Importing a car on retirement visa.

Carlie7

As usual there is lots of conflicting advice. I have spent a good deal of money on this car and would not be able to replace it with another car here. If that was so, I would sell it and buy another here as it would be pointless.

Many people here waste their money in many ways, eg sending money to some family they hardly know in Isaan, rather than their own back home. I would not advocate this, but believe in free choice.. I will keep you posted on this probably foolish errand. Thanks for the advice.

Thai Customs will be very interested in how much you've spent on it and your beliefs..

Bring it over. Please report back with their reaction to your claim you are within your rights.

I looked into importing a car into Thailand some time ago, and the costs incurred due to taxes imposed by the Thai Authorities to protect the domestic motor vehicle sector were horrendous.

The car I looked at importing was 3 years old and had a second hand value of about £13K.

With the cost of shipment ( about £550 ) at that time, the total cost needed for the Thai import duties Etc amassed to a whopping £33,000 in their assesment of the vehicles value. ( the value for payment, not the taxes Etc )

So unless you really are so attached to the car, think again unless money is of no importance to you.

Your friend read that for you on April 1st?

And I believe the rule that a Thai national could import a car tax free was taken away some years ago. To many students returned with a brand new Lamborghini.

The exemption still exists.

There is no exemption for motor vehicles.

Poste by Suradit in another thread:

IMPORTING USED / SECONDHAND HOUSEHOLD EFFECTS

Returning Thai residents who have been abroad for one year or longer, for the purposes other than touring are eligible to bring in household effects acquired abroad free of taxes and duties. In addition, nonresidents changing their residence to Thailand may import the household effects subject to the conditions stated below without payment of import taxes duties.

The term “household effects” includes all goods which are normally necessary to equip a self-contained home e.g. furniture, carpets, books, musical instruments, paintings, tableware, stereos, linens, and similar household furnishings, etc. To be eligible for tax and duty free allowance, the importers are required to have owned, possessed, and used the household effects before they return to Thailand to resume residence. It is important that the importers meet the three requirements of ownership, possession, and use. For example, if they owned and possessed the goods without using them, the goods would be subject to regular taxes and duties. Personal effects accompanied with the owner traveling into or out of Thailand, including any goods used or will be used commercially are not eligible as household effects and cannot brought in tax and duty free as the household effects. NOTE: Motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and tobacco are excluded from this relief.

http://www.customs.g...useholdeffects

• Like 2

And I believe the rule that a Thai national could import a car tax free was taken away some years ago. To many students returned with a brand new Lamborghini.

Your assertion is just plain nonsense as brand new vehicles would not be eligible for exemption. As long as a student can prove that he was the registered owner of the vehicle for at least 18 months before importing it whether the car was a Lamborghini or a Lada would not make any difference at all.

Can you please get me a reference that tell that the exemption exists? When we moved here we looked into bringing a car that has been registered for 5 years in my Thai GF:s name and we was told we had to pay full taxes based on the new price of the car. Like 8 times the cars value in taxes. We were also told that there had been an exception some years before we moved here but they had to take it away because is was used by students that had been studying abroad to import super sport cars for rich people that didn't wanna pay tax.

• Like 1

There are tons of cars imported here. The gray market for cars is huge.

I'm not sure where you are from. Lets say UK. You need to contact one of the shops that are already in the business of importing eg. sports car from the UK (Most cars come either from the UK or Japan to my knowledge). They will import the car for you and probably get it in for a reasonable price.

Can you please get me a reference that tell that the exemption exists? When we moved here we looked into bringing a car that has been registered for 5 years in my Thai GF:s name and we was told we had to pay full taxes based on the new price of the car. Like 8 times the cars value in taxes. We were also told that there had been an exception some years before we moved here but they had to take it away because is was used by students that had been studying abroad to import super sport cars for rich people that didn't wanna pay tax.

Im not sure whether this exist anymore or not, but a Thai friend of mine brought his BMW X6M in from the UK a while ago, as he studied there. Probably around 2010-2012.

Edited by mortenaa

Sell the vehicle; buy another one in Thailand. Plus parts/service support may be an issue for a foreign brand in Thailand.

Letting go of a favorite vehicle can be hard to do sometimes...I've shed a tear or two over the years also in letting some of my vehicles go because I was moving to another country....I'm still shedding tears over a Pontiac Firebird and a Chevrolet Chevelle.

As others have said to include a quote directly from the Thai Customs website, there is no exemption/tax free status for a retirement visa.

There are tons of cars imported here. The gray market for cars is huge.

I'm not sure where you are from. Lets say UK. You need to contact one of the shops that are already in the business of importing eg. sports car from the UK (Most cars come either from the UK or Japan to my knowledge). They will import the car for you and probably get it in for a reasonable price.

Good advice. This is the only way you will have a chance on importing - and registering - one

It's not just the importing of the car it's also the legal registration of the car.. It would need to undertake an emissions test.. Thailand is currently at the Euro 4 level for petrol passenger cars..

I believe that the emissions test depends by the age of the vehicle. That is, it have to pass the requirements that were in effect at the time the vehicle was manufactured.

It's not just the importing of the car it's also the legal registration of the car.. It would need to undertake an emissions test.. Thailand is currently at the Euro 4 level for petrol passenger cars..

I believe that the emissions test depends by the age of the vehicle. That is, it have to pass the requirements that were in effect at the time the vehicle was manufactured.

Maybe... But TIT!

HERE are the specifications:

http://transportpolicy.net/index.php?title=Thailand:_Light-duty:_Emissions

Im not sure whether this exist anymore or not, but a Thai friend of mine brought his BMW X6M in from the UK a while ago, as he studied there. Probably around 2010-2012.

And we moved here 2012, when they told us the exemption was taken away. See the average student can't afford a X6M, most would have brought it for somebody.

• Like 1

And this..................

And we moved here 2012, when they told us the exemption was taken away. See the average student can't afford a X6M, most would have brought it for somebody.

Well except that many students outside the country aren't necessarily average, they're of high so Thai's generally. But on the whole I agree with you.

Well except that many students outside the country aren't necessarily average, they're of high so Thai's generally. But on the whole I agree with you.

That particular guy is well off I guess. I haven't really talked about his financial status, but I don't think he would have bought that X6M in Thailand, as it would be unreasonably expensive. The UK car prices are very cheap on an international scale.

I posted in the beginning of the thread ,as I said without him ( my friend that is)checking I sent a car over here for him ,he never even got to see it ,forget it ,you cannot unless you are super rich and have no cares about money ,as to personal goods when the wife and I came here 10 years ago ,She imported the goods in Her name ,I did not even go to customs,she and her sister went ,no problem whatsoever no charges on anything

Edited by i claudius

If you want to bring a car to Thailand expect it to:

• be very complicated
  • take outrageous paperwork
  • have extreme high taxes 200% up based on cc and power
  • have taxes based on new price of the car, (My car from 2005 they evaluated to 110,000$ even tho it was 2012)
  • take long time

Take it to Malaysia is apparently simpler, and if things have not changed you can have it registered there (or even in your home county) byt then you have to take the car out of Thailand ever 30, 60 or if it was 90 days (can't remember was two years ago i checked)

Your assertion is just plain nonsense as brand new vehicles would not be eligible for exemption. As long as a student can prove that he was the registered owner of the vehicle for at least 18 months before importing it whether the car was a Lamborghini or a Lada would not make any difference at all.

EK is correct it was scrapped a few years ago. There is no tax exemption on new cars Thai or not

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Not on a retirement Visa but you can if you have a work permit.

Permanent Importation

A person with a non-immigrant visa and a work permit valid for at least one year may import one new or used vehicle for personal use.

Note: New or used vehicles permanently imported into Thailand are generally subject to very high taxes and duties (often around 200 percent of the vehicle's value).

Any prospective importer is required to have an import permit from the Ministry of Commerce (MOC). Attempts to import without the correct permit will result in the vehicle's seizure and the imposition of large fines. The information and forms on the Ministry of Commerce website are in Thai only, and owing to the complicated nature of importing a car permanently into Thailand, it is advisable to use a Thai-speaking agent. The import permit must be issued before the vehicle's arrival in Thailand.

Required Documents:

The following documents are required for the permanent import of a new vehicle:

• A valid non-immigrant visa
  • A work permit valid for at least one year
  • An import declaration form
  • A bill of loading or air waybill
  • Sale documents
  • The Delivery Order (Customs Form No. 100/1)
  • Foreign Transaction Form 2 in cases where the CIF value of the imported vehicles exceeds 500,000 Baht
  • An insurance premium invoice

Used or second hand vehicles will also require the following documents:

• House registration certificate (Tabien Baan), land title (Chanote) or condo title deed
  • Passport
  • A vehicle registration certificate indicating that the imported vehicle was used abroad for at least 18 months
  • An import permit from the Ministry of Commerce

Procedure

At the port of entry into Thailand, the importer or agent must submit the relevant documents. Once the Customs Department has assessed the taxes and duties necessary and the importer has paid them, the importer must present the receipt issued by the Cashier Division to the Customs Department.  After this, the vehicle will be released by the Customs Department.

3 minutes ago, Texasjoe said:

Not on a retirement Visa but you can if you have a work permit.

Permanent Importation

A person with a non-immigrant visa and a work permit valid for at least one year may import one new or used vehicle for personal use.

Note: New or used vehicles permanently imported into Thailand are generally subject to very high taxes and duties (often around 200 percent of the vehicle's value).

Any prospective importer is required to have an import permit from the Ministry of Commerce (MOC). Attempts to import without the correct permit will result in the vehicle's seizure and the imposition of large fines. The information and forms on the Ministry of Commerce website are in Thai only, and owing to the complicated nature of importing a car permanently into Thailand, it is advisable to use a Thai-speaking agent. The import permit must be issued before the vehicle's arrival in Thailand.

Required Documents:

The following documents are required for the permanent import of a new vehicle:

• A valid non-immigrant visa
  • A work permit valid for at least one year
  • An import declaration form
  • A bill of loading or air waybill
  • Sale documents
  • The Delivery Order (Customs Form No. 100/1)
  • Foreign Transaction Form 2 in cases where the CIF value of the imported vehicles exceeds 500,000 Baht
  • An insurance premium invoice

Used or second hand vehicles will also require the following documents:

• House registration certificate (Tabien Baan), land title (Chanote) or condo title deed
  • Passport
  • A vehicle registration certificate indicating that the imported vehicle was used abroad for at least 18 months
  • An import permit from the Ministry of Commerce

Procedure

At the port of entry into Thailand, the importer or agent must submit the relevant documents. Once the Customs Department has assessed the taxes and duties necessary and the importer has paid them, the importer must present the receipt issued by the Cashier Division to the Customs Department.  After this, the vehicle will be released by the Customs Department.

the thread is from 2015, and most posters and all ( and there are a lot of them ) previous threads on the subject have come to the same conclusion, '' it can not be done''