Thailand Elite - upgrade fee from Easy Access to Individual

I wonder if (perhaps) Gerry can clarify the conditions for upgrading from Easy Access membership (5 years) to full individual membership (20 years)?

The Thailand Elite website says that the upgrade fee is 1,500,000 baht, as opposed to the full cost of 2 million baht for individual membership.

Does that mean that I can use my Elite membership/visa until my 5 years are up and then upgrade to individual membership of 20 years for 1.5 million baht? (I can't believe that Thailand Elite would be so generous as to give me a 500,000 baht discount as a satisfied customer....)

• Like 1

I wonder if (perhaps) Gerry can clarify the conditions for upgrading from Easy Access membership (5 years) to full individual membership (20 years)?

The Thailand Elite website says that the upgrade fee is 1,500,000 baht, as opposed to the full cost of 2 million baht for individual membership.

Does that mean that I can use my Elite membership/visa until my 5 years are up and then upgrade to individual membership of 20 years for 1.5 million baht? (I can't believe that Thailand Elite would be so generous as to give me a 500,000 baht discount as a satisfied customer....)

Indeed.

Once you arrive to the end of your current Easy Access membership, you have the choice.

Upgrade to the full membership, by paying the remaining part of the fee (1,5 million), or (in the case such an offer still exists by that time), take another 5 years membership.

If you upgrade to the full membership, there will be 15 years left.

Another solution is to buy a brand new full membership for 2 million, of course. In that case you have the new membership for 20 years.

A last solution would be to go back to the ED, Tourist, and that kind of visas... But I am pretty sure that you would not want that one :)

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

Indeed.

Once you arrive to the end of your current Easy Access membership, you have the choice.

Upgrade to the full membership, by paying the remaining part of the fee (1,5 million), or (in the case such an offer still exists by that time), take another 5 years membership.

Another solution is to buy a brand new full membership for 2 million, of course. In that case you have the new membership for 20 years.

A last solution would be to go back to the ED, Tourist, and that kind of visas... But I am pretty sure that you would not want that one smile.png

If you can afford a Thai Elite, you can easily afford to put the required 800,000 in a bank and get a retirement visa.

The question is .. how old is the OP ???

I could see a person 45 buying a 5 year, and then going retirement visa....easily.

BTW, if you truly research an Elite Payment schedule, you will discover that (4) 5 years is less expensive than one 20 year until you fully exploit all the golf packages...etc. Plus the fact, the 20 year has fess the 5 year does not.

Why would anyone commit to a 20 year, when they could achieve the same goal incrementally, I will never understand.

Perhaps they do not (nor the seller, Thai Elite) ... understand the future value of money and the opportunity cost of tying up 1,500,000 when it is not required.

Indeed.

A last solution would be to go back to the ED, Tourist, and that kind of visas... But I am pretty sure that you would not want that one smile.png

If you can afford a Thai Elite, you can easily afford to put the required 800,000 in a bank and get a retirement visa.

I could see a person 45 buying a 5 year, and then going retirement visa....easily.

BTW, if you truly research an Elite Payment schedule, you will discover that (4) 5 years is less expensive than one 20 year until you fully exploit all the golf packages...etc. Plus the fact, the 20 year has fess the 5 year does not.

Why would anyone commit to a 20 year, when they could achieve the same goal incrementally, I will never understand.

Perhaps they do not (nor the seller, Thai Elite) ... understand the future value of money and the opportunity cost of tying up 1,500,000 when it is not required.

Like many other things, such as traveling First Class, drinking fine wines or buying high end smart phones, once you try Thailand Elite, you don't want to go back to cheaper, far less enjoyable options.

Thailand Elite is a service that you buy.

In exchange you receive convenience.

Once you enjoyed that kind of convenience, you would never go back to the hassles of the retirement visa route (or any other route, actually).

That is, of course, if 500,000 to 2,000,000 baht does not represents a great deal of money to you.

If it does, then Thailand Elite is not a product to consider looking into.

Personally, I must admit that I do not think about the future value of the money I spend for a First Class ticket to Europe (which evaporates after 11 hours), expensive bottle of wine (even faster), or even a Breguet watch... which costs more than a Thailand Elite full membership.

What you may want to consider is that the Thailand Elite members just do not want to consider the retirement extensions, and just prefer to pay for a super easy PE visa, with all the convenience that comes with it, as well as nice extra perks...

Peace of mind is priceless (for all the other things there is... (That famous credit card)) :)

• Like 1

Thailand Easy Access (TEA) member have to upgrade within the validity of 5 year duration, and member will get the remaining years and the additional 15 years. Eg, if member upgrade on his second years of his TEA, he will get another 18 years.

I am Russell Lim, sale agency of Thailand Elite (Code: SA15/027), hope I am able to help to address some of TE questions.

For more info. and Q&A,visit www.thai-elite.com

• Like 1

whistling.gif Good luck, but frankly I doubt that the so-called Elite visa will still be around in 20 years.

based on the previous Thai political history of the last decade or two..

And I may to skeptical, but I don't see Thailand going through another decade without at least one coup.

Make your own choice.....but as I said..... I wouldn't count on another 10 years without at least one coup and the distinct possibility of losing your money.

As the Thai bargirls say.....It up to you, hansum man.

P.S. I have been in Thailand for 4 coups or attempted coups now.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

whistling.gif Good luck, but frankly I doubt that the so-called Elite visa will still be around in 20 years.

And I may to skeptical, but I don't see Thailand going through another decade without at least one coup.

Make your own choice.....but as I said..... I wouldn't count on another 10 years without at least one coup and the distinct possibility of losing your money.

Well it made it through the last coup, it was slated for closure but then reinvigorated with new options!

Actually for a trading company the 5 year offer makes far more sense as you have an ongoing monetary income.

P.S. I have been in Thailand for 4 coups or attempted coups now.

There it is .... an expert opinion from a veteran of 4 coups to divert us from OP!!! rolleyes.gif

I wish I could go for the 500,000 Baht Elite Card... versus the 800.000 in a cash account. And for those who do not have to blink an eye to pay the 500,000 ... the future value of money certainly comes into play... What person with money wants to tie up 800,000 Baht in a low or no interest bearing cash account? .... When it could be kept in other better yielding investments that are not subject to review of Thai Immigration...

In later age those who have disposable income and use it as they please - good on them - for being smart, wise or just lucky. You know guys - as the old saying goes -- 'You can't take it with you'. And who wants to leave it to the generation of sullen - unruly and unappreciative younger set?

Im with you on that, 100%, only wish i was super rich like you ;)...

Indeed.

Like many other things, such as traveling First Class, drinking fine wines or buying high end smart phones, once you try Thailand Elite, you don't want to go back to cheaper, far less enjoyable options.

Once you enjoyed that kind of convenience, you would never go back to the hassles of the retirement visa route (or any other route, actually).

That is, of course, if 500,000 to 2,000,000 baht does not represents a great deal of money to you.

Personally, I must admit that I do not think about the future value of the money I spend for a First Class ticket to Europe (which evaporates after 11 hours), expensive bottle of wine (even faster), or even a Breguet watch... which costs more than a Thailand Elite full membership.

What you may want to consider is that the Thailand Elite members just do not want to consider the retirement extensions, and just prefer to pay for a super easy PE visa, with all the convenience that comes with it, as well as nice extra perks...

Peace of mind is priceless (for all the other things there is... (That famous credit card)) smile.png

Indeed.

Peace of mind is priceless (for all the other things there is... (That famous credit card)) smile.png

Mihalis. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Gerry is Super rich.... Just extremely rich!

But good luck to him. Probably made some wise business decisions to get there!

The OP is 56 years old, and already a happy holder of an Easy Elite visa for the past year.

As to why I prefer the Elite visa to sticking 800,000 baht in the bank, I answered that question sometime ago on another thread - complicated to explain, but it has a lot to do with respect from certain authorities in Thailand for my own privacy. I'm very happy with my current visa status, which is why I need to look at the Elite visa options for the future.

• Like 2

After 30-plus years of coming in and out of Thailand ... and living here full time for the past 5 years ... I am so happy with Elite Visa. Best move I've ever made here in Thailand. No more need for regular reapplication of tourist visas; no more dragging myself to immigration and waiting and waiting to get an extension; no more border runs to Laos, KL, Singapore, etc.; no more overstays; etc. When my present Elite visa ends in 4 years I will gladly buy another 5-year round.

• Like 2

Indeed.

Ummm .. no and no.

(1) Incredibly, you actually do not understand the term "future value of money" It certainly does not apply in 11 hour, or 11 minute increments. (Google may be your friend here, since your liberal arts degree seems to have left you in the dark regarding Finance.)

(2) You know absolutely nothing about the ease with which a retirement Visa is procured, and the ease with which the reports are done. I pay a service once a year, and they manage the entire process from beginning to end.

There is nothing "First Class: about a stamp that is absolutely equal in value to a Retirement Visa.

(3) Since you are auditioning for "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" .. rest assured, i know people who are both, and they certainly do not require a middle man like Thailand elite to secure a tee time or a Limo from the airport.

The only way that Thai Elite is a really good idea is for those under retirement age who are going to spend year in and year out in the Kingdom.

That being said, thank you for demonstrating that a fool and his money are soon parted.

So Mr. La Teee Da .. do enjoy your evening of overpriced wine, overpriced food, and overpriced "Friend d' Jour."

Ta ta, cheerio, pip pip ... 555 !!

Edited by Guest

I wish I could go for the 500,000 Baht Elite Card... versus the 800.000 in a cash account. And for those who do not have to blink an eye to pay the 500,000 ... the future value of money certainly comes into play... What person with money wants to tie up 800,000 Baht in a low or no interest bearing cash account? .... When it could be kept in other better yielding investments that are not subject to review of Thai Immigration...

In later age those who have disposable income and use it as they please - good on them - for being smart, wise or just lucky. You know guys - as the old saying goes -- 'You can't take it with you'. And who wants to leave it to the generation of sullen - unruly and unappreciative younger set?

You do know the 800,000 only needs to be "seasoned' for a relatively short period of time?

The OP is 56 years old, and already a happy holder of an Easy Elite visa for the past year.

As to why I prefer the Elite visa to sticking 800,000 baht in the bank, I answered that question sometime ago on another thread - complicated to explain, but it has a lot to do with respect from certain authorities in Thailand for my own privacy. I'm very happy with my current visa status, which is why I need to look at the Elite visa options for the future.

ummmm ... you know very little about the methodology and services available to procure an entirely legal retirement visa at a small fraction of what you have spent. and are recommending to others.

Oh well.

Up to you handsum man.

I suppose if we ever meet, I can explain it to you, but here.

"not so much"

ummmm ... you know very little about the methodology and services available to procure an entirely legal retirement visa at a small fraction of what you have spent. and are recommending to others.

Oh well.

Up to you handsum man.

"not so much"

So are you saying that at no time do YOU actually set foot into the immigration office because your " service" does it all for you?

Having lived in Phuket for 14 years, I am very much up to speed on the visa process in Phuket and fully aware of all visa options available for my particular circumstances.

As I mentioned above, it is my choice to have an Easy Elite visa over other visa options, including the retirement visa.

I value my privacy at much more than 500,000 baht for 5 years. This visa serves my needs very well.

• Like 2

Oh well.

Up to you handsum man.

"not so much"

So are you saying that at no time do YOU actually set foot into the immigration office because your " service" does it all for you?

Ciao.

Edited by Guest

Oh well.

Up to you handsum man.

"not so much"

Ciao.

I take it that cute response means YES.

Are you not actually breaking Thai law by NOT appearing at the immigration office. I was told it was a security verification protocol.

Ummm .. no and no.

(1) Incredibly, you actually do not understand the term "future value of money" It certainly does not apply in 11 hour, or 11 minute increments. (Google may be your friend here, since your liberal arts degree seems to have left you in the dark regarding Finance.)

(2) You know absolutely nothing about the ease with which a retirement Visa is procured, and the ease with which the reports are done. I pay a service once a year, and they manage the entire process from beginning to end.

There is nothing "First Class: about a stamp that is absolutely equal in value to a Retirement Visa.

(3) Since you are auditioning for "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" .. rest assured, i know people who are both, and they certainly do not require a middle man like Thailand elite to secure a tee time or a Limo from the airport.

The only way that Thai Elite is a really good idea is for those under retirement age who are going to spend year in and year out in the Kingdom.

That being said, thank you for demonstrating that a fool and his money are soon parted.

So Mr. La Teee Da .. do enjoy your evening of overpriced wine, overpriced food, and overpriced "Friend d' Jour."

Ta ta, cheerio, pip pip ... 555 !!

Retirement visa or Elite Visa? There is no correct answer .. it's about personal choice. Anyway, even if you did have the correct answer, that's no reason to be arrogant and smug about it.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

First moved here at 24, working 3 on 3 off (months), two years later moved here permanently, LTD Company on a Non 'O' and been here since. Same visa with extensions obviously, give my passport to my lawyer/accountant every 90 days/year who does the running around and annual of costs around 5k. Fair enough, my visa is year by year but never ever had a problem. By the way, I am 52 now, touching 53 (do the maths) so in my thinking this so called 'Elite' card/visa is only for those that don't know the system, or want the pointless security of 5/10/20 years visa free problems (with a spa or golf course thrown in) again without knowing the system or just want bragging rights to show off.

If you do things legally by the book, the 'Elite' visa is nothing but a marketing ploy for those gullible enough to fall for it.

First moved here at 24, working 3 on 3 off (months), two years later moved here permanently, LTD Company on a Non 'O' and been here since. Same visa with extensions obviously, give my passport to my lawyer/accountant every 90 days/year who does the running around and annual of costs around 5k. Fair enough, my visa is year by year but never ever had a problem. By the way, I am 52 now, touching 53 (do the maths) so in my thinking this so called 'Elite' card/visa is only for those that don't know the system, or want the pointless security of 5/10/20 years visa free problems (with a spa or golf course thrown in) again without knowing the system or just want bragging rights to show off.

If you do things legally by the book, the 'Elite' visa is nothing but a marketing ploy for those gullible enough to fall for it.

"... annual of costs around 5K" 5K of what? Baht? That seems very cheap for a lawyer to do all that for you four times per year. What am I missing here?

Indeed.

Mihalis. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Gerry is Super rich.... Just extremely rich!

But good luck to him. Probably made some wise business decisions to get there!

Uhm... I was expecting loads of aggressive replies following my post (especially because of the Breguet watch), ... But thanks for the comment :)

By the way, to come back to the subject of this thread, if I had not been wise to become a Thailand Elite member 12 years ago, I would certainly not have stayed. It is the visa (and my friends) that made me stay. Without such a visa available I would be gone since a long time.

(I am pretty sure that some on these threads would love to see me gone though... :) )

Edited by gerry1011

How long has this bickering been going on!!! A 5 year visa plus a few perks for 500k is a great option if you have it, and don't mind spending it. A retirement visa a few K per year and a few more visits to immigration is IMO a good option. To me it looks a lot like sour grapes when I see people hammering the Elite visa. IMO if you've reached retirement age and don't have 500k to "waste" then you haven't exactly been a great success. Make your choice, get your preferred visa and leave the other guys alone. Neither visa is a bad choice.

• Like 1