Jakthip selected as next Thai police chief

webfact

NEW TOP COP
Jakthip selected as next police chief

The Nation

30266579-01_big.JPG
Jakthip Chaijinda

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police Board has unanimously voted to appoint Deputy Police Commissioner General Pol Gen Jakthip Chaijinda as the eleventh police commissioner general.

Jakthip will succeed Pol Gen Somyot Poompunmuang who will retire on September 30.

Somyot nominated candidates for the board to consider and all six members chose Jakthip.

The meeting was chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, the ex-officio chairman of the board.

Jakthip is the least senior deputy police commissioner with the most remaining service years. He has six years left before he will reach the mandatory retirement age.

Another strong candidate was Deputy Police Commissioner Pol Gen Aek Angsananon. It is expected that Aek will be transferred to another post with the same ranking as the police commissioner general.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-14

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jaktip named new national policy chief

14-8-2558-12-19-45-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Police Policy Commission chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan finally picked Pol Gen Jaktip Chaichinda as the new national police chief succeeding Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuong who is to retire end of September.

The new police chief still has six years in government service before his retirement at 60.

Pol Gen Jaktip, 56, will become the country’s eleventh national police chief since the change of the establishment from the Police Department to Royal Thai Police.

There were two candidates to the top police post.

Another strong candidate was Pol Gen Aek Angsananont, 59.

Pol Gen Jaktip was earlier dubbed “Teargas Gentleman” when he was then deputy commissioner of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police Bureau and was assigned to handle a yellow shirt protest in front of the Parliament in October 2008.

During a bloody suppression of anti government protesters in front of the parliament, many protesters were injured by tear gas firing, the senior police officer was seen to take off his shirt to help treat an injured protester we which latter earned him the name.

He was later the following year transferred to be a commissioner in the Office of the Royal Thai Police commissioned and worked as a liasoin officer between the Prime Minister’s Office and the Interior Ministry.

In 2010, he was appointed commissioner of Bangkok Metropolitan Police Bureau.

When the Yingluck government came in power, he was transferred to be commissioner of the Ninth Region Provincial Police.

After the military coup in 2014, he was recalled back from the province to act as commissioner of Bangkok police after former commissioner Pol Lt Gen Kamronvit Toopkracharng was transferred to inactive post in the Operation Centre of the Royal Thai Police.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/jaktip-named-new-national-policy-chief

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-14

If I recall right in both Georgia and South Korea they kicked out the complete police force and started from zero.

Replacing one corrupt with the next corrupt won't help. Considering that you only get promoted if you pay your superior everyone beside the lowest ranks is corrupt.

This morning i saw a Thai cop appearing in busy traffic and he ordered a motorcy without helmet to the side of the road. The driver stopped but then pulled away full speed and nothing happened. I followed them and expected another cop further down the road but there was none.

At a stoplight the driver and his passenger had big fun about it.

So if you don't stop for the police nothing will happen. Lesson learned, what a joke they are.

If I recall right in both Georgia and South Korea they kicked out the complete police force and started from zero.

Replacing one corrupt with the next corrupt won't help. Considering that you only get promoted if you pay your superior everyone beside the lowest ranks is corrupt.

But you're in Thailand where EVERYTHING you consider normal is different but same same!!

How do you think the promotions work in your beloved Junta?

This morning i saw a Thai cop appearing in busy traffic and he ordered a motorcy without helmet to the side of the road. The driver stopped but then pulled away full speed and nothing happened. I followed them and expected another cop further down the road but there was none.

So if you don't stop for the police nothing will happen. Lesson learned, what a joke they are.

what should he do? Shoot him?

But you're in Thailand where EVERYTHING you consider normal is different but same same!!

The same was in many other countries and they could fix it. Thailand could fix it as well and a Junta is maybe the only way to fix it......just they don't do it.

In the military this problem exist much less. Because a promotion doesn't bring you that much more income. Nationalparks should as bad as police because they collect the entry fees into their own pockets.

But that doesn't matter.....even if you come from a corrupt environment it doesn't mean you have to accept it if you are in the position to change it. Against corruption and abuse of power was the things that triggered the demonstrations that lead to the coup. If there is no change the Junta will get pressure from this side as well as people start to loose patience.

Being better than Thaksin is nice but not enough....

And you just figured that out? How long have you lived in Thailand? I never pull over for a bribe-seeking BIB standing on the roadside, waving vehicles over to extort a bribe. When you see them, they're not on authorized duty, unless it's a real checkpoint with a superior officer onsite.

It is expected that Aek will be transferred to another post with the same ranking as the police commissioner general.

It is amazing what is done for "face" here. How can you have another position of the same rank as National Police Chief? But whatever the new title, all his friends will pat him on the head and congratulate him for rising to the equal top of the police force.

6 years left unreal what Thailand needs is young blood and with that you get true enforcement not some old twit sitting back and contemplating retirement benefit.

the same old from the same group......nothing will change.....

"...Another strong candidate was Deputy Police Commissioner Pol Gen Aek Angsananon..."

Must not have been all that much of a strong candidate since he didn't get one vote. Makes one wonder if there was really only one vote that counted.

dont thoink so simple,

maybee the officer have noticed his registration plate,

maybee the officer will check back in the office the traffic camera -

and maybee his registration plate are encountable,

beleave his problems will be much bigger than the funhe had temporarely !!

If you think this is fun, copy it, drive by red, and you will feel it !!

Thai mathematics in brilliance !

He is 56, will retire with 60;

so he have still to serve 6 years !!

which counting system - mathematics Thais are using ??

( maybee a officers year is counted only as 9 months ?

No - cant be - as if you count efficiency and work - only 1 ((w-e-e-k-)) month - a year would be counted )

The same was in many other countries and they could fix it. Thailand could fix it as well and a Junta is maybe the only way to fix it......just they don't do it.

In the military this problem exist much less. Because a promotion doesn't bring you that much more income. Nationalparks should as bad as police because they collect the entry fees into their own pockets.

But that doesn't matter.....even if you come from a corrupt environment it doesn't mean you have to accept it if you are in the position to change it. Against corruption and abuse of power was the things that triggered the demonstrations that lead to the coup. If there is no change the Junta will get pressure from this side as well as people start to loose patience.

Being better than Thaksin is nice but not enough....

Maybe we just need to change the junta first and then real reforms can take place. As they already said that they/ the existing junta will not reform the police.

According to Isranews his net worth is 962 million baht.

http://www.isranews.org/investigative/investigate-asset/item/40589-juktippp_333.html (but its in Thai).

What a shocker! But then again, higher ranking police officers and military personnel sure are well off in LOS. Maybe it's a prerequisite to obtain flag rank that you and/or your family is worth x hundred million Baht??

Or.....

Anyway, I'm glad the current leaders have been open and frank about their amassed wealth...coffee1.gif

And you just figured that out? How long have you lived in Thailand? I never pull over for a bribe-seeking BIB standing on the roadside, waving vehicles over to extort a bribe. When you see them, they're not on authorized duty, unless it's a real checkpoint with a superior officer onsite.

14 years here sir.

Well call me stupid if you like but i stop for police. One day i saw them from a distance and looked the other way when he pointed at me and nothing happened.

I would expect them to have another copper waiting a few hundred metres down the road and if that one had to stop you the fine could be tenfolded. Ignoring a policeman's order is a serious crime where i came from.

When i was a teenager on a motorbike the coppers would just kick you of the bike if you didn't stop. I still escaped a few times though because my bike was tuned.

I see the checkpoints every day, always on the same spots. Also that doesn't impress the Thai because i still see loads of them without helmets.

Thai police also uses camerasystems now, i got a fine of 1000 baht sent home with picture allready but if you don't pay them nothing will happen. wai2.gif

Why the Police don't use their big motobikes for patrolling and fine anybody who won't obey the rules? Also they don't dare to stop the expensive cars.

Traffic would be much safer if the police just did their job and they could make a fortune by just maintaining the law.

According to Isranews his net worth is 962 million baht.

http://www.isranews.org/investigative/investigate-asset/item/40589-juktippp_333.html (but its in Thai).

What a shocker! But then again, higher ranking police officers and military personnel sure are well off in LOS. Maybe it's a prerequisite to obtain flag rank that you and/or your family is worth x hundred million Baht??

Or.....

Anyway, I'm glad the current leaders have been open and frank about their amassed wealth...coffee1.gif

I don't think many Chief Constables, Deputies and Assistant Chief Constables in the UK are worth just under GBP 20 million! A good career, with pension etc - but not that sort of wealth.

But of course he may have inherited, married well or just be another stock market wizard. whistling.gif

The guys worth 900million and no-one questions how he got to be that wealthy at 56!

Maybe to get the top position, one needs to have shown great expedience at making money......and it doesn't matter how that wealth was gained!