Thai people the way they are, not jokish so much.

BeefSlapper

Hi. Can u guys explain me please this one.

I live in Thailand 2 years now and I feel like people here are not very friendly in the sense they not open and keep for themself.

And they not very funny too, like they dont joke, dont prank, dont do stupid jokes no windups...

I don't have any thai mates like friends, then they hard to trust too, if u know what I mean.

I im from EU im 35, at 24 I moved to UK for 9 years working all the time.

In UK I must say i cant complain on english guys, never probs, always funny and at work it was constant windup. Never experienced any racist things or anything like that. And people in UK or EU friendly and open, u can joke with people u just met and that.

I know here its asian culture, may b in not familiar with it. Just wonder is it thailand or its sumilar in japan singapore etc...?

I used to live few places in europe and canada, now 2 years in asia, bit different...

If u ask me now to describe thai guys in 1 word, biring comes to my mind.

And I heard similar opinions from other expats and mostly from females friends working in bkk offices, they call it culture from mars and they want to go back to work in europe, and they stocks brokers, 1 foregin girl per thai office.

Anyone feel similar or its just me?

Peace

Out on the farm, it is hilarious. (Isaan).

Now in Chiang Mai, it is a bit more serious...but the store next door to the wife's cafe is a barrel of fun. Laughing and joking with each other all day long. I thought they were mad at each other, but the wife says...they just get excited and talk loud/joke with each other. You would have to understand the language more, to really catch it all.

In bangkok...it was almost like New york...pretty stoic and busy in the skytrain and mall areas. I am sure they joke at home.

Now in Chiang Mai, it is a bit more serious...but the store next door to the wife's cafe is a barrel of fun. Laughing and joking with each other all day long. I thought they were mad at each other, but the wife says...they just get excited and talk loud/joke with each other. You would have to understand the language more, to really catch it all.

In bangkok...it was almost like New york...pretty stoic and busy in the skytrain and mall areas. I am sure they joke at home.

i ment foreginer - thai

not thai - thai

"I live in Thailand 2 years now and I feel like people here are not very friendly in the sense they not open and keep for themself.

And they not very funny too, like they dont joke, dont prank, dont do stupid jokes no windups..."

actually my experience is the opposite.....I feel like I am surrounded by children.

"In UK I must say i cant complain on english guys, never probs, always funny and at work it was constant windup. Never experienced any racist things or anything like that. And people in UK or EU friendly and open, u can joke with people u just met and that."

On my last jobs in the EU we worked....if we would have joked all the time we would have got kicked out very fast. If I see my Thai staff joking all the day I think they don't have enough work....

"I live in Thailand 2 years now and I feel like people here are not very friendly in the sense they not open and keep for themself.

And they not very funny too, like they dont joke, dont prank, dont do stupid jokes no windups..."

actually my experience is the opposite.....I feel like I am surrounded by children.

I agree - and I like that about the place. Acting like a grown-up is hugely overrated.

Here's one to cheer you up Beefy,

Investing In Art.

The lawyer says to the wealthy art collector tycoon: "I have some good news, and I have some bad news.

The tycoon replies: "Ive had an awful day, let's hear the good news first.

The lawyer says: Your wife invested $5,000 in two pictures today that she figures are worth a minimum of $20 million

The tycoon replies enthusiastically: Well done, very good news indeed! You've just made my day; now whats the bad news?

The lawyer answers : "The pictures are of you and your secretary"

I agree - and I like that about the place. Acting like a grown-up is hugely overrated.

Someone said,

If you haven't grown up by the time you're 50, no need to bother!

i ment foreginer - thai

not thai - thai

oh... ok.

Guess I would have to agree then.

You have to admit though...they are sure fun to laugh at. (funny looking)

One of my Aussie friends thought a Thai was joking when he said "HOK SIP ALL OUT!

I thought it was hilarious....60 all out, tut tut

Septics won't understand that joke....

are you are septic tank cleaner?

I meant a few aussie honey truck operators, thought I might know you.

How much to suck my tank?

Edited by slipperylobster

Do you speak Thai ? Because may be they dont understand you, especially if you have a strong accent, if the OP is anything to go by.

I speak eng pretty clear and well.

My accent is easy to understand.

Its my 2nd lang tho.

But thats not so much a point.

I think ppl in europe are more open.

U know for example in uk at work guys joke, call themself w...r c..n etc. No one takes it serious.

I just cant get it here.

Perhaps its just asian culture that Im not used to. (Or thai)

Are you French? If so that explains everything!

Im polish.

I employ 15 young thais here, and they all like that.

could be that you have the wrong people.....had some sales guys who were always serious....only thinking for their money or operations to be more beautiful (both men and women). Even heard that someone didn't want to laugh because of fear from wrinkles......

Or maybe they are afraid of you?

Do you speak Thai ? Because may be they dont understand you, especially if you have a strong accent, if the OP is anything to go by.

Its my 2nd lang tho.

U know for example in uk at work guys joke, call themself w...r c..n etc. No one takes it serious.

I just cant get it here.

"U know for example in uk at work guys joke, call themself w...r c..n etc. No one takes it serious."

IF they call themself names even for joke in my company they would get some troubles......That is inappropriate and not good for a professional working environment.

You obviously worked with some classy people.

cheesy.gif My wife always warned me not to learn Thai from the taxi driver......

Seems the same thing...don't learn English in some UK offices....

Best way is to get one of those whistles and bang a cymbal when you say something, then they will be in hysterics just like on tv.

You have given them the cue to laugh and told them its funny, seems to work great on tv.

Im polish.

could be that you have the wrong people.....had some sales guys who were always serious....only thinking for their money or operations to be more beautiful (both men and women). Even heard that someone didn't want to laugh because of fear from wrinkles......

No they not affraid.

They got too easy, watching movies and fb at work. Guess what they still can complain how tough it is..

Its my 2nd lang tho.

I just cant get it here.

"U know for example in uk at work guys joke, call themself w...r c..n etc. No one takes it serious."

IF they call themself names even for joke in my company they would get some troubles......That is inappropriate and not good for a professional working environment.

Yeh but that kind of staff going on in private talks not on the front of the bosses. So u wouldn't know.

Im polish.

No they not affraid.

They got too easy, watching movies and fb at work. Guess what they still can complain how tough it is..

I wouldn't allow that....

Its my 2nd lang tho.

I just cant get it here.

Yeh but that kind of staff going on in private talks not on the front of the bosses. So u wouldn't know.

Well yes.....bigger company.....I had my mini company in mind with the boss sitting in the center......

But maybe that is exactly the reason in your company.....15 people you said? You are the boss "not on the front of the bosses".

They may want to show themself as nice people in front of you? And you don't know how they speak when you leave....

Its my 2nd lang tho.

I just cant get it here.

Yeah building sites and fabrication yards along with thousands of other UK workplaces aren't quite so serious and the behaviour the OP describes is 100% spot on,it doesn't make these people any less professional.

I can be offshore in the tea shack with a load of lads cursing swearing and generally having good banter an hour later I could be in a conference call to the beach with a load of big wigs.

Their is a time and a place.

I can't comment on the Thai workplace but I guess they do have a bit of craic as well.

It must be just you....because all my Thai friends like a laugh and joke, the same as farangs

Totally agree- my Thai friends joke about and laugh at the silliest things- easy to wind up. Generally a happy lot- only problems seem to be around family.

Often the humour is a bit childish , but is that a problem .

To the OP , try living in London it's a fabulous frenetic city- talk to someone on the underground they would probably call the police!