Frequent visits, Malaysian or Singaporean passport

My GF lives in Singapore, I live in Thailand. Neither can move right now (work etc.) and I can't travel for various reasons, so she'll be visiting me often until we figure out a better solution. She's currently Malaysian but plans to swap to a Singaporean passport as she's been living there for 10+ years (she's eligible for Singaporean citizenship). Dual citizenship isn't legal in that part of the world so she can't have two passports.

Would Thai immigration be OK with frequent (maybe 2-4 times / month, a few days at a time) visits? She's only eligible for TR visa.

Do Malaysians / Singaporeans get unlimited entries on TR visas or are they limited (1, 2 or 3) like the rest of us?

I know it's not a particularly ideal scenario but until we find a better setup, would Thai immigration object to very frequent short visits?

Edited by AngThong

What exactly do you mean by "TR visa"

If the G/F has a valid visa in her passport, obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate, she will experience no difficulty.

TR = tourist visa.

I don't know if different rules apply to Singaporeans / Malaysians, but if she only gets 1, 2 or 3 entries per visa like the rest of us, she'll have to apply for 1-2 visas visa per month. I wonder if that'd work... That would be 12-24 visas in a year.

"Would Thai immigration be OK with frequent (maybe 2-4 times / month, a few days at a time) visits? She's only eligible for TR visa.

Do Malaysians / Singaporeans get unlimited entries on TR visas or are they limited (1, 2 or 3) as for the rest of us?"

There are no multi entry TR visas available only 1,2 or 3 entries.

Both Malaysians and Singaporeans are entitled to unlimited 30 day visa exempt entries (no visa).

There is no limit to the number of times someone can enter under visa exempt entry. However, after a while she may be questioned about her visits. IO's will want to satisfy themselves that she's not illegally working.

If she ever uses visa exempt entry I'd recommend that she carries some proof of her job in Singapore then if interviewed she will have the proof needed.

They may at some point warn her to get a visa but they cannot legally deny her entry for not having one.

Mixing TR visas with visa exempt entries should work.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

That depends on the policy of whichever Embassy/Consulate the visa(s) are obtained from.

Best to ask the relevant Embassy/Consulate.

Singaporeans can obtain a 90 day visa exempt entry .......... As can Malaysians!

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/57

Best check that list is up to date and current .....

Edited by nowretired

"Would Thai immigration be OK with frequent (maybe 2-4 times / month, a few days at a time) visits? She's only eligible for TR visa.

Do Malaysians / Singaporeans get unlimited entries on TR visas or are they limited (1, 2 or 3) as for the rest of us?"

There are no multi entry TR visas available only 1,2 or 3 entries.

Both Malaysians and Singaporeans are entitled to unlimited 30 day visa exempt entries (no visa).

There is no limit to the number of times someone can enter under visa exempt entry. However, after a while she may be questioned why about her visits. IO's will want to satisfy themselves that she's not illegally working.

If she ever uses visa exempt entry I'd recommend that she carries some proof of her job in Singapore then if interviewed she will have the proof needed.

They may at some point warn her to get a visa but they cannot legally deny her entry for not having one.

Mixing TR visas with visa exempt entries should work.

OK, thanks. We'll see how it goes.

In thai eyes malaysian passport same as singaporean one....all part of ASEAN....if she arrives by air, one month free visa is chopped at airport.

If overland, then its two weeks.

Thanks. She's already visited a few times and has had no trouble getting a visa exemption stamp, it's just the high frequency of visits I'm slightly concerned about.

Singaporeans can obtain a 90 day visa exempt entry .......... As can Malaysians!

Are you sure?

I thought only diplomatic/official passport holders get 90 days. Ordinary passport holders only get 30 days unless somethings recently changed.

Are you sure?

I thought only diplomatic/official passport holders get 90 days. Ordinary passport holders only get 30 days unless somethings recently changed.

I know Brazilians and some other S Americans get 90 day visa exempt entries with ordinary passports.

However in our case, length isn't important as she'll only stay a few days per visit. Number of entries matters.

In thai eyes malaysian passport same as singaporean one....all part of ASEAN....if she arrives by air, one month free visa is chopped at airport.

Thanks. She's already visited a few times and has had no trouble getting a visa exemption stamp, it's just the high frequency of visits I'm slightly concerned about.

If she is questioned about frequency she will have to explain. Best she always has sufficient cash + a return ticket.

What are the mysterious reasons which prevent you travelling ?

Are you sure?

Check in the link I provided.

Maybe I misread the information, if so apologies are offered !

Are you sure?

I know Brazilians and some other S Americans get 90 day visa exempt entries with ordinary passports.

However in our case, length isn't important as she'll only stay a few days per visit. Number of entries matters.

Yes you're right. Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Korea (ROK) and Peru all get 90 days.

I think the fact that the stays are short will work in her favour even if she visits frequently. Plus she's entering through an airport. Most problems occur with people using multiple visa exempt entries at land borders. Someone illegally working is likely to have long stays and an opposite pattern to your girlfriend.

She's nothing to worry about. They will not deny entry at an airport. A warning or a shortened stay are the worst case scenarios. And if she carries proof that she doesn't need to work here IO's don't really have a leg to stand on.

Are you sure?

Check in the link I provided.

Maybe I misread the information, if so apologies are offered !

I think you did :)

This is a better link from the immigration website.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/services.pdf

If she is questioned about frequency she will have to explain. Best she always has sufficient cash + a return ticket.

What are the mysterious reasons which prevent you travelling ?

Ok. I'm a single parent with young kids, don't have anyone I can leave the kids with. Travelling with them is a lot of hassle & expensive so we'll try this first. Maybe one of us can relocate later, we'll see.

Yes you're right. Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Korea (ROK) and Peru all get 90 days.

I think the fact that the stays are short will work in her favour even if she visits frequently. Plus she's entering through an airport. Most problems occur with people using multiple visa exempt entries at land borders. Someone illegally working is likely to have long stays and an opposite pattern to your girlfriend.

She's nothing to worry about. They will not deny entry at an airport. A warning or a shortened stay are the worst case scenarios. And if she carries proof that she doesn't need to work here IO's don't really have a leg to stand on.

OK, thanks :)

• Like 1

Nope, for Malaysians it's always 30 days irrespective of the mode of travel. For Singaporeans, it's 15 days if arriving overland.

They are proposing a multiple entry tourist visa. Malaysians and Singaporeans only get the same length of stay when entering via air as other ASEAN nationals, which is 30 days. The exception is for Singaporeans entering by land as I've already explained.

But currently, it may be possible for a Malaysian to obtain a double entry tourist visa in Malaysia and a Singaporean could potentially ask for the same when applying in Singapore, whereas other nationalities only get single entry.

Nope, for Malaysians it's always 30 days irrespective of the mode of travel. For Singaporeans, it's 15 days if arriving overland.

Malaysians only get 30 days by land if crossing from Malaysia. A Malaysian crossing from Cambodia to Thailand would only get 15 days.