US is now averaging more than one mass shooting per day in 2015

webfact

"For the 17th time since he was sworn in as US president, Barack Obama attempted on Thursday to make some sense of an act of mass gun violence."

The statistics
US gun crime in 2015 Figures up to 3 December

Mass shootings

• 62 shootings at schools

• 12,223 people killed in gun incidents

• 24,722 people injured in gun incidents

Source: Shooting tracker, Gun Violence Archive
AP

Mass shootings: The attack in San Bernardino was the 353rd mass shooting this year. A mass shooting is defined as a single shooting, which kills or injures four or more people, including the assailant.

Source: Mass Shooting Tracker

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34996604

Let's do take a look at your numbers.

The sky is not really falling.

Obviously 62 shootings at schools is of little concern.

One shooting is of concern so please don't try and picture me as something I am not.

FactCheck in an article from June 2014 addresses school shooting claims by both The Brady Campaign and Everytown.

The analysis states in conclusion...

"Everytown for Gun Safety is, of course, free to use whatever definition of “school shooting” it desires. But we find the group’s methodology overstates the number of school shootings. By our count, as of June 10, 2014, there had been 34 school shootings — not 74 — since the Sandy Hook shooting on Dec. 14, 2012."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Spinning Statistics on School Shootings

By Alexander NachtPosted on June 25, 2014

Article here: http://www.factcheck.org/2014/06/spinning-statistics-on-school-shootings/

Oh - 34 not 74....what a relief!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe how much worldwide media attention mass-shootings in the US command. All the front-page articles, column inches, it really doesn't concern anyone outside of America, I don't see how it's that newsworthy. True, Americans live around the world so may want to read it, but it makes little sense to make it seem so important on international papers. The killers crave this, it may be best not to give them the attention they deserve.

Great insight into US parochialism and why they have such enormous gun problems.

• 1 year later...