Night clubs, a question

Bezpoleznyak

"This night", as you put it, ie last night Saturday as I type this on Sunday morning, Zoe, Spicy, Lucky Bar, Hotshots and Bubbles all closed. "The authorities" have won! Having a good time as a tourist/ foreigner/ expat is now officially off the agenda for Chiang Mai.

Why I dont know, because the likes of Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya are still bubbling away seemingly as normal until the early hours. Therefore the question I ask, again, is why has Chiang Mai been singled out? Is there a background story I m not getting?

Having a good time as a tourist/ foreigner/ expat is now officially off the agenda for Chiang Mai.

Yes, with the sleeze bars closing almost everybody is leaving. There are thousands of people at the airport trying to get tickets out. Traffic is backed up to Airport Plaza. Immigration is calling in extra staff to stamp people out.

There are only 25-30 people who will stay because they do not give a damn about sleeze bars or are content not "having a good time".

Having a good time as a tourist/ foreigner/ expat is now officially off the agenda for Chiang Mai.

Yes, with the sleeze bars closing almost everybody is leaving. There are thousands of people at the airport trying to get tickets out. Traffic is backed up to Airport Plaza. Immigration is calling in extra staff to stamp people out.

There are only 25-30 people who will stay because they do not give a damn about sleeze bars or are content not "having a good time".

Dante. You sound like a Puritan. Were you one of the original Pilgrim Fathers?! As I said in a different thread "having a good time" does not necessarily ( and in my case definitely not! ) mean hanging out in sleazy bars !! It means that in this modern multi cultural consumer oriented world we all live in we should all be entitled within reason to live our lives liberally, not be forced to live back in the dark ages !!

I fully understand the need for some people to have a bar in order to enjoy life that is OK with me. What gets me is they seem to think the rest of the world is like them. Maybe if they would stay out of them for a while they might notice there is more to Chiang Mai than bar's and women.thumbsup.gif

Dante. You sound like a Puritan. Were you one of the original Pilgrim Fathers?! As I said in a different thread "having a good time" does not necessarily ( and in my case definitely not! ) mean hanging out in sleazy bars !! It means that in this modern multi cultural consumer oriented world we all live in we should all be entitled within reason to live our lives liberally, not be forced to live back in the dark ages !!

No bars in the dark ages?

Edited by Bill97

I fully understand the need for some people to have a bar in order to enjoy life that is OK with me. What gets me is they seem to think the rest of the world is like them. Maybe if they would stay out of them for a while they might notice there is more to Chiang Mai than bar's and women.thumbsup.gif

Why bars? The bars don't get closed, the clubs do.

Maybe the today's "Bike for Mom" ride, along with lingering fallout from the drunk student killing the bicyclists a few months ago, motivated temporary closure of the best known after hours places (you can include Infinity on Nimmanhamin soi 6 to the list). Or maybe this is something more permanent. We should have a better idea in a few days.

Yes, this poor sot must have been headed out to the airport to get out of Chiang Mai because he couldn't find a bar open at 1:30 am. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/848784-hang-dong-foreigner-in-accident-in-wee-hours/

Oh yes I am a Pruitan Pilgrim Father, everybody knows that, where have you been?

My apologies for not integrating your comments from all the other threads. What the ....!

"we should all be entitled within reason" now that is delusional

Yes, this poor sot must have been headed out to the airport to get out of Chiang Mai because he couldn't find a bar open at 1:30 am. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/848784-hang-dong-foreigner-in-accident-in-wee-hours/

but, but, sob, sob, ..... the airport was closed too boo hooooooooo

...could this just maybe be something that the places listed as closed above, just have a open and known reputation for staying open sometimes way past curfew..... could this have something to to with it????? huh??? huh??? Hasn't there been quite a few posts on this forum about their long after hours and their big shot connections???? Maybe I am mistaken then.

Yep, plenty of ladyboys standing at the roadside, no need for a bar or women.

"This night", as you put it, ie last night Saturday as I type this on Sunday morning, Zoe, Spicy, Lucky Bar, Hotshots and Bubbles all closed. "The authorities" have won! Having a good time as a tourist/ foreigner/ expat is now officially off the agenda for Chiang Mai.

Why I dont know, because the likes of Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya are still bubbling away seemingly as normal until the early hours. Therefore the question I ask, again, is why has Chiang Mai been singled out? Is there a background story I m not getting?

I heard that they mailed you the background story....... but you know how the mail is these days...... check with your postman, Pat.. Paybacks are hell.....tongue.pngtongue.png

Well done General, running the country into the ground seems to be your forte, but it won't affect you will it?

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Trends/Asia-s-star-holiday-industry-loses-its-shine

After reading that article it's tempting to say that now is a good time to buy a business in Phuket or Samui. However I think it's smarter to apply the "Vegas Rules" to investment in Thailand--don't bring in more than you can afford to lose.

I heard that they mailed you the background story....... but you know how the mail is these days...... check with your postman, Pat.. Paybacks are hell.....tongue.pngtongue.png

You dont know how right you might be, Gonzo, yesterday while I was out they tried to deliver an EMS mail, no idea what it is.....maybe thats it.....or maybe its the letter I ve been waiting for for three weeks from the British Embassy which they say on the website will be delivered in a guaranteed seven days !!!!!! Dont get me started on that subject !!!!!!

Well done General, running the country into the ground seems to be your forte, but it won't affect you will it?http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Trends/Asia-s-star-holiday-industry-loses-its-shine

That's an interesting article, thanks for posting it. Below are my observations on the decline in tourism. My analysis might be off, and I would be interested in others' views.

I think the causes of Thailand's tourism problems run a bit deeper than whatever the current government has done.

For decades, Thailand enjoyed the first-mover advantage for tourism in SE Asia. Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, and Burma were simply off limits. With a near-monopoly, Thai tourism grew steadily and remarkably in this vacuum. But this success was as much a product of market distortion (no competitors) as of Thailand's natural advantages. Big fish in a small, artificial pond.

Thailand regarded the negative effects of unchecked development, environmental degradation, corruption, no planning--you guys know the list--as mere growing pains, to eventually be treated with the new wealth flowing in. For the most part, those bills were never paid, the monopoly ended, and suddenly the ruined beaches and unending scams and ripoffs showed themselves to be not temporary wrinkles but major deformities. Most were never addressed adequately, and places like Phuket and Samui and Samet and Phi Phi lost their lustre. And all of this unfolding in the internet age, when secrets don't last long.

Even when the other countries began to open up in the mid-Nineties, they naturally needed several more years to build infrastructure and brand. Today, however, they are all vying for the same tourist dollar. The monopoly is broken, and the new competitors have novelty and exoticism on their side.

Making matters worse, the tourism economy created mostly unskilled or very low skilled jobs: drivers, cooks (not chefs), gardeners, masseusses, hawkers, sex workers. There is very little advancement in any of these careers. Failing to invest in its people, Thailand lost its manufacturing position to regional competitors, so there aren't many factory jobs awaiting those squeezed by the drop in tourism.

There are a couple of bright spots. Chiang Mai has done pretty well. The main things that could have bee completely ruined are the hills near town, the Ping, and the old city. The hills are well protected from most development (ever seen Bandung?). The Ping may not be super clean, but it's not chockablock with condos and factories either. And the old city retains an awful lot of charm and style compared to any other town in the whole country.

Another surprising bright spot is Bangkok. Before the highways and skytrain, the place was a nightmare to navigate. Today, travel, shopping, and nightlife are better than ever, in my opinion, despite the earlier closings.

To me, anyway, this is the context in which to consider the current state of Chiang Mai's nightlife. It might explain why there's so much confusion in policy and practice.

I thought he sounded like a wit, and a good one at that biggrin.png

Well done General, running the country into the ground seems to be your forte, but it won't affect you will it?http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Trends/Asia-s-star-holiday-industry-loses-its-shine

That's an interesting article, thanks for posting it. Below are my observations on the decline in tourism. My analysis might be off, and I would be interested in others' views.

I think the causes of Thailand's tourism problems run a bit deeper than whatever the current government has done.

For decades, Thailand enjoyed the first-mover advantage for tourism in SE Asia. Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, and Burma were simply off limits. With a near-monopoly, Thai tourism grew steadily and remarkably in this vacuum. But this success was as much a product of market distortion (no competitors) as of Thailand's natural advantages. Big fish in a small, artificial pond.

Thailand regarded the negative effects of unchecked development, environmental degradation, corruption, no planning--you guys know the list--as mere growing pains, to eventually be treated with the new wealth flowing in. For the most part, those bills were never paid, the monopoly ended, and suddenly the ruined beaches and unending scams and ripoffs showed themselves to be not temporary wrinkles but major deformities. Most were never addressed adequately, and places like Phuket and Samui and Samet and Phi Phi lost their lustre. And all of this unfolding in the internet age, when secrets don't last long.

Even when the other countries began to open up in the mid-Nineties, they naturally needed several more years to build infrastructure and brand. Today, however, they are all vying for the same tourist dollar. The monopoly is broken, and the new competitors have novelty and exoticism on their side.

Making matters worse, the tourism economy created mostly unskilled or very low skilled jobs: drivers, cooks (not chefs), gardeners, masseusses, hawkers, sex workers. There is very little advancement in any of these careers. Failing to invest in its people, Thailand lost its manufacturing position to regional competitors, so there aren't many factory jobs awaiting those squeezed by the drop in tourism.

There are a couple of bright spots. Chiang Mai has done pretty well. The main things that could have bee completely ruined are the hills near town, the Ping, and the old city. The hills are well protected from most development (ever seen Bandung?). The Ping may not be super clean, but it's not chockablock with condos and factories either. And the old city retains an awful lot of charm and style compared to any other town in the whole country.

Another surprising bright spot is Bangkok. Before the highways and skytrain, the place was a nightmare to navigate. Today, travel, shopping, and nightlife are better than ever, in my opinion, despite the earlier closings.

To me, anyway, this is the context in which to consider the current state of Chiang Mai's nightlife. It might explain why there's so much confusion in policy and practice.

Well considered and well stated.

It will be very interesting to see how the upcoming "high season" shapes up for those whose bread is buttered by tourist baht.

Very interesting article, thought provoking, accurate I think and Thailand should be greatly concerned. Anecdotes from the past seven days from two good friends. One was in Siem Reap, reports a very open and welcoming attitude, bars and restaurants both sophisticated, cheaper than Thailand, and open as late as you need them to be without any hassle at all. A particular favourite wine of mine, Mouton Cadet, now around 1000 baht here, on sale in shops there for 320 baht equivalent.

The other friend paid a visit to Vietnam. Vietnam has gone to a "no visa needed at all" policy to attract more tourists, no paperwork of any sort, just a warm welcome and a free stamp in your passport on arrival.

Some people always said that Thailand has had its metephorical head up its own rear for a long time, perhaps that time has come to pass, sad to say !!!

On the contrary - Thailand is moving from the abused wild west of yesteryear into a more modern financial phase. The country is getting richer - and I bet old timers of a mere thirty years in the country are staggered at the advances in personal wealth of Thais and infrastructure.

When the average foreigner stepped into the country in 1985 there wouldn't be many Thais richer than them. Now plenty of foreigners rail about how much money is floating about, and how steeped in western consumerism Thailand is.

They rail about it, as the advancement of Thailand is pricing them out of the market.

Singapore/Malaysia are the leaders in the modernization of Asia outwith the Chinese sphere, although I doubt any Chinese city is as functional as Sing. You are witnessing the rapid movement from a servile, de facto, third world economy to first world.

In financial terms, any of us alive in 2050 will see Thailand as Malaysia is now - and Cams/Burma as Thailand is today - at least.