True router swap out - what to expect?

phazey

So the True router at my place in Bangkok has shit the bed, specifically, it will not allow anything to associate to wifi.

If anyone has done this within the last 6 months, i'd like to know what make and model they provided ? I also seem to remember some auto sign up proceedure, how would that work with new equipment? This was 6 years ago so my memory is sketchy..

Cheers

./P

Can not help with what they may provide but if auto sign up is what I believe you mean it should be turned off for security - you should control access with the old school hard to guess password as normal.

The WiFi of your current unit has not been turned off by any chance? Many have a switch on back that can do this.

Hey,

No the sign up was when we initially commissioned the ADSL. The wifi on the unit is on, and the SSID is searchable, but simply no device (4 phones, 3 laptops) cannot associate to it.

But no worries, after i posted this thread, the wife informed me True told her to just go buy one, and they'll send someone to come out and configure it.

Just ordered a TD-W8961ND from Lazada - hope their next day delivery is up to scratch.......

When you get the new router make sure it it is properly secured.

It one was of the exploitable models I reported earlier this year.

https://www.ncf.ca/ncf/support/wiki/CERT-announced_vulnerability_of_TP-Link_modem/router

(Not that this link describes the problem, but the solutions are for Canadian models. You should look on the manufacturers website for firmware applicable to you if it's needed.

Edited by Chicog