Peace and security 'desired most'

Lite Beer

Peace and security 'desired most'
WASAMON AUDJARINT
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- NATIONWIDE SURVEY OF 53,000 'LISTENED TO WISHES OF THE PEOPLE', RESEARCHERS SAY

SOCIETIES with harmony, peace and security are most desired by Thais, according to a survey conducted with more than 50,000 people - aimed at raising awareness of what can be done to create a Thailand closer to what people want.

The research project was conducted by the For Khonthai Foundation and the Centre for Economic and Business Forecasting at the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce.

It survey of 52,947 people was done between February and April, and has been billed as the Kingdom's first tangible platform that listened to the wishes of the people.

A goal was to gauge people's wishes to create "active citizenship", explained UTCC rector Saowanee Thairungrote. "To have people asking themselves what they can do is the most important process [to achieve successful reform], as they will reinforce the commitment," Saowanee said.

The survey discovered that around 28 per cent of respondents wished to see a harmonious, peaceful and secure society without crime or social threats, with 31 per cent saying that to achieve that goal they themselves have to be generous, law abiding, and respect other people's rights and be honest.

One quarter of respondents wished to see a progressive Thailand with a strong economy and competency, while 48 per cent look forward to building cooperation and supporting policies to achieve the goal.

Some 9 per cent wished for a corruption-free Thailand, with 43 per cent saying that would be realised by people following the law and being conscious of their roles in society.

Results from different target groups proved enlightening, Saowanee said.

For example, when categorised by regions, Saowanee said it became clear that most people from the South and the Northeast wish to see a peaceful Thailand, implying a tolerance of political situations.

When categorised by age, most people aged 20 and below called for a thought-provoking educational system. This showed the importance that youths place on education, the researcher said.

Khonthai Foundation chairman Vichien Phongsathorn believed the survey results could be used to stimulate Thais. "They are generous by nature. We just need a platform like this to emphasise what they can really do for society," Vichien said.

Juree Vichit-Vadakan, chairwoman of the National Reform Council's panel on ethics, good governance and countering corruption, said she felt more hope for the country after seeing the results. She highlighted how Thais need to be conscious of what they are doing.

"We don't need to wait for laws to conduct us if we can conduct ourselves," she said, emphasising that the law was of no use to those determined to do wrong.

NRC member Buntoon Sretha-sirote supported more efforts being launched to tap people's voices. "I also managed a website to receive comments from people on how they want the interim constitution to be. I believe that reconciliation can truly happen in Thailand if people are alerted to what they can achieve," Buntoon said.

Chairman of the Local Develop-ment Institute, Poldej Pinprateep, agreed with the survey results, citing his countrywide project on public hearings that covered more than 90,000 people. "More than 90 per cent of participants also wished to live in harmony," he said.

He emphasised the importance of people's voices being heard as "Thai-land should be a people-led state".

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Peace-and-security-desired-most-30266175.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-08

"More than 90 per cent of participants also wished to live in harmony," he said.

In another poll, Thais overwhelmingly said that they wanted unicorns, and rainbows.

Implied in this puff-piece is that Thais do NOT want politicians, or democracy.

of course they want peace and security.

Who doesn't?

Waiting to see how this style of polling is used to deny people their right to self-determination...

Same old rubbish, same theme......ha ha---correction centers nationwide---denied opposition -----anti government brainwashing camps--- self determination when it is fit to operate NOT when you think, because of your agenda.

Who doesn't?

Waiting to see how this style of polling is used to deny people their right to self-determination...

Got any new records ? because the one you have now is getting very old.

If an overall minority of voters manage to elect a government who promise to take all the money from those who didn't vote for them and hand it out (while keeping most for themselves), do you think that is really democracy ?.

You communists are all the same : but what would you do when everybody else's money runs out ?.

How noble of all those being surveyed. Sure nobody wished for a good economy and income possibilities, or living in a country that attracts foreign investors without the need to "lure" them into a 49/51% scam... Anyone wished for freedom of speech? Democracy, anyone? Oh, what a noble and selfless population we have, great!!!! saai.gif

Who doesn't?

If an overall minority of voters manage to elect a government who promise to take all the money from those who didn't vote for them and hand it out (while keeping most for themselves), do you think that is really democracy ?.

You communists are all the same : but what would you do when everybody else's money runs out ?.

Same old made-up rubbish from the anti democracy crowd. Back up your nonsense with facts or clam up instead of boring the rear end off us all.

Who doesn't?

The generals and the elites denying democracy, much less basic human rights, to the Thai people is indeed a very very old record.

You communists are all the same

cheesy.gif

didn't I just mention something about you not thinking before you post...

Who doesn't?

The generals and the elites denying democracy, much less basic human rights, to the Thai people is indeed a very very old record.

cheesy.gif

But the General didn't kill 3000 people, yet....like the man in Dubai with his war against drugs (with officially half the dead one had nothing to do with drugs). To not be shot on the street ranks very high in my human rights. While getting 500 Baht for the vote is ranking relative low. To be honest it doesn't matter who you vote for.....different face same corruption.

Who doesn't?

Same old made-up rubbish from the anti democracy crowd. Back up your nonsense with facts or clam up instead of boring the rear end off us all.

The purpose of Democracy is to get the most able person to the top and have checks to guarantee that this person is working for the benefit of all and not abusing the power.

If that isn't working Democracy lost its only purpose and it just doesn't matter if we have a leader who bought the election or if the leader is the result of a coup. Well the difference is 500 Baht at election day.

But the General didn't kill 3000 people, yet...

While it's true that the Thai Military, and their agents (CSOC/ISOC), have killed way more than 3,000 citizens over the last 80 years, there is no need to infer that the current incarnation hasn't learned that killing their own looks "bad".

Sure, Field Marshall Prayut had to issue the orders which resulted in many deaths, but he was only doing this because he is a noble, Democratic warrior.

Who doesn't?

US ALL you said cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif you mean your 7--but today I see you have an OLDbe joined./ and straight onto this topic amzing for no one on an agenda. If you crowd were not on an agenda maybe like the majority of us you would enjoy most topics-------This is what TVF is about,

Who doesn't?

cheesy.gif

But the General didn't kill 3000 people, yet....like the man in Dubai with his war against drugs (with officially half the dead one had nothing to do with drugs). To not be shot on the street ranks very high in my human rights. While getting 500 Baht for the vote is ranking relative low. To be honest it doesn't matter who you vote for.....different face same corruption.

I will need to get my Thai family to complain to the man in Dubai as they didn't get 500 baht to vote, they got a paltry 300 per household.

Can you please provide statistics and facts to back up your constant claims of this elusive 500 baht.

You also might want to ask Korn to come to your way of thinking, as he didn't seem as upset about being paid to vote as much as a miserable old farang who isn't in a position to change a damn thing about how things work in this country we chose to reside.

Not to be shot on the streets huh? Please tell us how many people have been shot on the street you live?

I don't hear of many people being shot on the streets of Korat either, or Pattaya, or Patong, or Hua Hin, I guess those poor people down in Yala, who have been getting shot at for th past 10 years have more of a right to complain than you and your typical one sided selective posts.

Who doesn't?

555555! Communists! Man, you are a piece of work. Never heard people opposing the current junta as communists, but then again I usually ignore your ramblings.

cheesy.gif

I will need to get my Thai family to complain to the man in Dubai as they didn't get 500 baht to vote, they got a paltry 300 per household.

Can you please provide statistics and facts to back up your constant claims of this elusive 500 baht.

You also might want to ask Korn to come to your way of thinking, as he didn't seem as upset about being paid to vote as much as a miserable old farang who isn't in a position to change a damn thing about how things work in this country we chose to reside.

Not to be shot on the streets huh? Please tell us how many people have been shot on the street you live?

I don't hear of many people being shot on the streets of Korat either, or Pattaya, or Patong, or Hua Hin, I guess those poor people down in Yala, who have been getting shot at for th past 10 years have more of a right to complain than you and your typical one sided selective posts.

300 Baht...they got cheated badly.....in some swing areas they even paid 1000 and by collecting the money from several parties it was really good money.

I recall a pickup truck even shouting the 300 Baht.....but at that time I thought they are shouting the 300 Baht so everyone is happy that just he/she got 200 Baht more.....Now I have to correct myself, some really got only 300 Baht.

Korn is only upset that he doesn't has the funds to buy more votes......of course he isn't upset he is part of the system.....Maybe, the Dems are a little bit better than Shinawatra and Banharn.....but only a little bit.

In Nakhon Si Thammerat you could hear shooting frequently and I know 1 case of someone shot 50 meter from my wifes house there (but next street). At 3000 dead it spreads thin all over Thailand.

Yes it is bad in Yala.....take your calender and look who has started it. It was Mr. T who ignite it by doing several unfair things. (But to be fair it might got worse even if he would have done his best).

Who doesn't?

555555! Communists! Man, you are a piece of work. Never heard people opposing the current junta as communists, but then again I usually ignore your ramblings.

No but many of the Red Shirts are former communists and come with the 1960s commie rhetoric. That why they are called Communists. Of course that is untrue as the Shinawatra clan and many others are exactly the opposite of communists. And within the people who oppose Thaksin are also many communists.

H90, it doesn't matter whose snouts are in the trough once they get there, they don't care about their electorate, corruption is cultural in this country.

Anyone who doesn't believe that the armed services were not fiddling and cooking the books is naive.

Who doesn't?

cheesy.gif

To be honest it doesn't matter who you vote for.....different face same corruption.

I wasn't aware that anyone voted for this general...

To not be shot on the street ranks very high in my human rights.

One would hardly know that based on your completely unsympathetic comments regarding the protesters in 2010...

As for the number of Thai people killed on the watch of this particular general, that is something we don't know, do we? However your use of the 'but Thaksin' argument has been noted...

As far as the number of Thai people killed by their own military, I imagine that historians could come up with a number much higher than 3000... whistling.gif

Who doesn't?

No but many of the Red Shirts are former communists and come with the 1960s commie rhetoric. That why they are called Communists. Of course that is untrue as the Shinawatra clan and many others are exactly the opposite of communists. And within the people who oppose Thaksin are also many communists.

many of the PAD are former communists, too. So what?

Who doesn't?

The purpose of Democracy is to get the most able person to the top and have checks to guarantee that this person is working for the benefit of all and not abusing the power.

If that isn't working Democracy lost its only purpose and it just doesn't matter if we have a leader who bought the election or if the leader is the result of a coup. Well the difference is 500 Baht at election day.

you understand nothing of democracy which explains much of your posting...

So, 'peace and security' within a democratic framework. Lots of countries in the West are struggling to find an acceptable balance. Ask Snowden.

Edited by rubl

you understand nothing of democracy which explains much of your posting...

Than please enlighten us.....

Who doesn't?

Do you have any kind of proof to back up your claims about many red shirts being (former) commies or are you just pulling this out of your behind?

many of the PAD are former communists, too. So what?

yes true....no problem, I was just explaining why many people call them commies.....

at PAD were also a lot of very right wing.....strange mix

"Some 9 per cent wished for a corruption-free Thailand"

I think that survey result explains a lot about Thailand. Corruption is perfectly acceptable in order to conduct business affairs and generate income.

Yes, this was the only thing reported that stood out to me.

The rest of it was "Mom and apple pie" or is that "Mom and sticky rice"?