koh chang again

bentarm44

Was on the island again last month, couple of things.

Place very quiet, obviously. I like it like that.

The Russians seem to be back, although mostly young females; which is new, and a bit odd.

Sounds like a bit of Dengue (spelling?) fever about, more than for a while.

One resident who suffered, and asked why he'd seen no "leaf blower" anti mossie spraying this year was informed

"machine brake"; say no more.

Kai Bae will never be the same; farewell "Morgans"; come back soon Ritchie.

Expect some sort of "outbreak" in Lonely Beach this season.

Soi dog numbers seem down, who do I thank??

Very few tourists here in Pattaya also. Was with a friend last night who just came from Hua Hin. Said it was dead. I remember not long ago when KC was packed with tourists! A bit of a relief now I guess?

Dengue has always been a problem there. And especially during the rainy season.

Thanks for the pics! Looks like you had some nice weather!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update on Morgans.

Ritchie still around, but not encouraged by the high rents now being asked for suitable new sites.

Even allowing for the 7 years later bit etc; the current situation reflects the all too well known attitude of locals to farang; and their view of good business practice.

The road down the west side is a bit distressed again, with majorish stuff between the fast ferry terminal and white sands (single track).

The stretch from Kai Bae to Bang Boa is down to about 70% of width in parts, due to grow back. Lots of road side monkeys still, and now signs up requesting people not to feed them.

And now a Big C is being built, close to the Tesco Lotus.

The place I stay in KB was empty apart from me!

• 1 month later...

Was K C again last week, getting busy there; probably as busy as I've ever seen it for mid November.

The Germans and Italians were noticeable. Road from fast ferry to white sand STILL single track in places.

Sad to say Morgans will not be back this season; a big hole in K B; which now contains several Thai street food outlets in its place.

This is not seen as an improvement by many; and the small soi leading to Nang Nual is the same width (maybe even smaller) than before the demolition took place.

Writing on the wall pretty clear here.

Sadly, someone seems to have brought back the verminous soi dogs; seemingly likewise a TVF member (dutch footware+neck topper).

Even the Thai's seem sick of these articles; they seemed to keep off the road though; at least when I was driving.

• 2 months later...

Was K C again earlier this week.

Road from fast ferry to white sands ok again, and no road works.

Increasing hordes of joined at the hip Chinese people, though not to the scale of Chiang Mai yet.

Less Russians, but the yanks are back in small numbers.

Kai Bae busy, many euro's back again.

General roads and driving not too bad, and soi/beach dog numbers seemed down.

Still easily possible to have a decent break on this island, and not break the bank.

A bit puzzled at the outbreak of muzak, live and recorded, at some K B eateries.

Maybe it's a Chinese thing.

• 1 month later...

White Sand looking its best. After many previous visits and a lot of water play we last year got a skin rash from the water, and no wonder. If one coming down the hill towards White Sand, stop at the first 7/11 on the right, behind the shop there is a sort of walkway down to the beach and a small river running along the walkway. It is a sewer, green and goofy and straight in to the sea. Absolutly disgusting and in this day and age should have been cleaned up, not only this place but all over the island. post-67833-0-39545500-1458966801_thumb.j