Foreigner robbed and beaten on Asoke Montri in Bangkok

webfact

I was obviously considered for a mugging as I came out of Bangkok Bank Emporium branch yesterday. I was in there about 30 minutes, came out and headed to the BTS staircase by Benjasiri park carrying a bag with my passport, bank book etc but no cash. As I was walking underneath the stairs to go up I noticed some shifty looking local guy was following me about a metre behind me, I sensed him so I stopped to let him past me. My girlfriend commented that he looked pretty dodgy and I agreed so we waited a few seconds and carried on. He was waiting for me at the bottom of the BTS steps. As I approached he moved out into my path so me and the gf both stopped and just looked at him (we commented/joked later that we both had a defiant/aggressive expression of "well come on then, if you're going to try and rob us then get on with it").

He stared at us a couple of seconds and turned his back and jogged off into Benjasiri Park. Very dodgy, almost certainly waiting outside for someone to leave the bank.

Not sure what happened to this guy on Asoke, but don't assume if you're doing nothing wrong then nothing will happen, especially in the current economic climate.

Astonishing that this can happen in the CBD of the capital. Down some dark alley one can understand, even though it's wrong. But it shows just how Thailand has gone down the plug hole in the past few years.

A decade ago such an occurence would have been unthinkable against a foreigner in broad daylight.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was obviously considered for a mugging as I came out of Bangkok Bank Emporium branch yesterday. I was in there about 30 minutes, came out and headed to the BTS staircase by Benjasiri park carrying a bag with my passport, bank book etc but no cash. As I was walking underneath the stairs to go up I noticed some shifty looking local guy was following me about a metre behind me, I sensed him so I stopped to let him past me. My girlfriend commented that he looked pretty dodgy and I agreed so we waited a few seconds and carried on. He was waiting for me at the bottom of the BTS steps. As I approached he moved out into my path so me and the gf both stopped and just looked at him (we commented/joked later that we both had a defiant/aggressive expression of "well come on then, if you're going to try and rob us then get on with it").

He stared at us a couple of seconds and turned his back and jogged off into Benjasiri Park. Very dodgy, almost certainly waiting outside for someone to leave the bank.

Not sure what happened to this guy on Asoke, but don't assume if you're doing nothing wrong then nothing will happen, especially in the current economic climate.

Astonishing that this can happen in the CBD of the capital. Down some dark alley one can understand, even though it's wrong. But it shows just how Thailand has gone down the plug hole in the past few years.

A decade ago such an occurence would have been unthinkable against a foreigner in broad daylight.

Where do you think robberies usually happen?

"Down some dark alley"? This is real life, not the movies.

sure you haven't been watching the godfather too many times ..... whistling.gif

Nice one whistling.gif I was expecting some smartass comments from the usual TV bellends but expected better than that...

Just a warning for people, they can ignore it if they like. I've been full time in BKK 7 years now and that was the first time I've felt like I was being sized up for a robbery. GF felt exactly the same thing. This was 1pm in the afternoon.

And where was he going to rob you? In broad daylight with loads of people around.

I've been here 7 years too, I'm glad I've not become as paranoid as you.

Rookies

It is amazing what theories have been put forward about why this man was assaulted, mostly blaming him, even thought the OP provides no clues at all as to the motive. It which might have been a random mugging and robbery that could happen to any of us.

It is shocking.

Also surprising is the complete absence of the phrase "blaming the victim". Where did all the victim defenders go?

There are some scary reports on this thread - people being attacked in central areas such as The Emporium, Central World, and Asoke. I've always felt safe in Bangkok but it looks like I'll mostly be sticking to places directly connected to the BTS from here on out.

I had my cell phone stolen in a semi-dark area at night while walking from Nana BTS to Ploenchit BTS but I partially brought that on to myself by not being careful. I was carrying a few items and also stopped to check my phone. The ladyboys who robbed me certainly saw me using my smartphone beforehand. They grabbed onto my arms (and they were STRONG) and asked to go with me. After a minute they let me go. 30 seconds later after I had walked a bit, I noticed my phone was gone. The ladyboys were long gone by then.

Harrowing experience but I supposed it is a rite of passage to be robbed by ladyboys in this manner. Doesn't really compare to getting physically attacked or even threatened.

I have thought once or twice about changing money at 'Super rich' when I arrive from the UK for an extended stay. I have decided against it thinking along the lines above that anyone leaving Super Rich must surely be a target for mugging. Dont know if there is extra policing in the area.

Edited by SunsetT

I have thought once or twice about changing money at 'Super rich' when I arrive from the UK for an extended stay. I have decided against it thinking along the lines above that anyone leaving super rich must surely be a target for mugging. Dont know if there is extra policing in the area.

There are plenty of Superrich branches at the BTS stations, which should be safer. The rate is not as good as the main branch but it is still not bad.

I know of branches at BTS Phaya Thai, Siam, Chitlom, Asoke, and there used to be one at Phrom Phong.

Definately not a good news for foreigners in such touchy situation where bombs are found and been discharged...

My Thai g/f was robed in Rangsit in the way to work...by thieves on the bike...and not long time ago.

I do not remember so many cases in Los in time before.

Of course people will come to Los as usual but this image of safe place slowly is disappearing and disappointing.

I have thought once or twice about changing money at 'Super rich' when I arrive from the UK for an extended stay. I have decided against it thinking along the lines above that anyone leaving super rich must surely be a target for mugging. Dont know if there is extra policing in the area.

There are plenty of Superrich branches at the BTS stations, which should be safer. The rate is not as good as the main branch but it is still not bad.

I know of branches at BTS Phaya Thai, Siam, Chitlom, Asoke, and there used to be one at Phrom Phong.

thanks for the info. That could safer. Are the branches actually within the stations?

Why would the desperate not contemplate it when they know they will get little more than a slap on the wrist. It's surprising that it doesn't happen more frequently.

Even the beggars ( ie those who the govt was said to have moved into care some months ago and created a beggar free Bangkok) are cursing non givers these days. Soi 11 a case in point.

Thats why I like Vietnam, the penalties for crime are so severe (by western standards) that most people think twice about doing them - a simple snatch & grab can get them 6 months to 7 years at hard labor, Rape culminating in Murder is Death, Major Corruption is 35 years to life - and believe me, 10 year at hard labor in those prisons is a death sentence. I would say it is the safest place to vacation, women can travel alone thruout the country - I am not saying there is no Crime, but ...................BTW I ive in both countries, so .............

Why would the desperate not contemplate it when they know they will get little more than a slap on the wrist. It's surprising that it doesn't happen more frequently.

Even the beggars ( ie those who the govt was said to have moved into care some months ago and created a beggar free Bangkok) are cursing non givers these days. Soi 11 a case in point.

Thats why I like Vietnam, the penalties for crime are so severe (by western standards) that most people think twice about doing them - a simple snatch & grab can get them 6 months to 7 years at hard labor, Rape culminating in Murder is Death, Major Corruption is 35 years to life - and believe me, 10 year at hard labor in those prisons is a death sentence. I would say it is the safest place to vacation, women can travel alone thruout the country - I am not saying there is no Crime, but ...................BTW I ive in both countries, so .............

That's completely untrue. Petty crime is common in Vietnam - at least in the cities.

Well after reading all this horse shit it seems like everyone should make sure they're home by 7.30pm and definitely don't go near Asoke, Emphorium, Nana or Ploenchit .... all to dangerous ... !!

what a load of horse shit I've read today !! I've lived here 20 years and never had a problem ..

You want to see danger, try Caracas after 9.00pm or Mindinao ... coffee1.gif

Lived in Caracas 2 years, it was the Murder Capital of the world three years running - took over from Moscow..........but we knew where to go, and where not to go.

Well after reading all this horse shit it seems like everyone should make sure they're home by 7.30pm and definitely don't go near Asoke, Emphorium, Nana or Ploenchit .... all to dangerous ... !!

what a load of horse shit I've read today !! I've lived here 20 years and never had a problem ..

Lived in Caracas 2 years, it was the Murder Capital of the world three years running - took over from Moscow..........but we knew where to go, and where not to go.

And?

After reading the form for the last 4 years , I think some of the people who post comments are as Naive as they portend the Thais to be!... I was jumped by 3 guys about 2 years ago!... And yes it was mid afternoon on sukhumvit!... Your day will come!

Dont beleive a word,sorry.

Yes, someone gets mugged on Asoke and it gets on TV and everyone thinks it's dangerous. Maybe those who feel there is cause for concern should ensure they are home early and don't travel to those bad spots.

whistling.gif oh Bangkok is so dangerous. What garbage ....

if anyone is concerned just ensure you travel in two's and not alone ... that will always deter anyone.

Indeed. One of the great things about living here is how rare these types of muggings are. Unlike London!

Do not confuse non reporting / under reporting of crimes to mean that the crimes do not occur.

The RTP are rather useless and the general population, particularly those who are marginalized or poor, do not usually seek their help. Some foreigners who are in Thailand for a short time, know that there is no point in reporting a crime because the RTP are not going to do anything. Unlike Bangkok, London has monitored, working CCTV and a professional police force. I am far safer in London than I am in Bangkok. If I am mugged in London, 1st responders will be there to help within minutes of a call for help and I will be treated with compassion and respect. I will never be asked for an incentive payment, nor have to show up to point my finger.

I have a very similar story that took place Friday night where I ended up pretty bloody. I am just now feeling better. I am planning to write the story and post it tonight as a warning for others. I was also at Asoke-Montri. I was viciously attacked. The robber had at least one accomplice around the corner. I certainly was not drunk. I had my two and a half year old son with me when it took place. We happened to be walking to buy him some milk from 7-11. I will link the post here.

I can certainly appreciate the gravity of this guy's situation.

Yes, pls post it up.

You must be kidding - ive lived in Vietnam the past 7 years and its absolute anarchy when it comes to robberies, its not direct violent crimes but its motorbike robberies and there is not 1 week going by without someone you know that has gotten bagsnatched/pushed off their bike and robbed, often for peanuts. They do target women/girls for the most part of it, which is really nasty.

And the anarchy angle here is that they do have police, but they dont do anything, you are most of times unable to report crimes, you can forget about calling police if something happens so basically youre on your own. Thai police are top achievers compared to here.

ive been bagsnatched 4 times here, had my stuff stolen numerous time, cheated in every single way - ive been allover the world and never in my life been robbed or had stuff stolen from me, until i arrived in vietnam where it could happen every day if you dont take your precautions.

That said, its not violent crime ( mostly ) so ofcourse it feels more safe than back home where you have to assume people might also wanna jump on your head because they are bored, we dont have that here yet.

But ive been through Thailand for the past 15 years and i never ever in my life experienced anything bad in Thailand only met very nice people and feel incredible safe there - but i do know its different probably living there which i unfortunately doesnt do, and i also know theres a gun culture which is abit scary compared to here where guns are almost non existing.

My theory about thailand is if you act nice and treat people nice - you get nice*10 back - if you are a fool obviously you can get away with it as there are many fools there, if you push it over the top then at some point it explodes.

So probably a bigger chance of getting smacked in the head in thailand than vietnam, but 100% more chance of getting robbed in vietnam than i would almost say any other place in the region here.

Maybe he stole something or didn't pay for some service?

We never know...

Maybe tomorrow we read his view on what happened?

But if a foreigner gets attacked by Thai it doesn't automatically mean the Thai were wrong.

sure you haven't been watching the godfather too many times ..... whistling.gif

Nice one whistling.gif I was expecting some smartass comments from the usual TV bellends but expected better than that...

Just a warning for people, they can ignore it if they like. I've been full time in BKK 7 years now and that was the first time I've felt like I was being sized up for a robbery. GF felt exactly the same thing. This was 1pm in the afternoon.

And where was he going to rob you? In broad daylight with loads of people around.

I've been here 7 years too, I'm glad I've not become as paranoid as you.

lol, 9 years in total just 7 in BKK. Never been sized up before, never even crossed my mind. I was yesterday. If it makes you feel safer to think I was paranoid then that's fine. Everyone needs a comfort blanket sometimes, even internet tough guys like yourself.

BKK is pretty safe compared to where I lived in London, but it's naive to think there is no risk at all as you can see from multiple posts on this thread. Not to mention the guy that was attacked with a knife a few weeks back on Ekkamai, in broad daylight with loads of people around. I guess that never happened?

Maybe he stole something or didn't pay for some service?

We never know...

Maybe tomorrow we read his view on what happened?

But if a foreigner gets attacked by Thai it doesn't automatically mean the Thai were wrong.

Yes, I do agree with you

You can get mugged anywhere in the world. Only if it happens to a foreigner in Thailand, all hell breaks lose on social media. I don't really wanna know how many times the "f word" (Thais don't really like to hear it) has been used before any "innocent" foreigner got punched in the face. Never have been mugged for 24 years. Why? Because I believe in what goes around comes around and because I always am properly dressed, very differently dressed than the average tourist, and VERY different from the average backpacker. I always meet locals, officials, waiters, whomever, at eye level - never giving the impression that I am for whatever reason "above" them; not bending over or making wais all the time, but simply straightforward friendliness and openness... I still feel that Thailand is much safer than most other countries in SEA.

Edited by MockingJay

Another somewhat disappointing news article that does not provide us with the answers to the most obvious of questions.

Tell us, in your own words, Mr. Beaten Up Foreigner, what happened exactly??

What....no one thought to ask or forgot to print what the victim had to say about what happened to him.

If, let us say...he was entertaining the possibility of going with a Lady Boy, which there is a known abundance of at those hours of the evening and early morning in that particular area, then possibly he may not want to tell the real story...but still you would think he would want to tell the basics of what happened even if he started the problem and someone else or others ended it.

Cheers

You can get mugged anywhere in the world. Only if it happens to a foreigner in Thailand, all hell breaks lose on social media. I don't really wanna know how many times the "f word" (Thais don't really like to hear it) has been used before any "innocent" foreigner got punched in the face. Never have been mugged for 24 years. Why? Because I believe in what goes around comes around and because I always am properly dressed, very differently dressed than the average tourist, and VERY different from the average backpacker. I always meet locals, officials, waiters, whomever, at eye level - never giving the impression that I am for whatever reason "above" them; not bending over or making wais all the time, but simply straightforward friendliness and openness... I still feel that Thailand is much safer than most other countries in SEA.

I'm not sure why your choice of trousers or the way you talk to waiters has anything to do with getting mugged.