Thailand for 4 or 5 months

We are retired and want to set up a base in CM for 4/5 months a year. Any suggestions on what type of visa would be best for us. Also, I had thought that if we took out a 12 month agreement on a rental house/apt. we could sub-lease it for the time we are away (May - Oct) Any thoughts on that. We will be arriving toward the end of Oct/ beginning Nov

Have you decided what part of CM best suits your needs? We had several seasonal friends in the past that developed relationships with apartment managers and would return to the same place year after year, but not necessarily the same room with no annual contract.

either a multi entry non 'o' visa giving you 90 days on entry, and then a border run to get another 90 days

or a double entry tourist visa, giving you 60 days, then a 30 day local immigration office extension 1,900 baht, followed by a border run for another 60 day entry stamp which could also be extended by 30 days if required.

edit - 90 day entries can not be extended for 30 days.

Edited by steve187

Re: T-Dog......Haven't decided any area yet but should be near town as we won't have transport, well maybe rent a scooter or close to a songthaew route. I would be interested in knowing more about the "seasonal friends situation" We would be looking at 1 or 2 bedroom, no studios, kitchen with a few western additions and a balcony big enough to sit out to have a morning coffee. Washing machine (for her who must be obeyed) would be nice too

Re:Steve 187......The 90 day multi then border run sounds good. Do I go to consulate here to apply for initial 90 day visa before travelling ? I live in Vancouver.

Re: T-Dog......Haven't decided any area yet but should be near town as we won't have transport, well maybe rent a scooter or close to a songthaew route. I would be interested in knowing more about the "seasonal friends situation" We would be looking at 1 or 2 bedroom, no studios, kitchen with a few western additions and a balcony big enough to sit out to have a morning coffee. Washing machine (for her who must be obeyed) would be nice too

Re:Steve 187......The 90 day multi then border run sounds good. Do I go to consulate here to apply for initial 90 day visa before travelling ? I live in Vancouver.

Sent you a PM . . .

Will you both require visas?

If you want to avoid the hassles of dealing with immigration/border runs etc you could get a non Imm o-a each year. That would only require you to perform the 90 day check in and you would not be beholden to local immigration officials.

I'm on a retirement visa so can't help you with visa infer for your situation but I can provide you with contact information for the Thai visa agent who helps me every year. She is great and works independently. Just PM me if you would like her contact info.

I suggest that you do not stay past February. Air quality here is typically really bad starting in March (sometimes in February) and I and some others simply get out of town until at least May.

As for a place to live, I would suggest the Nimmanheimen area or Chiang Mai University area south of Suthep Road. Easy to get into city center on a rented motorbike (recommend KPD)...or in a tuk tuk or songthaew (from Nimmanheimen). Plenty of nice apartments in these areas that should be able to provide you a short-term lease. And plenty of good places to eat and cafes in these areas...and several quality hospitals nearby should the need arise.

Edited by morpho

either a multi entry non 'o' visa giving you 90 days on entry, and then a border run to get another 90 days

or a double entry tourist visa, giving you 60 days, then a 30 day local immigration office extension 1,900 baht, followed by a border run for another 60 day entry stamp which could also be extended by 30 days if required.

edit - 90 day entries can not be extended for 30 days.

Unless they intended to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, there would seem little point in trying to get a non-imm O and some embassies would probably want them to get an O-A if the basis for the application was retirement.

A 2 entry tourist visa would be far less of a hassle to get and adequately cover a stay of 4 or 5 months a year with one border crossing.

• Like 1

Can't comment on the area to live in, but with a year after year agreement with the landlord, it would be cheaper ion the long run to just buy the Motorscooter, cheap enough in Thailand, and the landlord would toe if=t for you while you are gone.