Two policemen killed and seven injured in car accident in Pattani

webfact

Two policemen killed and seven injured in car accident in Pattani

PATTANI: -- Two police officers were killed and seven others injured when a van in which they were travelling crashed into an army Humvee jeep parked on the roadside in Kok Pho district of Pattani Tuesday night.

The dead officers were identified as Pol Lt Prasert Krueynok and Pol Snr Sgt-Maj Somdej Pakdokmai.

It was reported that the nine policemen of Kok Pho police station were returning to the station after attending a funeral. As the van was arriving at Wat Rong Wart which was pitched dark, it rammed into the rear of an army Humvee which was parking on the roadside without any lights on.

The impact threw the van off course and plunged into the roadside ditch, causing deaths and injuries to the policemen in the van.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/two-policemen-killed-and-seven-injured-in-car-accident-in-pattani

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-12

What is it with these people driving at high speed in the dark?

The Humvee was apparently on the roadside. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you drive at night with due care and caution on the road and not the roadside?

......after attending a funeral........ Anyone smell booze? burp.gif

........which was pitched dark........ Ever heard of lights/High beam?

The Humvee was apparently on the roadside. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you drive at night with due care and caution on the road and not the roadside?

Driving whilst Thai.

You no unnerstan.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

lights on lo beam and a belly full of p*ss after the funeral, on the side of the road because the driver was probably half asleep from all the grog or wasnt able to tell he was not on the road. This really shows that stupid isnt just a part of ordinary peoples lives, police do it too

From the pictures on the news it wasn't a Humvee or any kind of jeep at all. It was a South African Reva, which is a large amoured personal carrier designed to survive roadside bomb attacks in Iraq. A van is not going to win a crash with that.

From the pictures on the news it wasn't a Humvee or any kind of jeep at all. It was a South African Reva, which is a large amoured personal carrier designed to survive roadside bomb attacks in Iraq. A van is not going to win a crash with that.

Quite correct. Definitely not a Humvee.

post-9891-0-69610400-1439390427_thumb.jppost-9891-0-86732900-1439390504_thumb.jp

I've read enough Thai news reports and seen enough Thai parking to realize he could have easily been parked more than half way into a traffic lane (also look at the picture above). It was more than likely an accident caused by a terrible parking job and horrific driving. Both have the same root causes: no formal driver education system and little to zero law enforcement when it comes to driving.

Edited by FloridaExport

I have been reliably informed by Thai associates, that driving on high beam uses more fuel. It is also apparently why they are reluctant to use first gear.

This would fit in with the apparent view among many m/cyclists and some cars, that driving without lights saves fuel. I heard that some time ago.>

Anyone who has driven here even for a short time becomes aware quite quickly how the locals drive without any awareness of what is going on around them, sadly they simply have no idea how to behave on the road or of the consequences of their actions.

this is really bad not surprising Thailand has the third highest road fatalities in the world this kind of thing should not happen the army vehicle should have had parking lights on and is clearly to blame but by the same token if the police vehicle had its main lights on it should have seen the jeep ? .

One wonders if this is the new opaque reporting.

The other day 8 students died in a road accident in the Deep South.

Tomorrow, we may have a motorcycle spontaneously exploding killing somebody and the following day a pick-up "crashed" into a coffee shop killing 5.

this is really bad not surprising Thailand has the third highest road fatalities in the world this kind of thing should not happen the army vehicle should have had parking lights on and is clearly to blame but by the same token if the police vehicle had its main lights on it should have seen the jeep ? .

Have you heard? Thailand now garners second place in the world traffic fatality statistics.

Only Namibia is higher.

Coming back from a funeral , I smell booze too . OK a big black vehicle parked up but that is no excuse to hit the thing. It could of been a tree there , it could of been a scoot and side car ( lights only when engine running) with a puncture. Trouble is Thais ( even sober ) drive the same in the rain or in the dark ,makes no difference , no concentration and no idea.

The art of driving is to avoid the inanimate objects , and even the animate ones, that jump out in front of you. Why would you assign blame to a vehicle minding its own business on the side of the road (I suspect the word "army" might have something to do with it) rather than what I suspect to be a drunker moron driving far too fast, on an unlit road, using low beam, and in a vehicle about as stable as a bag of manure on a roller skate?