Obtaining special prescription drugs

pompey1960

Hi to all,

I am contemplating returning to Phuket after being back in Europe for the last 2 years. I suffered a TIA (mini stroke) October 1014 and I am being prescribed Dabigtran PRAXADA which is an expensive anti coagulation drug. Does anybody know the cost in Phuket here over the counter in a Pharmacy? Many thanks in advance.blink.pngwai.gif

Can't help with the price, but can help with the spelling. It's Pradaxa.

It's a class "S" drug here in Thailand, meaning you'll need a prescription. You'll also need a larger pharmacy or hospital pharmacy for its purchase.

Thanks for your advice. Getting a UK repeat prescription is no problem, it is whether the Uk prescription be recognised in Thailand. It is nice to know that it is available and I don't think there will be a generic as it is a new drug, the cost is the main concern as I got stung in Spain for 95 Euros for a months supply! I suppose there will be a doctor willing to write a prescription in Phuket but would be nice to know how much? Once again thanks for your help.

I don't believe a UK prescription will be valid in Thailand. I'm sure Sheryl will be along shortly to confirm that.

A quick look at patent information suggests it won't be out of patent until 2027. No generics for a while, I'm afraid.

Did you first try Warfarin and fail with it? (It's a bit more hassle with the blood testing, but it's a lot, lot cheaper.) If not, it's an option to discuss with your doctor.

Thanks for your advice. Getting a UK repeat prescription is no problem, it is whether the Uk prescription be recognised in Thailand. It is nice to know that it is available and I don't think there will be a generic as it is a new drug, the cost is the main concern as I got stung in Spain for 95 Euros for a months supply! I suppose there will be a doctor willing to write a prescription in Phuket but would be nice to know how much? Once again thanks for your help.

Bring your green shield stamps as well.

Yes, do. Not only will the drug be expensive here (figure same cost as in Europe please a little extra for its import) but it will be hard to get outside of a hospital. In practice, category "S" drugs are usually only found in hospital pharmacies. So you are looking ta not only the drug cost but the hospital mark up and doctor fee for consultation.

While warfarin is a hassle in terms of narrow therapeutic range (requiring frequent blood monitoring) it is dirt cheap and readily available over the counter.

Don't forget to factor into your thinking the cost of hospital care should you have further incidents, or suffer complications from the treatment (or have something unrelated occur, such as an accident). As I assume you know, you are at risk of a full stroke. Costs for that will be considerable here and you would likely nto be in shape to fly home.

Unless you already have a private insurance policy, you will not now be able to get one that does nto exclude stroke.

Do not even consider Warfarin unless specifically advised to do so by your European doctor.

You can of course ask the doctor if Warfarin would be a suitable alternative but be aware that frequent blood tests and dosage changes are involved before a "stable state" is achieved and even then regular blood tests are still required.

A UK prescription will not be accepted in Thailand. You should obtain a transcript of your medical history and current treatment before returning to Thailand.

You are allowed to bring 30 days worth of prescribed medication into Thailand if it is in its original packaging and labelled with your personal details.

Take heed of Sheryl's comments about health insurance.

Edited by nowretired

if you were to go on warfarin, you can find test machines and test strips on ebay at a reasonable price.

i am on warfarin and test weekly.

Can you tell us a bit more about the machines and how accurate they are. I use pradaxa so i don't need to line up for blood tests but if the machines are accurate it may be feasible to go back to warfarin .

• 1 month later...

Yes, technically not. Though if sent by regular mail (no courier) and if small quanitity it may often gets through.

It is legal to bring it in with you when you come. Technically only a 30 day supply but they aren't usually rigid on that point as long as it's not a suitcase full.