Buying a new TV

MZurf

Yep, I've been swamped by that ad when surfing on my mobile.. still trying to make an excuse to buy it ;)

Note: The UF770(0) series strengths aren't picture quality though - while it's 4K and huge, the PQ is only average.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So called Smart TV's are not wort paying extra for but I have noticed that they seem to have more inputs ie: 3 HDMI instead of 2. How many devices do you need to connect to, in my case 3 Cable Box, Android Box, DVD Player

Bought a 50 LG a while ago and love it, 3 HDMI ports plus the rest. Just bought a 42 TCL as it was on sale and needed an upgrade for a bedroom tv. It seems slow to change source (menu buttons) after starting a media player movie I sometimes have to switch my input source to hdmi 1 then back to hdmi2 to get a clear picture. Audio out only has one jacke a mini video Jack so connecting to sound bars and home theatres doesn't give much options. Next time I will pay the extra 5K and go with LG or other then TCL.

Yep, I've been swamped by that ad when surfing on my mobile.. still trying to make an excuse to buy it wink.png

Note: The UF770(0) series strengths aren't picture quality though - while it's 4K and huge, the PQ is only average.

Powerbuy had an LG 79 inch online for 99 999 Baht a month or two ago.

When I asked about it, they only had a few sets in Bkk.

I'm not sure if it was the same model though.

I was looking at that but ended up with a Panasonic 55CX600t which is also very good.

I have been looking at Panasonic because of their 3 year warranty.....your choice has great specs.

Haven't seen this model around in Thailand....where did you buy it from? what was the price?

Thanks

Sanuk

Don't buy a TV unless you've seen it playing HD content alongside other TVs.

I wouldn't bother with Smart TV nonsense, you're better buying a decent Android box and using that. The "non-Smart" TVs are cheaper.

And the way things are going, the more HDMI and USB ports the better.

Smart TV is king.

Plays HBO and netflix flawlessly.

Samsung.

No boxes what soever.

No fiddling with software or searching Internet for solutions.

Just watch and relax.

I was looking at that but ended up with a Panasonic 55CX600t which is also very good.

I have been looking at Panasonic because of their 3 year warranty.....your choice has great specs.

Haven't seen this model around in Thailand....where did you buy it from? what was the price?

Thanks

Sanuk

It was bought from Emporium - free delivery to home as usual.

Price was around 50,000 baht - so a bit more than the W800 Sony, but still a good prie for a decent 4k screen. The models up from that (CX700 amd CX800 while even more excellent are also a big step up in price... and 55" is also more than big enough for me.

Got some gift vouchers and a decent free wall mount systme with it too - not needed as i've a nice stand setup, but will use it for another room.

Worth doing the IOS THX-Tune UP, or getting a professional in to calibrate the screen also, I'd say.

Should be great for the next 3 to 5 years, by which time a better 4k and OLED screen will probably be the choice... and Panasonic are just getting in to the OLED screens now, also. At present could only see LG OLED and only the silly curved ones in Bangkok.

Fine to buy the latest & greatest large TV in LOS but what are you going to watch?

Well, apart from some golf and some shows on True Cable, we've been watching Peaky Blinders, Penny Dreadful, Blacklist amongst many other series like Homeland, Walking Dead, Orange is the New Black, The Americans, House of cards, Game of Thrones, Utopia, Olive Kitteridge, and too many others to list, some movies.... Left the wife to catch up on House of Cards (US) while I'm away, then maybe we can watch the latest season together along with the latest season of Bron/Broen - been a while since that first season.

Those are watched from the Plex Server on my Synology NAS through a Minix X-8 running the Plex client. Mostly 1080p, some 720p.

Edited by coops

The golf channel isn't dubbbed into Thai, in Bangkok True cable at least - although it may be transmitted with dual audio, so you need to ensure your True box settings are set to english as the primary language.

I'm not American either... not that nationality would explain a dislike for Deadwood, The Sopranos, Band of Brothers or some other good US shows. wink.png

Having got hold of and enjoyed the original UK House of Cards I was a bit horrified about the idea of a US redo, but in this case it's a good modern version..

Plenty of decent UK shows too - and i especially recommend Bron/Broen (The Bridge) with english subtitles of course... how can you say no to a Scandinavian crime drama with a blonde, Porsche driving, leather trouser wearing lead detective...

The-Bridge-010.jpg

I have no idea whether TRUE Satellite is different to Cable.

I quite enjoyed House of Cards & The Sopranos but I think they ceased a long time ago.

BTW, we have 5 Samsung Smart TVs. The family watch one of those.

My guess is that the remainder are for decoration purposes only.

The worst thing about TVs is that technology is always increasing, average size of screen too but price decreases.

Gone are the days when you keep a TV for 10+yrs.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't bother with Smart TV nonsense, you're better buying a decent Android box and using that. The "non-Smart" TVs are cheaper.

Smart TV is king.

Samsung.

No boxes what soever.

Just watch and relax.

Do smart TVs support VPN? In order for me to watch Netflix, I have to use VPN on my iPhone via AirPlay. My AppleTV has a Netflix app as well but does not support VPN.

Smart TV is king.

Samsung.

No boxes what soever.

Just watch and relax.

Do smart TVs support VPN? In order for me to watch Netflix, I have to use VPN on my iPhone via AirPlay. My AppleTV has a Netflix app as well but does not support VPN.

True.

1 box, wifi router with VPN.

But you could not run the TV without a router anyway.

Or a ADSL modem or something to get you to the net.

Network somewhat necessary.

VPN setup within router, yes.

Smart TV is king.

Samsung.

No boxes what soever.

Just watch and relax.

True.

I have shared access to the Internet that does support VPN but no direct access to the router configuration. I'd like to be able to watch Netflix and YouTube and bypass my iPhone option which seems to be quite slow. Will a Smart TV with wifi right out of the box allow me to do this?

<...>

<...>

I have shared access to the Internet that does support VPN but no direct access to the router configuration. I'd like to be able to watch Netflix and YouTube and bypass my iPhone option which seems to be quite slow. Will a Smart TV with wifi right out of the box allow me to do this?

If you can connect a second Router/WiFi device that has built-in VPN capabilities on the 'shared LAN' then you could connect your devices that need VPN to THAT.

An Ethernet cabled connection would be preferred.

Doing it as a WiFi repeater/extender setup would be a test of patience.

• 4 months later...

Just to update this thread a bit

I now find myself looking for a new TV at present, and am facing all the various technological choices mentioned in various posts earlier on. I'm no geek when it comes to TV technology, but I do try to keep my ear to the screen, so to speak.

One interesting new element is the emergence of the High Dynamic Range (HDR) standard. From everything I'm hearing/reading, HDR is supposed to make a real noticeable difference in the visual quality of watching TV -- as opposed to the failed gimmick of 3D TV and the recent emergence of UHD (Ultra High Def) TVs, which seems kind of pointless for most available video sources inside Thailand.

I was out shopping today, and saw the stores filled with supposed UHD models (I just read an article on the differences between UDH capable, UHD compliant and UHD certified models...YIKES!!!), including a lot at reasonable prices. But I didn't see a lick relating to HDR. I wanna say, I read that HDR sets only are coming out with the 2016 models in the U.S., so perhaps that means they're not on the shelves yet here in Thailand. Anyone know the status of HDR for the Thai market???

At any rate, I'm wrestling with the question many have posted above. I'd like to get a current, forward leaning technology TV and can afford UHD models. But, at home, the wife and I pretty much only use our TVs for watching Thai cable TV or streaming U.S. content online -- no DVDs, no torrenting, no BlueRays, etc.

So, I'm kind of scared that I'll plunk down 15 or 20K for a new UHD TV, take it home and connect it to True cable or my video streams from the U.S. that are already constrained by available international bandwidth/speeds, and the video on screen will look crappy. So, anyone who's bought a 40+ inch UHD model care to comment on how their video looks when hooked up to Thai digital OTA, Thai cable or internet streaming sources?

I'm feeling like a 1080p model, for our intended uses, probably is the best choice, both in terms of price and viewing quality. But the coming of HDR is kind of wild card and I'm not sure how that fits in, and whether it would make sense to wait longer until HDR TVs arrive on the Thai store shelves.

Just to update this thread a bit

I now find myself looking for a new TV at present, and am facing all the various technological choices mentioned in various posts earlier on. I'm no geek when it comes to TV technology, but I do try to keep my ear to the screen, so to speak.

One interesting new element is the emergence of the High Dynamic Range (HDR) standard. From everything I'm hearing/reading, HDR is supposed to make a real noticeable difference in the visual quality of watching TV -- as opposed to the failed gimmick of 3D TV and the recent emergence of UHD (Ultra High Def) TVs, which seems kind of pointless for most available video sources inside Thailand.

I was out shopping today, and saw the stores filled with supposed UHD models (I just read an article on the differences between UDH capable, UHD compliant and UHD certified models...YIKES!!!), including a lot at reasonable prices. But I didn't see a lick relating to HDR. I wanna say, I read that HDR sets only are coming out with the 2016 models in the U.S., so perhaps that means they're not on the shelves yet here in Thailand. Anyone know the status of HDR for the Thai market???

At any rate, I'm wrestling with the question many have posted above. I'd like to get a current, forward leaning technology TV and can afford UHD models. But, at home, the wife and I pretty much only use our TVs for watching Thai cable TV or streaming U.S. content online -- no DVDs, no torrenting, no BlueRays, etc.

So, I'm kind of scared that I'll plunk down 15 or 20K for a new UHD TV, take it home and connect it to True cable or my video streams from the U.S. that are already constrained by available international bandwidth/speeds, and the video on screen will look crappy. So, anyone who's bought a 40+ inch UHD model care to comment on how their video looks when hooked up to Thai digital OTA, Thai cable or internet streaming sources?

I'm feeling like a 1080p model, for our intended uses, probably is the best choice, both in terms of price and viewing quality. But the coming of HDR is kind of wild card and I'm not sure how that fits in, and whether it would make sense to wait longer until HDR TVs arrive on the Thai store shelves.

Cant speak for true as I do not have it but Thipmanee digital on my 55" UHD is pretty damn good, as is Netflix.

The LG "UHxxx" series have HDR support.

But where are you going to get content with HDR? wink.png

Thanks for that!

In checking, it looks like the UHD models from LG that we were looking at were their UF series, which I'm guessing is a lower price range set, as opposed to the UH series you mention.

And those UF models had no mention of HDR unless the Thais are marketing it under some different name, despite loudly promoting that the sets are UHD capable.

post-58284-0-10624600-1461558807_thumb.j

Though in talking to the store staff, apparently the actual price for this set is 17,990 at present, not 19.

post-58284-0-53410200-1461558824_thumb.j

I'm not worried about HDR content now. But I'm thinking over the next several years that that will begin to arrive via my U.S. streaming sources, and isn't necessarily as data/bandwidth intensive as 4K content. But that's a point I'm not entirely clear on, in tech terms.

At any rate, the main TV in our house now is almost 10 years old, and still running fine for our uses. So, whatever we buy in this current go-round, I'm expecting/hoping will be with us long into the future.

On that point, BTW, the store staff seemed to be saying that the LG models we were looking at carry only a 1 year manufacturer warranty vs the 3 years offered by some of the other manufacturers.

PS - We started out looking at LG TV not for any preference or technical reason, but because my wife is friends with one of LG's sales managers here in BKK. But if they have a 1-year warranty for most of their consumer models, I suspect this is going to end up being a very short look.

Cant speak for true as I do not have it but Thipmanee digital on my 55" UHD is pretty damn good, as is Netflix.

Thanks for that.

Re Netflix, are you using the Thai or the U.S. version?

And, when you say Netflix looks good, are you talking about their regular SD content, HD, or the very limited 4K they're beginning to offer (at least for U.S. accounts)?

FWIW, I was just checking Netflix, and I see that their support info says that in order to stream their UHD content, they recommend a steady bandwidth of 25 Mbps or better. Dunno about a Thai Netflix plan, but getting a steady 25 Mbps in the past from U.S. Netflix on my True cable connection was IMPOSSIBLE!

For their regular HD quality streams, Netflix recommends a steady 5 Mbps or better, which certainly is do-able here. And they say their HD streams are 720p or better. So I'm assuming, any of their regular HD content right now is going to look just fine on a regular 1080p TV.

------------------------------------

As for cable, re TrueVisions, we have a regular SD subscription to it (for free) that we don't really use or watch. But in the forums here, I feel like I'm regularly reading customers complaining that even for True's HD channels, that they're compressing the content such that it doesn't really come across as even real HD quality content.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Here's an interesting article that explains what HDR TVs are about. And if I'm reading it correctly, it appears to be saying that HDR-capable TVs are going to carry the "UHD Premium" label.

How do I know if a TV is HDR compatible?

One of the big TV announcements to come out of CES 2016 was the Ultra HD Premium label. The standard was unveiled by the UHD Alliance, a consortium of TV manufacturers, technology firms, and film and TV studios, whose aim is to prevent abuse of the term ‘HDR’

Previously, HDR was rushed out to consumers before anyone had really agreed on a set of standards to define it. TV manufacturers and content providers therefore had very little in terms of clearly defined specs to work to when creating HDR screens and content.

With the UHD Premium label, we now know the precise specifications to which a TV must conform in order to be considered HDR compatible.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdr-tv-high-dynamic-television-explained

As for available HDR streaming content, it looks like it's already out there in the streaming world, to some extent.

JULY 2015

Amazon beats Netflix to deliver HDR video

Amazon has struck a blow against Netflix in the battle for streaming supremacy, beating its rival to the punch with the first HDR (high dynamic range) content. It's available now on select 2015 Samsung TVs.

http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-beats-netflix-to-deliver-hdr-video/

Though curiously, both the 2015 CNET article above and this April 2016 Digital Trends article below says the video quality of the HDR content they've tested steaming from Amazon has not been good -- at least not thus far. If you read the full CNET article, it was updated to mention they tested Amazon HDR with Samsung 2015 HDR TVs, and didn't like what they saw. However, from everything I'm reading, the HDR technology itself (vs how it's implemented say by Amazon now) is supposed to be very good for viewing.

Got a new 4K UHD TV? Here’s where to go to start watching the best 4K content right now
By Ryan Waniata April 6, 2016

Finally, Amazon also now streams a short selection of 4K Ultra HD series with high dynamic range (HDR), including Mozart in the Jungle and Red Oaks. So far the feature, which is designed to deliver epic contrast, tends to suffer heavily from compression artifacts in our experience, even at relatively high bandwidth speeds. The jury’s still out on how long it will be until HDR streaming is worth getting excited about.
I guess one kind of un-answered question here is: Did the Amazon HDR content look not so great because of the technology Amazon was using to stream it, or, did it look not so good because the reviewers were watching it on earlier 2015 HDR TV sets before the final and consistent HDR standard was settled on for 2016 and beyond TV models?

Thanks for that.

And, when you say Netflix looks good, are you talking about their regular SD content, HD, or the very limited 4K they're beginning to offer (at least for U.S. accounts)?

FWIW, I was just checking Netflix, and I see that their support info says that in order to stream their UHD content, they recommend a steady bandwidth of 25 Mbps or better. Dunno about a Thai Netflix plan, but getting a steady 25 Mbps in the past from U.S. Netflix on my True cable connection was IMPOSSIBLE!

For their regular HD quality streams, Netflix recommends a steady 5 Mbps or better, which certainly is do-able here. And they say their HD streams are 720p or better. So I'm assuming, any of their regular HD content right now is going to look just fine on a regular 1080p TV.

As for cable, re TrueVisions, we have a regular SD subscription to it (for free) that we don't really use or watch. But in the forums here, I feel like I'm regularly reading customers complaining that even for True's HD channels, that they're compressing the content such that it doesn't really come across as even real HD quality content.

Thai Netlfix, HD.

Meanwhile, just in the past week, I'm seeing news that Netflix is now beginning to offer/stream HDR content, including the first season of "Marco Polo," and other content coming.

But, similar to UHD, the article below says Netflix's version of HDR is going to require/recommend bandwidth of 25 Mbps -- the same as for their UHD content.

TechHive - April 13, 2016

Netflix flips the switch on eye-popping HDR video streaming
Netflix adds high-dynamic range video for TVs that support it, but the bandwidth requirements are steep.

To play back HDR content, you need a capable TV, and they only started trickling onto the market last year. TV makers are pushing the new format hard this year, however, and if you buy a high-end set in 2016 from vendors such as LG, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, or Vizio, there’s a good chance it will support HDR.

Netflix also has its own requirements for HDR playback: Subscribers will need Netflix’s 4K Ultra HD plan, which costs $12 per month. And as with existing 4K streams, Netflix recommends Internet speeds of at least 25 Mbps per second. That’s five times faster than what the company recommends for 1080p playback.

As for particular HDR formats, Netflix is supporting both the open HDR-10 and the proprietary Dolby Vision, the latter of which works on HDR sets from Vizio, TCL, and LG. As we explained in January, HDR-10 is likely to be the baseline in any HDR stream, and Dolby Vision sets should support that format as well. So while there is a format war brewing, it’s fairly low stakes for consumers.

http://www.techhive.com/article/3055308/streaming-services/netflix-flips-the-switch-on-eye-popping-hdr-video-streaming.html

Here's the summary portion of what looks like a good article on HDR and TV shopping for 2016. TechHive, Jan. 21, 2016.

Curious about HDR? Here's everything you need to know if you plan to buy a TV in 2016
High dynamic range video promises to be the next big thing in TV tech, but you'll need to be careful when you shop for a new set.
uhdpremium-100636034-large.jpg
What’s a TV buyer to do?

It's understandable if your eyes glazed over at all the HDR details above. Ideally, users shouldn’t have to do a ton of research to grasp what HDR is and what they need to enjoy it.

But it’s still an early-adopter technology, which means things aren’t going to be so simple in 2016. So before you head to the store, here are some key takeaways about HDR this year:

• Getting the best picture from an HDR TV will require HDR content. Amazon offers HDR for some of its shows already, while Netflix, Vudu, and YouTube are planning to offer HDR this year. The first 4K Blu-ray players are also coming soon, and they’ll support HDR by default.
  • Some TVs will advertise themselves as “HDR-enabled,” but that alone is not an indicator of quality. Ideally, you can pick up a TV with an “Ultra HD Premium” label, but they’ll be expensive for at least a couple years.
  • Until Ultra HD Premium becomes more affordable, a TV that advertises Dolby Vision support should be a safe bet in terms of HDR quality, because Dolby plans to enforce some of its standards on TV makers. (“We definitely don’t want a TV with Dolby Vision to look like crap,” said Dolby’s Giles Baker.)
  • If all else fails, shoot for a TV that hits or comes close to 1000 nits brightness, which is what the UHD Alliance recommends for Ultra HD Premium TVs. (OLED TVs have lower nit requirements due to a lack of backlighting, but they’ll also be some of the priciest TVs you can buy.)
  • The HDR situation for cable, satellite, and telco TV services is a lot murkier compared to streaming and Blu-ray, which means it’s hard to say if an HDR television bought in 2016 will work with HDR content from these providers, whenever it arrives.
  • Currently, there are no game consoles or streaming boxes on the market with HDR built in, so users will have to access HDR content directly through their smart TVs. To prepare for future HDR set-top boxes, you’ll want an HDR TV that supports HDMI 2.0a.

The abbreviated version of this abbreviated conclusion? It’s safe to buy an HDR TV in 2016, and you'll enjoy immediate benefits if you do. But before you plunk down thousands of dollars on a new set, look for more than the acronym alone.

http://www.techhive.com/article/3022434/smart-tv/curious-about-hdr-heres-everything-you-need-to-know-if-you-plan-to-buy-a-tv-in-2016.html

Interestingly, one of the articles I read above said that HDR quality video doesn't necessarily have to be of the UDH pixel dimensions of 3840x2160. And that TV manufacturers could do 1080P TVs in HDR capable format, but the article said NONE of the HDR TVs offered at 2016 CES combined 1080p with HDR.

Thanks for that.

You don't need a VPN for Netflix 4K - practically all of their 4K content is in-house-produced and available on the local service.