Thai Police Target Farang For Shakedowns

somo

I use the tollway every week and have never been stopped. But then I don't speed (often)! The police are often there and you can usually spot the radar operator a couple of kilometres before the toll gate.

Doesn't matter if you spot the bloke in the box and keep your speed at the required 80 KPH, just about everyone gets hauled in at Don Mueng Tollway. When they have the farang in, the speech usually goes along the lines of "welcome to Thailand, these are the speed limits-----" Donation please.

If you speak reasonable Thai you can usually waffle your way out of it, in fact I have done pretty well the last few weeks with a host of excuses.

You must have the winning lottery tickets or the golden hoop not to have been clobbered.

Well i have been there dozens of times and its never ever happened to me .

Given that I've only been stopped once in 11 years of driving here, and that was a routine checkpoint looking for unregistered guns, I suspect there's something about the OP's car or his appearance that is attracting attention.

Been stopped often but only once on that tollway and an extortion attempt was made with no mention of what i had done wrong, i dont think we are targeted but i have noticed their face light up when the window rolls down to reveal a westerner behind the wheel, my guess is the greed level just goes up in the belief the baht will flow easier,

With me they get nothing but give scowls as they wave me on.

Getting on the the Expressway on Rama 4, making a right turn at the Intersection. Paying the toll. Driving until the merger. Same tiny cop on a big bike has pulled me over five times for running the red light. I wont even pull into the intersection when its green if I cant make it thru.

I get pulled over and am made to stop in the middle of the merge. I started to get out of my car as fast as possible. He hates that. Now he just waves back to me when I honk and wave to him where he parks his bike at the toll booth.......

Getting on the the Expressway on Rama 4, making a right turn at the Intersection. Paying the toll. Driving until the merger. Same tiny cop on a big bike has pulled me over five times for running the red light. I wont even pull into the intersection when its green if I cant make it thru.

I get pulled over and am made to stop in the middle of the merge. I started to get out of my car as fast as possible. He hates that. Now he just waves back to me when I honk and wave to him where he parks his bike at the toll booth.......

Its always a good idea to get out of the car when stopped for a shake down, likewise on the bike if stopped i get off and remove my helmet also demanding they take the mask off else i cant understand what they say,

Also good to remember they are all camera shy.

Edited by tingtongfarang

I use the tollway every week and have never been stopped. But then I don't speed (often)! The police are often there and you can usually spot the radar operator a couple of kilometres before the toll gate.

Doesn't matter if you spot the bloke in the box and keep your speed at the required 80 KPH, just about everyone gets hauled in at Don Mueng Tollway. When they have the farang in, the speech usually goes along the lines of "welcome to Thailand, these are the speed limits-----" Donation please.

If you speak reasonable Thai you can usually waffle your way out of it, in fact I have done pretty well the last few weeks with a host of excuses.

You must have the winning lottery tickets or the golden hoop not to have been clobbered.

Well i have been there dozens of times and its never ever happened to me .

Another b/sh*tt*r with the golden rivet. Every day I must be imagining all those cops at DM tollway.

Been thru literally 1000+ times and never been stopped. Do you have an out town license plate?

and his sudden realisation that my Thai missus was with me.

where was she hiding ?

btw Do police accept passport copies

She's only little and was in the reclined position!

Btw why would you think my passport was a copy ?

Been thru literally 1000+ times and never been stopped. Do you have an out town license plate?

Not last time I looked, maybe because I wear a balaclava and tin hat when going to work.

One of the downsides of driving a Ferrari in Thailand...

Trust me if you are driving a Ferrari you will not get stopped ever. The chances are too high you would know someone who knows someone high ranking who can make life miserable for them. They won't risk it.

Not directly related to the OP, but I know for a fact that they target falang motorcyclists with the basic (and true) logic that most tourists won't have a motorcycle drivers license.

I've been stopped many times with just my UK licence, but it does have motorcycle... only time I got booked was on beach road in pattaya, for not having international drivers permit. Nice laminated page was presented, showing official full licence in English not ok. Paper translation(international permit) that could easily be made by a 5yr old, OK.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Bangkok plates.

Not really any news in foreigners getting targetted here I think ... dosent matter if its tourists or expats as long as its not thais ...

Absolute rubbish.

Beat me to it.

I was going to say "hogwash."

Look at any checkpoint where a lot of people are being stopped. Many more Thais than farangs are being shaken down.

Isn't the place also called Thailand?

For the record, I've been driving here for over 15 years and despite being questioned numerous times at the standard road checkpoints (mostly in Isaarn and South Thailand), and have previously not been shaken down nor felt intimidated as on the recent occasion at the BKK tollway.

Ever since a very early episode when I was new here and was taken for 500bt for an incorrect document relating to the hire car....as it turned out ..a routine service sheet belonging to another vehicle in the fleet !, I have been wary and aware of the "etiquette".

I am a sensible driver, speak the language well and am polite and essentially calm and rational.

I have Krabi plates on the car and I agree with a previous poster that this may contribute to being singled out. However, I do not have very dark tinted windows and on both occasions being stopped directly after the paying at the booth and the barrier lifting, although not necessarily the case ,also lends to making you feel that you are the"chosen one" perhaps because you are a foreigner .

In any event, why single out a vehicle because it has out of town plates ? Is it illegal ? Or are you being considered "fair game"??

Nb....in my opinion a dash cam is a definitely a worthwhile investment when it comes to these matters.

For the record, I've been driving here for over 15 years and despite being questioned numerous times at the standard road checkpoints (mostly in Isaarn and South Thailand), and have previously not been shaken down nor felt intimidated as on the recent occasion at the BKK tollway.

Ever since a very early episode when I was new here and was taken for 500bt for an incorrect document relating to the hire car....as it turned out ..a routine service sheet belonging to another vehicle in the fleet !, I have been wary and aware of the "etiquette".

I am a sensible driver, speak the language well and am polite and essentially calm and rational.

I have Krabi plates on the car and I agree with a previous poster that this may contribute to being singled out. However, I do not have very dark tinted windows and on both occasions being stopped directly after the paying at the booth and the barrier lifting, although not necessarily the case ,also lends to making you feel that you are the"chosen one" perhaps because you are a foreigner .

In any event, why single out a vehicle because it has out of town plates ? Is it illegal ? Or are you being considered "fair game"??

Nb....in my opinion a dash cam is a definitely a worthwhile investment when it comes to these matters.

The last toll booth on the DM tollway northbound is a favourite spot to catch drivers breaking the speed limit on the tollway. They have a mobile speedcamera operated by a police officer just after the last exit before the toll booth. You can see the spot even when the PO is not there as they have setup a sun shade to keep him comfortable!

Everyone gets stopped who breaks the limit which is enforced at 80 km at this speed trap. I was stopped doing 95 earlier this year and was let go with a caution that 80 is now the limit on all BKK expressways.

A couple of months later I was stopped when doing 80 but once the PO saw my dashcam he let me go. I posted about this on another thread.

Last week, again on the DM tollway, I was kindly reminded of the speedtrap by a motorist on the south bound lane flashing his lights to warn us!

Edited by pj123

Anyway who is stupdi enough to pay 70 thb on this totally useless tollway ?

Have you seen a trafic like on the standard road downstairs ?

The last toll booth on the DM tollway northbound is a favourite spot to catch drivers breaking the speed limit on the tollway. They have a mobile speedcamera operated by a police officer just after the last exit before the toll booth. You can see the spot even when the PO is not there as they have setup a sun shade to keep him comfortable!

Everyone gets stopped who breaks the limit which is enforced at 80 km at this speed trap. I was stopped doing 95 earlier this year and was let go with a caution that 80 is now the limit on all BKK expressways.

A couple of months later I was stopped when doing 80 but once the PO saw my dashcam he let me go. I posted about this on another thread.

Last week, again on the DM tollway, I was kindly reminded of the speedtrap by a motorist on the south bound lane flashing his lights to warn us!

I have since got to know nearly all of the cops there as I have been stopped about 10 times now ie on every occasion I have passed through and they are pulling drivers over so it is no coincidence - they target us as they think we are easy prey.

They are preying on anyone, not just foreigners... unless of course the last 10 times you were stopped the others who you saw pulled over were only other foreigners.

It does seem that when some Westerners are stopped by the BiB they claim they are being specifically targeted for being 'Farang'... In reality the Police are much more indiscriminate in their attempts to secure a little 'tea money'... they are pretty much happy to target anyone regardless of nationality... They may be more wary when stopping the drivers or more expensive vehicles.

Indeed. They're absolute vermin, and if anyone thinks Farangs have it bad, it applies even more to others. They're a cancer on society.