Catarac surgery

fred Kubasa

You might want to Google this topic (cataract removal) on Thai Visa. There are several extensive threads on the topic and reading through them will save you the time of thinking of and asking various questions about the procedure and give you access to many members' opinions after having them removed. Good luck.

Can not provide personal verification but expect all full hospitals perform such operations - it is required by most people these days with our longer lifespan. And is basically a very inexpensive and safe procedure if using the basic IOL.

Many consider the Rutnin Clinic, in Bangkok, the best eyes only speciality hospital in Thailand.

I was quoted 5,500-Bt, per eye, for IOL. Not really inexpensive, yet very experienced surgeons.

Can not provide personal verification but...it is basically a very inexpensive and safe procedure if using the basic IOL.

Even if they do cataracts there I would not advise it as these are district level hospitals.

The government hospital in Chonburi town is a regional hospital and would be a good choice if you want to do this in a government hospital. Queen Sirikit would also be an option though I believe they may have started two tier rpicing so that Chonburi regional hospital might be less.

Not sure if at a government hospital you will have full range of options for type of lens.

Sheryl: Thanks for your comment. I had single-vision lenses installed at Bumrungrad but find that over the years my vision has been getting progressively weaker. I guess that changing the lenses may not be possible or fraught with danger but I wish that they had discussed the option of various lenses with me. Of course, I have the prescription of my bifocals adjusted to compensate for the increasing weakness. Do you know of any other solution?

Sheryl: Thanks for your comment. I had single-vision lenses installed at Bumrungrad but find that over the years my vision has been getting progressively weaker. I guess that changing the lenses may not be possible or fraught with danger but I wish that they had discussed the option of various lenses with me. Of course, I have the prescription of my bifocals adjusted to compensate for the increasing weakness. Do you know of any other solution?

A Labrador...........................coffee1.gif

Have you had a thorough evaluation to find out the cause of your deteroriating eyesight (by an opthalamologist, not just a vision test by an optomitrist)?

And when you say getting progressively weaker what exactly do you mean: just more and more farsightedness, or something else?