American Opening a Bangkok Bank Account

I am sorry if this has been asked before.

I am an American trying to open an account with Bangkok Bank. I was told that I needed my tax I.D.

I gave them a W-9 form (request for Tax I.D. number). (The W-9 is a form given to the requester, which is Bangkok Bank.) They would not accept W-9.

Can someone please tell me what I need to open a Bank account with Bangkok Bank.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you very kindly.

I'm not sure I understand the exact problem, but as a US citizen your tax ID number is your social security number. Can you not try just giving them that, if they want a number, and don't accept a W-9 form?

As to what you need to open an account with Bangkok Bank, every branch has their own rules and each branch can enforce a different set of rules according to who you speak to and what day you go. I wish this was an exaggeration , but a little research using the search function here will let you know that it is not.

Just keep trying different branches on different days and you will succeed eventually. Their website has information that different branches may or may not adhere to:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

The W-9 is your report of your tax number (for most that will be SSN). It is not a request for a number as your posts seems to indicate (but admit can not understand it well). Normally that is final requirement for US citizens to open account - copy of passport/visa and proof of home address (or letter from Embassy or local references are also part of process).

Banks all over the world are starting to treat Americans like they don't want their business.With FATCA it's going to get worse before

It gets better.I didn't know the U.S. Has so much power in other countries.But aparently it does.Getting more like the German Gestapo every day.

When I opened my initial accounts in Bangkok Bank a few years ago I was first told I needed a letter from the US embassy as proof of residence. I knew it cost around $50 US to get one there. I finally had a meeting with the manager and was able to open them without the embassy letter. But a few weeks ago I was there and the manager told me things have changed and the letter is now not optional, at least in my branch. However they do accept a Thai Drivers License instead, so that is what I used to open a new fixed deposit account needed for my visa retirement extension. You can also get the proof of residence much cheaper at the Immigration Office you do your 90 day report to, I think around 300 bath or $10 US instead of the higher price at your embassy. My Bangkok Bank branch is in Lumpini on Rama4 Road. Also I agree with the above statement that your tax ID number is your social security number. Hope this helps.

The problem with Bangkok Bank is that many branches still believe that you must have a work permit in order to open an account with them

That used to be the case but that policy was rescinded long ago. What you have to do is tell the CSR that you are dealing with to call the head office in Bangkok to obtain the correct code to input during the application process that will override the "WP" requirement on Bangkok Banks computer system

After all these years it is still unknown why Bangkok Bank won't change the requirement in their computerized system but they won't so the work around is to call the main office to obtain the override code

All banks and branches are different, heck everyday is different to them in terms of requirements etc. some use common sense, some do not. As said before tax ID is your social security number and the bank should have given you the reporting form. You just put your ssan on it sign it and finished.