all over the world.

I can appreciate the Junta government wanting to help these farmers deal with debt.

But what about the rest of the nation?

The latest survey conducted by the Thai Chamber of Commerce revealed that 94% of Thai workers remain in heavy debt and of these 60% are unofficial loans. 2015-05-01

The government needs to address the whole issue of household debt with a uniform proactive economic policy, not with a "fly by the seat" reactive management. The current administration has proven it is incapable after 14 months of improving the economy.

Edited by Srikcir

Learn? !!!!! Really????? TIT. Who learns from past experiences here?

From what I've observed rice farming is NOT labor intensive. Most of the time is spent watching the rice grow. How a/b this for an idea? Work approx. 40 hours PER WEEK at a job that pays commensurate to your skill/educational level.

Oh and in this new adventure take a class in budgeting i.e. money in/money out.

I also live in a very rural farming area where most of the crop is rice. So don't think you are the only expat living in a rice growing village.

ooooo....i live in a rice griwing village toooooooo

who gives a turd where some foreigner lives....thais always take the easy way out....the easiest short cut ...and live for the moment with no regard for tomorrow....this is thai culture village boys...been like this forever....your village education is letting you down

Small farmers can not make money anywhere in the world.

All small farmers are just wasting their time

Only big farmers can make money anywhere in the world

I have no word for one that tries to grow anything any where on less than 100 rai of land

I have no word for one that tries to grow anything any where on less than 100 rai of land

Rubbish. There are many small farmers making a living. It requires imagination and diversification.

A post has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Rubbish. There are many small farmers making a living. It requires imagination and diversification.

I am sorry to say the facts do not bear you out. However it sounds good and make people feel better

Rubbish is what small farmers make that is all