Yellow book for a single guy at Banglamung, any recent experiences?

Obtaining a Yellow book as proof of residency has nothing to do with ownership or marital status.

Each province and Amphur lay down their own requirements for obtaining one.

There is a current detailed topic and the experiences of Sheryl here;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/849377-can-someone-please-explain-yellow-books-blue-books-amphur-letters/page-2#entry9813860

Some find it straightforward, which was my experience. 40 minutes in the Amphur office and free.

Others find the obstacles put in place are just too much and give up.

In my 11 years of involvement with Thailand, through a few visas, a work permit, 2 extensions of stay based on work permit, 7.5 extensions of stay based on marriage (I had the first visit to Immigration for #8 on Thursday past), three driver's license visit (the original 1 year, then two 5 year renewals), getting the Yellow Tambien Baan, and various other government involvements, the most difficult by far was that which should have been the easiest.

That was changing the name on the electrical service to the house after we married and my wife took my surname. Nobody at the "light office" seemed to know the procedure, and it was complicated by the fact that the light bill is paid out of her bank account. It was probably 3 trips to the bank and 5 or 6 to the electrical service office to get that squared away.

Obtaining a Yellow book as proof of residency has nothing to do with ownership or marital status.

Each province and Amphur lay down their own requirements for obtaining one.

There is a current detailed topic and the experiences of Sheryl here;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/849377-can-someone-please-explain-yellow-books-blue-books-amphur-letters/page-2#entry9813860

Some find it straightforward, which was my experience. 40 minutes in the Amphur office and free.

Others find the obstacles put in place are just too much and give up.

I cannot remember if the Amphur charged me anything for the Yellow Tambien Baan or not....if they did it was minimal.

We did have the poo baan make an appearance...my wife knows him, I had never met the guy, even though he lives perhaps a five-minute walk from our house. He would not take any money for his time, but was happy to accept a case of beer, of which the wife and I helped drink a couple of bottles.

I have had another friend just inform me today that you can use the yellow book to register yourself at the local government hospital to get health care services at Thai prices as well. Sounds better and better.

Re: birth certificate, I thought I had mine but it does not seem to be in with my big folder of documents sad.png I have the information, names and DOBs, and the list of documents Nongpreu wants does not ask for the BC, so I'm gonna try to do it without the BC, though I'm going to order a new copy if I can't find it after a more exhaustive search.

Totally not true. Yes, there were a few folks up country that were erroneously enrolled in the government health system based upon the having a Yellow Book , but once the Thai authorities found out about this those privileges were quickly revoked

See what our resident health expert, Sheryl, says on the matter:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/517331-expats-with-yellow-book-to-prove-residency/?p=4903155 (post#11)

/shrug

Juzt tonight we were talking about this and the guys were showing me the hospital cards they have.

Maybe they are something different than the Thai cards. Honestly, I have not delved into the mysteries of the Thai health care system at all. Just passing on information, and being clear where it came from.

The cards they were showing are probably what I call "customer cards".

You go to the hospital or clinic for anything and they input your info and they give you the card. Now you are in their system and on subsequent visits you just show the card. The card in and of itself does not entitle you to Thai pricing on services.

When I worked in BKK, as part of the temporary relocation package I was given a tour of Bumrungrad Hospital. They took my info and registered me into their system and gave me a card. I still have the card, and I guess that would be a starting point if I went there for medical care, even though my employer, insurance, and passport have changed since.

I have had another friend just inform me today that you can use the yellow book to register yourself at the local government hospital to get health care services at Thai prices as well. Sounds better and better.

Re: birth certificate, I thought I had mine but it does not seem to be in with my big folder of documents sad.png I have the information, names and DOBs, and the list of documents Nongpreu wants does not ask for the BC, so I'm gonna try to do it without the BC, though I'm going to order a new copy if I can't find it after a more exhaustive search.

Totally not true. Yes, there were a few folks up country that were erroneously enrolled in the government health system based upon the having a Yellow Book , but once the Thai authorities found out about this those privileges were quickly revoked

See what our resident health expert, Sheryl, says on the matter:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/517331-expats-with-yellow-book-to-prove-residency/?p=4903155 (post#11)

/shrug

Juzt tonight we were talking about this and the guys were showing me the hospital cards they have.

Maybe they are something different than the Thai cards. Honestly, I have not delved into the mysteries of the Thai health care system at all. Just passing on information, and being clear where it came from.

The cards they were showing are probably what I call "customer cards".

You go to the hospital or clinic for anything and they input your info and they give you the card. Now you are in their system and on subsequent visits you just show the card. The card in and of itself does not entitle you to Thai pricing on services.

When I worked in BKK, as part of the temporary relocation package I was given a tour of Bumrungrad Hospital. They took my info and registered me into their system and gave me a card. I still have the card, and I guess that would be a starting point if I went there for medical care, even though my employer, insurance, and passport have changed since.

OK. Fair point. I really haven't dug into that aspect, like I said.

The law and the lawyer on this site said,that single people can get a Yellow book,but getting past the people in the Amphur office is a different matter.I got knocked back twice at a small office but i will go to the provincial capital one day and get there opinion.No biggy at the moment but may get a lawyer involved latter.

I got mine a couple of years ago, I am single , live in Nongprue district so used Nongprue Municipal Office up Soi Nernplubwan, had my passport translated by a office on Soi Post Office, my Thai partner plus a neighbour acted as witnesses, I have extension of stay based on retirement, don't recall getting certificate of residence from immigration ? but that could just be memory lapse! Pretty straight forward, paid 100 baht for photocopying, two weeks later picked up my yellow book. The only downside was the driving licence centre in Pattaya will not accept yellow book as proof of residence!

55,you do the hard work to get the book and they still knock you back on their own paper work.Thai logic,hard to beat at times.

Really, just how many people have copies of their parents birth certificates ?

SInce you have to get a residence certificate from Immigration any way, you can use that to purchase your new motor bike

I am afraid that all the "benefits" that you say a Yellow Book are going to give you are not necessarily correct and all can also be obtained just by the Residency Certificate from Immigration

So don't think that your magic Yellow Book is going to give you anything other than the bragging rights that you have it.

The only mandatory reason for a Yellow Book is that it is required should you ever want to apply for permanent residency

Any sane person,moving to another country for a long time would bring a birth cert.Easy to do when you are in your home country,but a bugger to do from here.As i learnt in the Scouts,be prepared.

I think that health deal for farangs is well gone mate,loophole closed.

I think that health deal for farangs is well gone mate,loophole closed.

Possibly, something to investigate after the YB is in hand.

One step at a time.

The law and the lawyer on this site said,that single people can get a Yellow book,but getting past the people in the Amphur office is a different matter.I got knocked back twice at a small office but i will go to the provincial capital one day and get there opinion.No biggy at the moment but may get a lawyer involved latter.

It can help to show them that other foreigners have obtained yllow books if single (ignoring the fact that there is no legal requirement).

I am single and got one so it can be done.

I suspect that they think that if you are married a) you are more likely to remain in Thailand long term and B) are less likely to commit crime or otherwise be a reprobate etc. if you have the guidance and calming influence of a Thai national. So you may need to jump through a few more hoops than a married guy to show that you are "worthy" enough to get one (again ignoring the fact that we are meant to be entitled to one as long term residents)

It can help to show them that other foreigners have obtained yllow books if single (ignoring the fact that there is no legal requirement).

I am single and got one so it can be done.

I suspect that they think that if you are married a) you are more likely to remain in Thailand long term and cool.png are less likely to commit crime or otherwise be a reprobate etc. if you have the guidance and calming influence of a Thai national. So you may need to jump through a few more hoops than a married guy to show that you are "worthy" enough to get one (again ignoring the fact that we are meant to be entitled to one as long term residents)

The desk lady did ask me a few questions about living alone before she seemed to accept that she was going to help me get this done. She was sort of stuck on "who takes care of you?" and after a bit she seemed to get that "I take care of myself".

It may have helped that I told her I am going to Thai language school, she perked up hearing that, and seemed to like me trying to use my really horrible Thai skills. Honestly I think I may be lucking out just having a nice lady running the desk I need to talk to.

Don't want to count my chickens before they hatch though.

• 3 weeks later...

Had my big appointment for the yellow book today, and it went pretty well. My landlord and the lady from the bottle shop in the building were my two witnesses. They and the city hall lady all chit-chatted a bit while papers were passed around and signed. Eventually we were all done and the lady said she would call me when the book is ready. No estimate on time for that to happen so...

In the end I needed:

Copy of passport

Translation of passport

Affidavit with my name, passport number, my parents names and their dates of birth.

Residence certificate from Immigration

3 passport photos (2 inch)

1 witness who's name is on the blue book for the property

1 witness who is Thai and will attest I live where I say I live.

Copy of the blue book

Copy of both witnesses' ID cards

I seem to have lost my birth certificate somewhere along the way, so I got together with my Thai teacher and worked up a Thai style affidavit with the requested info. This actually worked out well because I was able to use my chosen (with help) transliterations of our names.

Got a call from the Nongprue office lady to come in to sign some more papers. My application package is all assembled now and is being shuffled through the halls of power, I guess it has to work it's way up to the Mayor's office for his signature and then it's just a matter of printing up my book. I was told that from here it should be 2 or 3 weeks until I can pick up the book.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from picking up my Yellow Book at the Nongprue office. After the papers were done it was just a matter of processing time, no extra hoops to jump through. No last minute fees.

All in all it was a fairly painless process, but I think I'm lucky to have such an accommodating and helpful landlord.

• 2 months later...

...................................... It requires the presence of the house owner and one other witness. The Amphur requires a copy of the house owners ID and a copy of the owners chanote. It takes about four hours out of the lives of these folks......................................

I just got back from picking up my Yellow Book at the Nongprue office. After the papers were done it was just a matter of processing time, no extra hoops to jump through. No last minute fees.

All in all it was a fairly painless process, but I think I'm lucky to have such an accommodating and helpful landlord.

I think so too.

I wonder how that would work for someone living in a large condo' block, always assuming they knew who owned it?

Presumably the Yellow Book is associated with the OP's current apartment, so is it the same as with a Blue Book in that when he moves in a year's time it's game over until/unless he does it all again for his next address?