Bangkok attack is deepening THE DIVIDE in Thai society

webfact

ANALYSIS
Bangkok attack is deepening THE DIVIDE in Thai society

TITIPOL PHAKDEEWANICH
SPECIAL TO THE NATION

HOPES OF RECONCILIATION AFTER MORE THAN A |DECADE OF POLITICAL CONFLICT ARE WANING FAST

BANGKOK: -- Four days on, Thailand is still reeling from the carnage caused by a bomb that ripped through central Bangkok's iconic Erawan Shrine during Monday rush-hour.

Amid the constant flow of reports - not all of them reliable - it may be premature to make claims about who was behind the attack. But it is not unreasonable to surmise that this was a terrorist act. As such, it will likely have unforeseen ramifications for Thailand well into the future.

The blast took the lives of at least 20 people, but its after-effects may now be felt by all Thais as they endure life amid a seemingly irreconcilable societal divide. Thailand is a country already on the brink, and any additional stress could catalyse a descent into further disintegration and, ultimately, chaos.

Returning to Bangkok on Monday from a trip abroad, I followed a path to the shrine beaten by countless others, Thais and foreigners alike. Less than an hour before the blast hit, the street was full of unsuspecting Thais and foreign tourists busily going about their day at the Ratchaprasong intersection.

Things were calm, with a business-as-usual feel despite the current state of Thailand's fraught political scene. A steady stream of people were arriving to pray at Bangkok's most famous Hindu shrine. None could have suspected what was about to occur.

But beyond the immediate and terrible impact of multiple deaths and injuries, this tragedy reveals much about Thailand. The public blame-game now being played out on social-media sites such as Facebook says a lot more about what lies beneath the Thai illusion of superficial calm, safety and notional reconciliation.

After more than a decade of "colour-coded" political conflict, the coup of 2014 brought renewed hope for some citizens that schism-riven Thailand could now somehow be reunited. Yet at this time of national tragedy, the gap between those in the colour spectrum has grown rather than narrowed, mainly because of a dearth of much-needed critical thinking. The political divide has fuelled an escalating mentality of self-righteousness and impetuosity within Thai society, as citizens fall prey to a reflexive belief in the rumours that routinely condemn the "other side", while ignoring more challenging facts or uncomfortable realities.

It is well understood by those who live in sharply divided societies - and especially by those that are repeatedly and continuously subjected to terrorism - that the consequences reach far beyond isolated incidents and their victims. Moreover, this fact is all-too-well understood by terrorists and reflected in their calculations.

Already, much of the response to Monday's attack has moved to concern about the likely impact on Thailand's tourist industry. Tourism has become an increasingly important source of revenue amid an economic downturn in the months following the sudden and arbitrary "suspension" of the Thai democratic experiment. As such, the attack on the shrine, a tourist landmark, suggests a sophisticated approach aimed at further damaging the Thai economy.

Recognition of a confluence of critical factors may well indicate -not only to the various potential Thai dissident groups that may be increasingly prepared to act violently, but also to all those who are disaffected with the current social-political impasse, and, of course, to the Thai authorities - that the already-high stakes are only likely to get higher.

An immediate key concern for Thai tourism is that the influx of Chinese visitors that authorities had been banking on will dissipate dramatically. The shrine was popular with foreign visitors generally, and ethnic Chinese in particular - a fact tragically reflected in the list of casualties from Monday's attack.

All of this was likely well understood by those who perpetrated the bombing.

Before any serious attempts were made to identify the perpetrators, the Thai authorities were quick to claim that the attack was connected to the socio-political schism and turmoil. Most Thais would understand such statements as alluding to the involvement of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra and his alleged proxies. A determination to insinuate such connections to the political schism now permeates thinking in Thai society, as both sides of the divide bid to legitimise their position and its pre-established conclusions. It is dismaying to witness such a disregard for more measured responses that rest on determinable facts, due process and genuine justice.

But the framing of events according to the prevailing social-political narratives has become the norm for most Thais these days. That norm holds whether they are well-rehearsed spokespersons of Thai authoritarian officialdom, opportunistic media pundits seeking an audience, or the millions of ordinary citizens who continue to react reflexively as they find themselves caught up in the tumult.

This is no way to honour the memories of those who lost their lives at the Erawan Shrine this week. Neither does it address Thailand's all too apparent collective failings.

DR TITIPOL PHAKDEEWANICH is a visiting fellow at the Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation at the UK's University of Warwick. He is based at Ubon Ratchathani University.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Bangkok-attack-is-deepening-THE-DIVIDE-in-Thai-soc-30267105.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-21

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your report can be summed up in the third line.....................coffee1.gif

"Amid the constant flow of reports - not all of them reliable - it may be premature to make claims about who was behind the attack."---OP

And then we go on to do just that for the next 798 words.........

It says something is very bad in a society if a national tragedy like this, doesn't unite the country against the perpetrators.

On one hand are the denies saying 'No Thai person could ever do this', on the other, people blaming the various factions they stand against.

All of which shows that the country was in a dark downward spiral and the military are required to stop everyone from crossing over the line.

We can speculate all we want about who did it and why.

But I think that the majority of us can agree that this was a cowardly, sensless and pointless act, setting off a bomb at a shrine, during a peak period of patronage.

The horror of it and the hell that the survivors and their families will have to go through is unbeliveable and for what? " THE DIVIDE in Thai Society" Surely not, has Thai society collapsed so far, I don't think so!

And the fact that the main suspect dosen't appear to be a Thai would also prove otherwise.

I think that the media needs to grow up and not start playing plolitical games with the people, with stories like this until all of the facts are at hand.

It says something is very bad in a society if a national tragedy like this, doesn't unite the country against the perpetrators.

On one hand are the denies saying 'No Thai person could ever do this', on the other, people blaming the various factions they stand against.

All of which shows that the country was in a dark downward spiral and the military are required to stop everyone from crossing over the line.

it might if they only knew who the perpetrators are

But beyond the immediate and terrible impact of multiple deaths and injuries, this tragedy reveals much about Thailand. The public blame-game now being played out on social-media sites such as Facebook says a lot more about what lies beneath the Thai illusion of superficial calm, safety and notional reconciliation.

The only ones to play the blame game are the politicians and the police force

it might if they only knew who the perpetrators are

I think they know who and for what , if I'm right , it will be impossible for the Royal Thai Police to catch the principals .

This phrase "No person Thai could ever do this" had indirectly fuel to the fire.

I let you trying to understand why PM of Thailand is afraid about his life ;

I personally thought the article said a lot of truths. It certainly has been a colour coded political spectacle for the last 10 or even more years. Whilst some people did have hope with the May 2014 take over, Those who are wise, know it was still a colour coded political drive. The current government are constantly churning out, how they have brought happiness to the people but I really don't see that. The author in my opinion rightly mentions that there is still a divide in the country and this bomb should unite the people not divide them but when one side blames the other, even before the poor dead people in this attack are identified, what do you expect?

I am not linked or favour any politically side as I am in the opinion that all, whether the Red Shirts, Yellow Shirts, Pheu Thai, Democrats, etc are all a bunch of hopeless self-interests garbage. Neither do i support the army who has too many dinosaurs that are not attuned to modern day ways....but I really hate that recounciliation cannot be achieved as its not fair to always blame the red shirts for everything...so far since the bombings, many groups...including many TV members are implying that the red shirts are behind it....what about the PRDC Yellow shorts then> Funny that someone comes out from the temple and then so many problems start? Common....stop accussing anyone till the facts are properly gathered. There can be a ton of possibilities....a US /CIA linked conspiracy, The Israelis conspiracy, the various muslims groups, etc etc or even just some stupid farang or luk kreung youth with a messed up brain.......just stop being so biase.

THis is a time for all to unite and catch the culprits before more such things happen in Bangkok or Thailand. we, our loved ones and people we know are still at risk till these culprits are caught. In the meanwhile, tel all your friedns, relations to boycott thailand till its safe.

I don't understand this phantasm of an united Thailand.

As if once Thailand would be reunited, every thing would be OK again.

Regardless of whom is in charge, and despite a 3.6% growth in 2015, Thai people will never get proper police services, schools, public hospitals, etc despite.

Whichever of the two sides is running the country, Thai people don't get what they worked for.

"After more than a decade of "colour-coded" political conflict, the coup of 2014 brought renewed hope for some citizens...."

Obviously written by a yellow-belly.

Talking about colour coding instead of political reality in political terminology. Political conflict has nothing to do with colours and everything to do with Democracy or otherwise. Besides, political diversity is not political conflict.

The emphasis on above should be on "Some citizens".

Speaking about coups bringing about renewed hope most certainly only applies to "some citizens'...For them this is absolutely true. It was their only hope to overcome other political realities that did not favor them, such as elections.

Edited by Blackfalds

I think the author has just arrived in Thailand.

Because he seems not to know about the THIRTY people murdered during the last protests and not a single person arrested for any of them. Nor any sign of any investigation.

And now this.

People are sick and tired of having innocent's murdered and nobody held accountable. Up until now there has only been one active terrorist group in Bangkok and hence people are right to suspect they are behind it. This is an escalation for sure - but given the circumstances (most notable being that police cannot be trusted to help any more) one can appreciate it might happen given the increasing desperation of those who might have done it.

Pacifism and burying your head in the sand would be great if they worked. Trouble is, they only ever make things worse.

Because he seems not to know about the THIRTY people murdered during the last protests and not a single person arrested for any of them. Nor any sign of any investigation.

And now this.

People are sick and tired of having innocent's murdered and nobody held accountable. Up until now there has only been one active terrorist group in Bangkok and hence people are right to suspect they are behind it. This is an escalation for sure - but given the circumstances (most notable being that police cannot be trusted to help any more) one can appreciate it might happen given the increasing desperation of those who might have done it.

Pacifism and burying your head in the sand would be great if they worked. Trouble is, they only ever make things worse.

"Not a single person arrested for any of them"

​Most likely because the roots of the perp. would have been embarrassing for the powers-that-be.

"Up until now there has only been one active terrorist group in Bangkok"

I don't think the PDRC would re-engage at this point. The status-quo favors them already.

Edited by Blackfalds

Am I the only one that has trouble reading this type of article??? I want my 5 minutes back!

This is the way they are taught to write, here. Insinuate, allude to, hint at. Even when you are writing about condemning insinuation, you insinuate. Otherwise, I guess the defamation laws will get you. It's like reading old East Bloc Soviet style propaganda. You must interpret and divine. Forthright statements not allowed.

This is the way they are taught to write, here. Insinuate, allude to, hint at. Even when you are writing about condemning insinuation, you insinuate. Otherwise, I guess the defamation laws will get you. It's like reading old East Bloc Soviet style propaganda. You must interpret and divine. Forthright statements not allowed.

Sort of like avoiding 30-day suspensions here.

And now this.

It appears he's not the only one who has just arrived in Thailand, as there have been several arrests made for the various grenade throwers of 2014, the victory monument thrower early on, then the Trat thrower, but hey, don't let the truth get in the way of your constant inaccuracy within your post contents.

What side of the divide was your popcorn gunman hero on again? You know, the guy who's in jail for what was various firearms offences ,will be a murder charge now, as one of his victims died.?

The irony here is that from what I've seen, it's the farangs on TVF who are the most bitter and bigoted here, not the Thais.

So who has created the divide, promulgated mis-information to maintain it, and in whose interest is it to deepen that divide?

I think it would be fair to say that all parties have had a hand in the creation of the divide, and all are probably guilty of disseminating mis-information from time to time. The deepening of the divide is unavoidable until their is some give and take on all sides.

So who has created the divide, promulgated mis-information to maintain it, and in whose interest is it to deepen that divide?

The divide was there long before you arrived in the country, long before Thaksin rose to power, long before most of us were born.

The divide was there long before you arrived in the country, long before Thaksin rose to power, long before most of us were born.

The divide happened long long ago, when a group of Chinese immigrants, today known as Thai Chinese brought in their form of corruption, white lies and supressing FACE brainwashing agenda into Siam to clamp down the poor.......

Elections...Period.

The above quote applies to those who cannot win them.

Being new here, I am surprised this is not apparent to everyone.

They need to create political disfunction in order to overcome electoral challenges and create other pathways to power.