Went To Visit Suvarnabhumi Today

grtaylor

A friend and I decided to drive out to Suvarnabhumi today after lunch, and have a look round. It seemed that half of Bangkok also had the same idea!

Some observations:

• going from the ploenchit expressway entrance, to the airport and back again to the same place was a round-trip of 64km.
  • no problem parking in the multi-storey, which is a short walk from the 3rd (mezzanine) floor - then go up for departures, or down for arrivals
  • plenty of escalators and travelators between floors, so no problem moving luggage
  • basic infrastructure looked OK, but many shops and restaurants not open yet
  • Bangkok Airways, Thai (domestic), Air Asia, JetStar Asia, and El Al all had flights leaving today
  • everything looks quite clearly sign-posted, but, of course we weren't allowed "air-side"

No doubt there will be problems, but opening a new airport of this size in any major city must be a nightmare . . . . .

Give them a chance!

Edited by grtaylor

I did see some vehicles outside the Arrivals Hall, including a small number of taxis (I think) and limousines. I was driving my own car, so was trying not to miss signs (which I did!) at the time.

Didn't see the Immigration Office, and, on the floor plan I have it isn't marked as such. However, on Level 3 the "Meeting and Greeting Gallery" there 3 places listed as "Government Agency" (also one on the Arrivals floor (2) near Passport Control. which I guess could be the Visa-on-arrival" desk). I guess it might be one of the Level 3 ones.

Graham

Some people asked where the Immigration office for re-entry permits is at Suvarnabhumi. The next person reconnoitering the new airport could perhaps find out and report.

--------------

Maestro