Security at Suvarnabhumi airport tightened up

webfact

Security at Suvarnabhumi airport tightened up

8-18-2015-10-52-28-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Security at Suvarnabhumi international airport has been upgraded to level three in the aftermath of two bomb blasts in Bangkok on Monday night and Tuesday.

Informed security sources said that army troops and officials from the Explosives Ordnance Disposal (EOD) accompanied by a sniffer dog (K9) would conduct patrol at the in-bound and out-bound passenger terminals every three hours for 24 hours to look for suspicious luggages and hand-carried baggages and to make inspections with the help of the dog.

Outside the airport, police have set up three road checkpoints on Suvarnabhumi II road leading to the passenger terminals, in front of the ground service office of Thai Airways International Company and opposite the post office.

On the Kingkaew-Bang Phli road, police will make random checks of suspicious cars although no checkpoints are set up due to heavy traffic on the road.

The security step-up was meant to ensure greater safety for the passengers and also meant to prevent the suspected perpetrators of the two bombing incidents to escape out of the country, said the sources.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/security-at-suvarnabhumi-airport-tightened-up

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-19

Was there last night, ZERO additional security like mentioned in the article, i went early for check in expecting additional check points etc and ended up sitting about for hours coz it was normal.

Only difference i noticed was not so many vehicles hanging about to drop off passengers.

I dont understand why authorities increase security and have lots of checkpoints AFTER the event. Nobody is going to do a repeat

in the following few days. This would be the safest period. I remember years ago that I was flying to Phuket 2 days after the plane crash and friends said "Arent you going to cancel your flight ?" Why? There has never been 2 crashes in 3 days. Surely this must be the safest time to fly. The logic of numbers and chance.