Best Twisties

AllanB

Depends. What bike are you riding?

If I can get the few niggles worked out a 1983 Honda NV400, if not thinking about a Benelli TNT 302, we are two up all the time, no hurry.

Mae Hong Song Loop is on the list for next February when my mate gets back, 4 on two bikes. But I want to ride a few before that. Anything considered.

If I can get the few niggles worked out a 1983 Honda NV400, if not thinking about a Benelli TNT 302, we are two up all the time, no hurry.

Mae Hong Song Loop is on the list for next February when my mate gets back, 4 on two bikes. But I want to ride a few before that. Anything considered.

Personally, I wouldn't enjoy the MHS loop two up on a smallish displacement bike like the Benelli TNT 302 (not sure about the hp of the Honda). There are a lot of uphill switchbacks and if you don't have the torque to pull out of the corner, you're just a sitting duck for other bigger vehicles.

I've ridden the MHS loop a few times, two up, on my Versys 650 and the most glaring shortcoming is the lack of power coming out of the corners, especially on an uphill switchback, even dropping down to 2nd or 1st gear. On my Ninja 1000, it's an altogether different experience.

Stick with the 1339 to Nan or the AH12 from Mae Sot to Tak / Phitsanulok or the 323 from K'buri to Sangklaburi. You will still enjoy the sweeping turns, albeit at a slower speed.

I Agree on MHS loop, road in poor condition on a lot of corners, way too much traffic, lunatic silver vans cutting the corners, and those switchbacks lose their novelty after the first 30 or so, not much fun.

Honestly, go to Nan, best roads in Thailand, very little traffic. They built the roads along the tops of the hill ridges and then deforested it so you can see several bends in front to see if traffic is coming so you can get the hammer down.

Have a read of my trip report on Nan below.

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/thailand-ride-reports/6580-famous-five-take-fabulous-four-nan.html

Interesting comments about MHS, my legs are a bit suspect, so perhaps solo would be sensible. Could leave the girls in a CM hotel with the truck to go shopping. Do the suggested 1339 to Nan or the AH12 from Mae Sot to Tak / Phitsanulok and the 323 from K'buri to Sangklaburi first or later.

Done the CM to Pai leg in a truck and the NV is quite torquey and a semi cruiser stance, but still.

I am in the UK at present looking at trousers for my low speed riding and saw these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hip-and-Knee-Protectors-Set-for-Newfacelook-Jeans-/111131904603 anyone have an opinion using cargo pants...being in mind I am Captain Slow?

If you don't want to go as far as the loop, Ratchaburi (Sueng Pueng) to Kanchanaburi have a mix of new and old tarmac twisties. Some nice tarmac just past Khao Krajom.

Edited by BBJ

Personally, I wouldn't enjoy the MHS loop two up on a smallish displacement bike like the Benelli TNT 302 (not sure about the hp of the Honda). There are a lot of uphill switchbacks and if you don't have the torque to pull out of the corner, you're just a sitting duck for other bigger vehicles.

I've ridden the MHS loop a few times, two up, on my Versys 650 and the most glaring shortcoming is the lack of power coming out of the corners, especially on an uphill switchback, even dropping down to 2nd or 1st gear. On my Ninja 1000, it's an altogether different experience.

Stick with the 1339 to Nan or the AH12 from Mae Sot to Tak / Phitsanulok or the 323 from K'buri to Sangklaburi. You will still enjoy the sweeping turns, albeit at a slower speed.

You ride those twisters 2-up on your Ninja 1000?

Sounds fun.

Allan, if you're still in UK, take a look at http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/.

I seem to remember you saying you hang out in Norfolk sometimes - the Hood factory is in Attleborough - I'm sure you could visit if pre-arranged.

I used their denims for years & years in UK and now use the cargo pants here around KK and they're good - hot but not as hot as denims.

Allan, if you're still in UK, take a look at http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/.

I seem to remember you saying you hang out in Norfolk sometimes - the Hood factory is in Attleborough - I'm sure you could visit if pre-arranged.

I used their denims for years & years in UK and now use the cargo pants here around KK and they're good - hot but not as hot as denims.

Martin, is that your bike? If so what is it, I like these old bikes built for 2.

I am off to Manchester this week for these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-Motorcycle-Armours-Cargo-Trousers-Jeans-Reinforced-With-Aramid-Fibres-/121251967838?var=&hash=item1c3b2e335e

On another matter..I have never ridden a sporstbike on twisties, I assume the a low centre of gravity cruiser is better on the tighter bends, especially with 2.

Martin, is that your bike? If so what is it, I like these old bikes built for 2.

It's a 1964 Ducati 250 Daytona. It used to be my bike but I sold it, with so many regrets, before coming to Thailand. How I wish I still had it here!!!!

Built it from a wreck & then built it again following an arson attack.

It's a 1964 Ducati 250 Daytona. It used to be my bike but I sold it, with so many regrets, before coming to Thailand. How I wish I still had it here!!!!

Built it from a wreck & then built it again following an arson attack.

What we need is a "stealth" container ship, fill it up with these great bikes and land them in a Thai Cornish smuggler's cove. Then find a master forger for the green book.

...Did I say that all out loud?whistling.gif

I Agree on MHS loop, road in poor condition on a lot of corners, way too much traffic, lunatic silver vans cutting the corners, and those switchbacks lose their novelty after the first 30 or so, not much fun.

Honestly, go to Nan, best roads in Thailand, very little traffic. They built the roads along the tops of the hill ridges and then deforested it so you can see several bends in front to see if traffic is coming so you can get the hammer down.

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/thailand-ride-reports/6580-famous-five-take-fabulous-four-nan.html

Dude, quit talking about Nan. Its supposed to be a secret. Shhhhhh.

Dude, quit talking about Nan. Its supposed to be a secret. Shhhhhh.

oooops, I'll get me coat....

You ride those twisters 2-up on your Ninja 1000?

Sounds fun.

I did the trip with some Ducati boys who were on Diavels and Multistradas and my Versys would not have kept up. It was fun right up to the point when we had to make a mad dash from Pai back to CM in the dark as they had to catch the plane back to Bkk (the bikes were sent back by truck).

This is great thanks, good forum this, have a couple of months when I get back to put a "Chase the Twisty Tour" together. First fix the bike, pack the bike, 'er indoors and go. Bought a tank bag for the map and various beauty products, 2 lightweight wetbags from Decathlon for the extra luggage and made up a set of cam-buckle straps. These strapons work very well.crazy.gif

So please continue sharing your secrets and I promise to enjoy myself.