Vanguard vs Schwab

For more than 2 weeks Vanguard has blocked account access from non US locations.

I would like to know if current Schwab account holders are satisfied with the customer service of their account?

I have had a Vanguard account for years and transferring the account would be a horrendous mess.

If I do transfer the account, Schwab seems to have the most positive search results here.

I'm most interested in active account holders recent experience with customer experience with Schwab.

Thanks in advance

Join the crowd - My account is with Fidelity and they have been a nightmare since I have been in the kingdom. They absolutely refuse to transfer money from my Fidelity account to my Bangkok Bank account.

I will resolve by closing my account with them when I return to the states for a visit in April. Until then it is 16,500 baht at a time from the ATM.

When I first got a 401K, my employer used Fidelity as the administrator. For the next 35 years, all of my employers used Fidelity.. When I left my last US employer, Fidelity charged me $20 to administer my account, and it explained that, since I no longer work for that employer, I had to pay my own fee. The account balance was substantial, and it still would not budge. I went to me nearest Schwab office, and had all investments transferred: no fees, ever. Fidelity then emailed me, trying to win me back, to no avail. During the next few years, many ex- and current employees complained about Fidelity, and my former employer switched its administrator to Schwab.

Edited by hhgz

An attempt to log on takes you to a new window with a faulty user name/log on message.

Discussion with customer service and IT department get a different response each time:we don't know whats wrong, if something's wrong its not our fault,if something is wrong we don't know when it might be fixed, we don't know anyone who knows anything about anything that might be wrong, etc.

I have tried logging on using zenmate vpn with same failure is direct log on attempt.

For "lefty": How recently have you logged on using "Express vpn?

An attempt to log on takes you to a new window with a faulty user name/log on message.

Discussion with customer service and IT department get a different response each time:we don't know whats wrong, if something's wrong its not our fault,if something is wrong we don't know when it might be fixed, we don't know anyone who knows anything about anything that might be wrong, etc.

I have tried logging on using zenmate vpn with same failure is direct log on attempt.

If you have the same problem when using it VPN, then the problem might not be related to being outside of the US. I'm able to successfully connect to my Vanguard account using StrongVPN but I'm hesitant to try it without the VPN to see if I get an error for fear that Vanguard might figure out that I am overseas.

I closed my account a year ago.So no experience since then. You are using a US city when using the VPN --RIGHT?

Lefty

I use Etrade for most of my banking and brokerage. I have checking, savings, money market, Traditional Brokerage, Traditional IRA and a ROTH IRA accounts. I used to also have their credit card by the ninnies stopped that service for some reason. I haven't done too much substantial overseas but I certainly have logged in, moved funds, bought and sold some things, used my ATM etc. Once you get above $50,000 USD customer support answers the phone right away. Also no service fees on accounts once your total is above $50,000. I don't know what they do if your USA address goes away, or how they handle any other overseas things so you might want to call them and see how they might handle things. I talked to them once about Swift things and we didn't seem to be on the same page so money transfers to foreign (Thai) banks might be a good question for them.

I have only heard good things about Schwab and they will be getting my next 401k to IRA rollover when I leave this contract job. While I like the idea of one stop shopping, I think it is time for me to move some eggs into another basket.

Join the crowd - My account is with Fidelity and they have been a nightmare since I have been in the kingdom. They absolutely refuse to transfer money from my Fidelity account to my Bangkok Bank account.

I will resolve by closing my account with them when I return to the states for a visit in April. Until then it is 16,500 baht at a time from the ATM.

Has never been a problem for me, just input Bangkok Bank's New York Routing number, followed by my account number in my list of "linked" accounts and transfers never take more than 24 hours

If you request a transfer before 4 PM EST it will go out that day, if you make your request during non US business hours your request may be batched at the end of the next business day for processing

And no, I have never had to use a VPN to access either Fidelity, Schwab. or Vanguard

post-10942-0-10877000-1439468962_thumb.p

I use Etrade who allow all online activity and transfers online from anywhere, with an address in Thailand, but have stopped sending out ATM brokerage cards overseas so I now have to wire the funds from them to another bank who do send an ATM card.

Really? Etrade no longer sends out ATM cards overseas? Funny because a few years ago they were pushing me to get one of those token things. I said that is no good if I lose that while overseas. They said, no problem we will mail you a new one. Yeah well.

Thanks

Langsuan, how recently have you accessed your Vanguard account?

Vanguard customer service tells me that all non US log ons have been blocked for the past three weeks.

They can't/won't say when/if that will be changed.

This raises the question:

Has anyone here been able to log on to your Vanguard account successfully in the last three weeks.

If not, what reason/excuse did customer service give you for the inability to log on?

I use Etrade who allow all online activity and transfers online from anywhere, with an address in Thailand, but have stopped sending out ATM brokerage cards overseas so I now have to wire the funds from them to another bank who do send an ATM card.

Really? Etrade no longer sends out ATM cards overseas? Funny because a few years ago they were pushing me to get one of those token things. I said that is no good if I lose that while overseas. They said, no problem we will mail you a new one. Yeah well.

Thanks

To be more precise in my case I was told because I did not use my previous ATM they mailed me in Thailand within a year of the expiry date, they were only allowed to send a new ATM card to a US address, which I don't have. If I had used the card they would have continued mailing the renewal overseas. They gave no information about it upfront so I was unaware and now I cannot get a new card.

I can log in to my Vanguard account using the vpn without a problem. My advice to the OP is: unless Vanguard actually closes out your account, which is a possibility, you should keep the Vanguard account and get a vpn. The reason is that if you close the account, you will never be able to open it again as an expat. It's probably a good idea to open an account with Schwab as well. The important thing to have as many accounts as possible since you never know who will change his policy in the future and lock you out.

Actually, I am encouraged to hear that VG is using ip addresses as the basis for restricting access since we can easily work around that. If they were to compel us to demonstrate US residency with a utility bill or something we would all be SOL. Of course, it may yet come to that point.

How recently have you logged on to your Vanguard account from Thailand?

I have not been able to log on for over 2 weeks.

I have tried both normal and vpn(using zenmate) with no success.

Vanguard customer service says this is a known problem.

I logged in yesterday without a problem. It's possible that once they notice your foreign ip, they lock your actual loginid so that you can't get back in even with a US ip. That's just a conjecture however. That's why I have urged people here in the past to get a vpn before it becomes a problem because by then it may be too late. I suggest you try another vpn. Or better yet connect remotely to a friend's computer in the US and from there login to VG, if you know how to do that.

I'm not sure if this is related but: For a year or two I was unable to log onto the Social Security website (USA) using TOT. I could log on to my Schwab and Vanguard accounts using TOT. If I wanted to log on to Social Security, I used my AIS mobile phone (through my tablet). I could also log on to that site using 3BB (in Udon). Then suddenly, about 9 months ago, I was able to log on to Social Security using TOT.

Back to Vanguard: I just received some brokerage account literature from that company: The only hint at anything "international" is on p. 17, para 9 titled "International Use". It states:

"Because of the global nature of the internet, wireless technology, and means of electronic communications, You agree to comply with all local rules with respect to your accounts and your online conduct, including the laws, rules, codes, and regulations of the country in which you reside and the country from which you access the electronic services"........etc.

As international as the world is today, who would want to travel to a foreign country and not have access to their brokerage account? Even if you didn't want to trade on it from overseas, you should be able to access it.

This whole thing just stink. The darn IRS follows all US citizens around the world no matter if you maintain a residence in the USA or not. FACTA and other stuff could apply. Yet, Social Security makes it challenging for direct deposit in banks outside the USA in some countries. And now private financial institutions, many of which we have used for 10, 20 or more years all of a sudden start making things difficult if not impossible. A US citizen living overseas could not open a new account. Crazy, especially in this modern day and age where many people have the desire and means and ability to retire early or work overseas online, writers, reviewers, investors etc. Stuns me a bit to think of the business the financial agencies could be losing by making things difficult for people. Of course they all will espouse the "patriot act" but those are the company drones that have no understanding at all of what security is

Changing internet server (3BB to True) didn't work.

Changing VPN(Zenmate to UnblockUS) didn't work.

Will try another VPN(PIA?) and attempt to learn how to remotely log on to friends computer in US-any advice would be most welcome!

I will report back any success.

Will try another VPN(PIA?) and attempt to learn how to remotely log on to friends computer in US-any advice would be most welcome!

Have you tried using a different browser and/or a different PC?

You and your friend with a computer in the US should go to www.teamviewer.com. Download the free software there and have him startup it up first. He will then be able to tell you his 9 digit id and shorter password. You then startup up your teamviewer and enter those credentials. Then you will have access to his keyboard. Naturally, it will be slower than your computer at home, but it should allow you to test a login to VG from within the US.

I know it's possible to money-link funds from Schwab through the Bangkok Bank NY to an account in Thailand online. Has anyone done the same thing through Vanguard?

Yes

Vanguard initiated two trial deposits to Bangkok Bank. I received SMS messages in Thailand when the deposits hit Bangkok Bank, including the amount in USD of the deposit. Reported those amounts back to Vanguard and the link was established. Have used this link to transfer money many times without any problem.

By the way, I had no trouble accessing my Vanguard account from Thailand yesterday or the day before. I did not use a VPN.

Edited by skatewash

I know it's possible to money-link funds from Schwab through the Bangkok Bank NY to an account in Thailand online. Has anyone done the same thing through Vanguard?

Yes

Vanguard initiated two trial deposits to Bangkok Bank. I received SMS messages in Thailand when the deposits hit Bangkok Bank, including the amount in USD of the deposit. Reported those amounts back to Vanguard and the link was established. Have used this link to transfer money many times without any problem.

By the way, I had no trouble accessing my Vanguard account from Thailand yesterday or the day before. I did not use a VPN.

I just did the same thing.......two trial deposits. As I was in the US, I had to call Bangkok Bank's Bangkok phone number to confirm the amount of the micro deposits. Assuming Vanguard accepts the amounts I posts (just Friday), I should be all set to go.