Cheap Bangkok guesthouses outside the center?

youbuyshirt

Does anyone know of a cheap Bkk guesthouse that’s cheaper and less likely to be booked up because it is far from the center of tourist activity? Is there an area outside the center where I might find lots of such guesthouses?

If it is on a bus line that will take me into the center, that would be perfect.

My dream is to find a place that has a fan, not A/C, private bathroom with western toilet, wifi, a table for computer and a chair, and no hordes of stupid Khao San trendies competing for a room and driving up prices.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Impossible to find I think. In areas where there are no tourists there are no guesthouses. Tourists want to be in areas with other tourists, English-speaking Thai's, western food, and nowadays, BTS skytrain and MRT subway. If you are planning to pay by the month, get an apartment; if you are planning to pay by the day or week you are a tourist yourself, regardless of your self-perception.

Impossible to find I think. In areas where there are no tourists there are no guesthouses. Tourists want to be in areas with other tourists, English-speaking Thai's, western food, and nowadays, BTS skytrain and MRT subway. If you are planning to pay by the month, get an apartment; if you are planning to pay by the day or week you are a tourist yourself, regardless of your self-perception.

load of b/s.

try rambutree or banglamphu theres less hipsters and coolkids and cheaper rooms.

Reminds me of those who ask about a quiet place that's not full of tourists and backpackers, and then ask what one can do or see there. The answer, of course, is there's nothing to do or see there, which is why the place isn't full of tourists and backpackers.

Haha, you think the price of rooms is expensive in Khao San? For what you want, fan, etc you're looking at 300 bucks

Banglumpoo is hardly 'away from tourists' seeing it's pretty much the doorstep of Khao San, ditto Rambuttri which runs nearby and is mega busy and not away from anything

I assume he meant away from Khao San when he said away from it all and the tourists so the next street over and around the corner is unlikely to be the answer. Jeez, if he can't walk around the corner to find a room on his own there's no help!

Samsen is still in the area, walking distance but quieter but even around there they're getting their own backpacker type 'restaurants' and small bars

You can try Soi Kasemson near MBK, always had a fair few places around there or Soi Ngam Dupli not far from Lumpini/Sathorn

Problem is, those places are likely to be more expensive than Khao San, Khao San has loads of rooms and therefore more competitive and chance of cheaper place. Also, not sure about fan room in those kind of places.

Other place to check is along the river. Check on Agoda and filter by riverside but again, not sure they'll be cheaper than Khao San

Also, you want wifi, computer table and all that, which is quite 'modern' but then you want a fan. If they're putting rooms together with those nicer, modern things then they're more likely to have air con too to go along with the conveniences and comfort of the nice stuff in the room

• 2 weeks later...

I also agree with the upper comments it's very hard to find the place that match to your requirement because if you want to stay somewhere that non tourist then you might face to communication's problem. If you decided to stay longer you might rent an apartment. or you might try to search for rental's detail first. it might be a better idea.