Android one Introduced in Thailand. Best value for money.

sjonburi

I bought this phone as a cheap replacement for a broken S5.

Just a warning to anybody thinking about buying this phone, it is a little slow, that's expected from the spec's it has but its still very use able.

The GPS however is hopeless. Forget about a position lock when in your house or car.

GPS toolbox app agps data download doesn't really help.

Bit of a bugger really because other than that the phone could have been a winner.

Currently running Android 6.0

Sent from my i-mobile IQ II using Tapatalk

I've been needing to replace my crap phone and following this thread. This is first reference to quality of gps. Navigating Thai roads is critical for a phone for me. Anyone else have any gps experience to report??

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a warning to anybody thinking about buying this phone, it is a little slow, that's expected from the spec's it has but its still very use able.

The GPS however is hopeless. Forget about a position lock when in your house or car.

Bit of a bugger really because other than that the phone could have been a winner.

I've been needing to replace my crap phone and following this thread. This is first reference to quality of gps. Navigating Thai roads is critical for a phone for me. Anyone else have any gps experience to report??
For lack of a better term, id say i was Phone GPS enthusiast.

I use my phone on my motorbike with Locus maps with routes created on PC using garmin basecamp program.

This phone will get a gps lock eventually on my motorbike but like i said before it takes more than 5 minutes to get a lock. In the car forget about getting a lock at all. Samsung tablet and S5 Phone get a lock in seconds indoor and out. In side car etc.. flawless.

Unless i got a defective unit, for gps use id recommend choose something else.

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Tapatalk

For lack of a better term, id say i was Phone GPS enthusiast.

I use my phone on my motorbike with Locus maps with routes created on PC using garmin basecamp program.

This phone will get a gps lock eventually on my motorbike but like i said before it takes more than 5 minutes to get a lock. In the car forget about getting a lock at all. Samsung tablet and S5 Phone get a lock in seconds indoor and out. In side car etc.. flawless.

Unless i got a defective unit, for gps use id recommend choose something else.

Yes could be something related to your phone. Hopefully others will chime in with their own experience. I googled reviews and found generally the impression of the phone was it was a decent phone for the money. Not a game changer though.

The GPS performance is poor on this phone in my experience too. If navigation is important, this is probably not the phone you want.

Others have mentioned GPS issues in this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/864017-i-mobile-iq-ii/

The IQ II is a great phone for the money, but they cut some corners to get there: GPS is poor, camera fair, no gyro, and no compass.

The GPS performance is poor on this phone in my experience too. If navigation is important, this is probably not the phone you want.

Others have mentioned GPS issues in this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/864017-i-mobile-iq-ii/

The IQ II is a great phone for the money, but they cut some corners to get there: GPS is poor, camera fair, no gyro, and no compass.

Thanks for the info. I followed the link and saw a post from Maestro suggesting an app be installed : (I'm not entirely sure what assistance data is)

Running the app GPS Status for the first time, I had to download the GPS assistance data to get a fast GPS location fix.

I guess this will help also with other apps that use GPS (navigators, camera, etc)

I followed the link and saw a post from Maestro suggesting an app be installed : (I'm not entirely sure what assistance data is)

Running the app GPS Status for the first time, I had to download the GPS assistance data to get a fast GPS location fix.

I guess this will help also with other apps that use GPS (navigators, camera, etc)

Here's a post I made in another topic.

While GPS may be accurate, if you haven't used the instrument for a while (or have moved a great distance before using it again) then GPS can take forever to get an accurate stable reading.

According to Wikipedia: Assisted GPS

Some standalone GPS [chipsets], when used in poor conditions, will be unable to fix a position because of satellite signal fracture and must wait for better satellite reception. A GPS unit may require as long as 12.5 minutes (the time needed to download the GPS almanac and ephemerides) to resolve the problem and be able to provide a correct location.

Standalone GPS provides first position in approximately 30–40 seconds. A standalone GPS needs orbital information of the satellites to calculate the current position. The data rate of the satellite signal is only 50 bit/s, so downloading orbital information like ephemerides and the almanac directly from satellites typically takes a long time, and if the satellite signals are lost during the acquisition of this information, it is discarded and the standalone system has to start from scratch

In A-GPS [(Assisted-GPS)] , the [mobile phone network operator] deploys an A-GPS server. These A-GPS servers download the orbital information from the satellite and store it in the database. An A-GPS capable device can connect to these servers and download this information using mobile network radio bearers such as GSM, CDMA, WCDMA, LTE or even using other wireless radio bearers such as Wi-Fi. Usually the data rate of these bearers is high, hence downloading orbital information takes less time.

Also with A-GPS, the Mobile Network operator can provide the GPS software with the precise time, which is necessary for the GPS software to accurately calculate distance based on satellite signal reception time differentials.

I once had an HTC smartphone that was sold primarily in the US that always had constant GPS position discovery issues. It was later found that HTC had preprogrammed the software to download the Assisted-GPS data over the Internet from their Taiwan-based servers (where HTC's phone development is based) that contained A-GPS data for Taiwan. Lots of people complained about it but their own in-house testing (in Taiwan) never found any problems with A-GPS Time-To-First-Fix, as they couldn't duplicate the issue so never issued a patch. Wasn't until a custom rom developer took a look at the code and noticed the Taiwan aGPS references. Idiots. Them and us.

There is an App called "GPS Test" that may show how quick the Satellites are picked up and there are settings/options concerning AGPS. I'm no expert, it may be rubbish!

It may Not be compatible with the IQ II but seems to work OK on my HTC.

Edited by Linesy

Poor GPS and lack of compass are not very good if one wishes to do occasional geocaching.

The FM radio app broke down after the Marshmallow upgrade. The app requires permission to use microphone (won't start without the permission). It also starts sometimes automatically and fills the earphones with static noise.

There is an App called "GPS Test" that may show how quick the Satellites are picked up and there are settings/options concerning AGPS. I'm no expert, it may be rubbish!

It may Not be compatible with the IQ II but seems to work OK on my HTC.

I'd have to buy it to test it. :(
No, It is free on the Google Playstore. Chartcross Ltd. Is the one, not the Plus which you pay for or the other ones with the same name. Edited by Linesy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Android 6.0.1 should be right around the corner.

Got an OTA update to 6.0.1 today (Build # MMB29K). About 80 MB, took a couple of minutes.

I'm not au fait enough with technology to know what has changed (if any).

Unfortunately, my Hotmail still does not sync with GMail on my phone.

Tested the AIS 4G trial on the IQ II today, and wow it works. Pretty sweet, fastest speed test results I got were 72.33 Mbs, and that was to Singapore.

I am tempering my hopes BUT it looks like GPS and navigation are now WORKING FINE on my IQ II. I don't know if it was the 6.0.1 update, or a Google Maps app update or what, but it is working as well as any other android device. Hoping that continues.

• 4 weeks later...

So if the GPS issue seems to have been solved with the latest OS update based on various posts here, are there any other downsides/problems associated with this model now?

I have been happy with mine, and the wife loves hers. It performs much better than you would expect for the price.

I've had better cameras in phones, but then again those phones cost three times as much.

No regrets here...

So if the GPS issue seems to have been solved with the latest OS update based on various posts here, are there any other downsides/problems associated with this model now?

My only negative is the paucity of cases and screen protectors for the iQ-II.

I'm happy with the silicone case that came in the box but, if you are a vapid youngster who likes to change cases every quarter, your options are relatively limited.

My only negative is the paucity of cases and screen protectors for the iQ-II.

I'm happy with the silicone case that came in the box but, if you are a vapid youngster who likes to change cases every quarter, your options are relatively limited.

The leatherette case I got with mine is good.

The only complaint I have is that you cannot use the camera with the flap help back. There should have been a cut-out in the flap. But that is a minor issue.

A screen protector was put on the front of my phone when I bought it.

I too got the upgrade earlier this week and everything seems to be working fine.

• 2 months later...

Anyone knows whether this iQ-II phone comes with a built-in Voice Recorder?

If not, any recommendation for a free small simple App?

I just want to record short messages to myself when out and about - Press to record, Press to Pause/Stop. No need for bells & whistles (no fancy editing required).

Thanks for any tips.

I just want to record short messages to myself when out and about - Press to record, Press to Pause/Stop. No need for bells & whistles (no fancy editing required).

Thanks for any tips.

Most Android phones come with "Sound Recorder" app pre-installed which will let you record short messages.

Thanks for any tips.

Most Android phones come with "Sound Recorder" app pre-installed which will let you record short messages.

Thanks - I couldn't find the pre-installed app, but will recheck.

Even if they don't that's kinda the point of apps..and the play store.. You can find one easily.

VoiceNotes by Benju looks OK.. Small and easy to use.. If you don't put a title it just time/date stamps the recording.

Edited by casualbiker