Skype over billing?

NOC

I signed up for an international number on skype that was to cost 13.99 a month.

I just looked at my paypal account and the seem to be charging an 18.00 dollar 3 month subscription fee, on top of the monthly 13.99 fee for the number.

Maybe I made a mistake, but I don't think so. Anyone else have this experience? Was there something in the fine print?

As a side question, does anyone know of an alternative that is cost effect?

I recently did this but only paying the 3 month subscription, nothing at all for the "number"

Also an amount for call credit (at start) which obviously reduces as you use it etc., have you set the "auto re-charge ? that recharges your credit when it falls below a certain level. Could that be what you are paying ?

Try downloading "LINE" app for FREE. It works on all smart phones, computers, laptops & most tablets for free phone calls, texting & video calls. The person your calling needs to have downloaded the app. No contracts, no fees. I use it worldwide.

I recently did this but only paying the 3 month subscription, nothing at all for the "number"

Also an amount for call credit (at start) which obviously reduces as you use it etc., have you set the "auto re-charge ? that recharges your credit when it falls below a certain level. Could that be what you are paying ?

I didn't see anything like that. It was supposed to be a flat rate for unlimited international calling.

I didn't see anything like that. It was supposed to be a flat rate for unlimited international calling.

The number enables people to reach you anywhere in the world, if you use call-forwarding to your cell phone as an example, it will cost you, as will voice messages if they are left, it will also cost you dependent on what numbers you are calling and where etc, only skype to skype is free. So, it sounds like your calling credit is being eaten up somewhere by other services, then its auto -recharging when it falls below a certain amount.

I think you're mixing two different things. At $13.99/month, I believe you have an Unlimited World subscription. Which is for calling out. The $18.00 for 3 months is probably for the Skype Number, to allow people to call you from regular phone lines.

Skype Number used to be called a "Skype In" number, which is a bit clearer why you'd get that. They are billed separately. Though with a subscription, the Skype number is half price. Or maybe used to be half price. Mine still is, but I've had it for many years so maybe I'm grandfathered under the old terms. US $30/year for the number, which I believe would be $60/year if I did not have a subscription. Or higher priced if I did not pay for the full year up front.

The Skype Number allows someone to call you from a regular phone or cell phone. Otherwise, they can only call you via Skype.

The subscription allows you to call from Skype to regular phones or cell phones based on what the plan covers.

Unless there is something different about international service, you don't need to have both. If you are getting only incoming calls, you can just have a Skype Number to allow people to call you from regular phones, but outgoing calls are the standard minute rates per call. If you just want the number for people to reach you, you can drop the subscription. Though the Skype Number might then cost more upon renewal.

Or you can have just a subscription so that you can call eligible regular phones for a fixed fee. But then anyone trying to call you doesn't have a phone number to call, just can call via Skype. If you're only calling out, then you should be able to just cancel the Skype Number.