I have a dream

And wonder if anyone has any advice please.

I would love to own a Chesil Speedster or similar (kit car) in Thailand. There are other manufacturers which I could look at but for the purposes of the question, I'll just keep it with Chesil which is like this:-

post-88123-0-35903400-1438669527_thumb.j

Yes, it does look like a Porsche 356 but gave up on even thinking about importing one of the real things long ago biggrin.png

I'm in no hurry and so have plenty of time to consider any options (if any) of attempting to go about this. I will also make sure that should I try and import one, there are no Porsche emblems on the body or Porsche reference on the paperwork. I would imagine it would either be imported under the VW Beetle or Chesil badge but can confirm that once I know the possibilities. I should also add that this question is mainly about "can it be done" as opposed to the money side. I am prepared to pay whatever taxes are required to get this done all above board, although it would be good to know the best option in economic terms.

I think there are probably three scenarios that I could look at but would be really happy if someone can think of any more. The 3 that spring to mind are:-

a ) I could buy a factory built complete Chesil and all in would be about 28k sterling. Is it possible to import this and just pay the tax on the new price? Or is it possible to pay the tax on the donor VW Beetle?

b ) I could buy a pre-owned Chesil. Is it possible to import this and just pay the tax on the second hand price or would it be the new price? Or again, could I just pay the tax on the VW Beetle?

c ) If I could find a donor Beetle (and garage that could do the work) in Thailand, would it be possible to import the Body Kit which includes the shell ready for painting, doors, bumpers, etc and the rest is taken from the donor. And what vehicle regulations would I need to be careful of?

Sorry about the long winded post but any help or previous experience, would be greatly received wai.gif

Edited by ConnectionNotGuaranteed

Firstly, I know nothing about importing cars so can't give an informed opinion but this topic states that importing second hand cars was scrapped a few years back. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/814935-importing-a-car-on-retirement-visa/page-2

Reading other topics, people seem to be able to import parts but I don't know if that would cover a full body kit, so your option "c" maybe doable. One of the more knowledgeable members could maybe give better informed advice.

There was a guy there in Thailand that used to manufacture a fiberglas kit for those a few a years ago and had a couple left, haven;t heard about in a few years however, they could be used on a beetle platform, as I understand it the beetle has to be shortened slightly to fit the spec wheel base, don't know much more then that anymore, it's been quite a while since researching that or discussing it so sorry can't help much more then that.

If you could find a registered VW Beetle here then you could probably import the kit and rebody the Beetle, you would need a Thai transport engineer to sign off on it at the land transport office. My suggestion is to go to your local land transport office with a fluent translator, printed copies of the brochure etc and ask the question.

There was a guy there in Thailand that used to manufacture a fiberglas kit for those a few a years ago and had a couple left, haven;t heard about in a few years however, they could be used on a beetle platform, as I understand it the beetle has to be shortened slightly to fit the spec wheel base, don't know much more then that anymore, it's been quite a while since researching that or discussing it so sorry can't help much more then that.

Many thanks for the reply WarpSpeed. That's right, they are on a shortened Beetle chassis. That post really gives me hope. wai.gif

If you could find a registered VW Beetle here then you could probably import the kit and rebody the Beetle, you would need a Thai transport engineer to sign off on it at the land transport office. My suggestion is to go to your local land transport office with a fluent translator, printed copies of the brochure etc and ask the question.

That was definitely one of the options I was looking at but didn't know the hoops to go through. Many thanks for the tip casualbiker wai.gif