Recent Passport Renewal in Australia

I'm due to renew my Passport on my next trip home and have filled in/printed an online application.

A few questions:-

They say there is a lead time of "up to" 3 weeks, what is the actual time from application logment at the post office to actually receiving the passport?

Can I get them to send the new Passport to a PO Box? They appear to insist it be sent to a residential address! There is no postal service to this address as it's in a rural enviroment.

Thank you.

I know if you pay extra, they will get the application for passport completed quicker.

That's right. Priority processing gets it done in two working days:

https://www.passports.gov.au/web/priorityprocfee.aspx

And costs and extra AUD 111

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Queries/Fees.aspx

You can pick up your passport from the passport office, or the post office, if you have no fixed address. They will send a card to your PO Box, then you go to the post office, show your ID and pick up your passport.

Thanks guys, I knew about the "priority service" but just wanted some 1st hand knowledge on the real time delivery using the normal application process.

I have found an email address and asked the question re delivery to a PO Box. Still awaiting a reply.

Had a very informative reply from a rep at the APIS, thank you to them.

Completed Passports are normally sent to the Passport holder's residential address.

If you live outside of an Australia Post delivery area, it is possible to request your Passport be sent to your PO Box address.

In addition to providing the required original supporting documentation, you should submit a General Declaration by Passport Applicant (Form B-11) explaining that you live in an area where Australia Post mail delivery is not available.

The B11 form is available at most Australia Post outlets or can be prepared and downloaded from the passports website, www.passports.gov.au

Please also advise the interviewer at Australia Post to make an additional comment within your application that you live in an area where Australia Post mail delivery is not available.

OP you refer to your "next trip back home" If you live in bkk why not use the AU consulate. I realized some time ago that on a trip to Vietnam I did not have the required 6 month validity. Was a rush so paid the $110. Fact is wasn't necessary only took few days anyway. Did not need express service.

I live in bkk and just took the MRT to au consulate and again to collect new passport. Easy peasy

Edited by jacksam

Yes I know renewing at the Aust Embassy in BKK is an option BUT for my own (maybe insecure) reasons I'd rather the passport be issued in my own country. Apart from Abbots July 1st, $100 surcharge for out of country applications?? how the f#&k can they justify that when paying local employees (at any embassy) crap wages.

32 pages, how the f#&k does he justify near on double the charges for additional pages. Probably uses the same rational as he is using in his footy tipping and running 2nd last to the "Village Idiot" in the Age Newspaper compertition!

Yes I know renewing at the Aust Embassy in BKK is an option BUT for my own (maybe insecure) reasons I'd rather the passport be issued in my own country. Apart from Abbots July 1st, $100 surcharge for out of country applications?? how the f#&k can they justify that when paying local employees (at any embassy) crap wages.

32 pages, how the f#&k does he justify near on double the charges for additional pages. Probably uses the same rational as he is using in his footy tipping and running 2nd last to the "Village Idiot" in the Age Newspaper compertition!

I seriously doubt passports are printed at the embassy.

It is done in Australia and mailed via couriers or diplomatic post.

$ 100 surcharge is about 1/10 of flight back home alonethumbsup.gif

Australian passports are now only produced in three places. Canberra, London or Washington.

Asia is on the Canberra catchment so the passport you get from BKK will be issued in Australia anyway.