My Work Permit expired, where to go?

My Work Permit expired, so I need to leave the country, in order to apply again, what is the best place to go in order to get it done?

For specific reasons I am looking at Hong Kong, and Myanmar as first choices, is the Thai Embassies any good over there, or are they well known for denying work permits?

Any other place that is good, Singapore?

I am a EU citizen.

Work permits are issued inside Thailand by the labour office. You will need a non-immigrant ( normally non-B ) visa to get a work permit, but can apply for one before leaving the country to get your visa and use the work permit application letter to add to the rest of the documentation when applying.

Once you have your visa, and you meet all the criterias, you will be issued with your work permit.

• Like 1

Work permits are issued inside Thailand by the labour office. You will need a non-immigrant ( normally non-B ) visa to get a work permit, but can apply for one before leaving the country to get your visa and use the work permit application letter to add to the rest of the documentation when applying.

Once you have your visa, and you meet all the criterias, you will be issued with your work permit.

I already have the B Visa, and have been working here for many years, and have been renewed my work permit many times already, but due to certain stupid circumstances, I missed the due date so have to do it all over again.

But I already have the B visa, but the lady at immigration talked to my thai admin, and told her, I needed to leave the country, and re entry, even though I already have a B Visa. Not sure why.

or is it that the B Visa got cancelled because my work permit expired, so I need to re apply for that as well!?

I already have the B Visa, and have been working here for many years, and have been renewed my work permit many times already, but due to certain stupid circumstances, I missed the due date so have to do it all over again.

But I already have the B visa, but the lady at immigration talked to my thai admin, and told her, I needed to leave the country, and re entry, even though I already have a B Visa. Not sure why.

or is it that the B Visa got cancelled because my work permit expired, so I need to re apply for that as well!?

You say you have been here many years ?

Do you have a "Visa" or an extension of stay based on working ?

Do you have to leave the country every 90 days or do you report to immigration every 90 days?

Edited by nowretired

Do you have to leave the country every 90 days or do you report to immigration every 90 days?

Extension of stay, a permit to stay, never have to leave the country usually.

Not sure whey your office contacted immigration about your work permit. It is of no concern to them.

Unless you extension is ending before you can renew your work permit I see no reason for you to leave the country for a non-b visa.

Extension of stay, a permit to stay, never have to leave the country usually.

It sounds as though your WP expired and as a result you were not able to get another extension of stay (which is not a visa.)

I believe you have been told you will need to obtain another Visa with paperwork supplied by your employer.

Until you have a visa you will not be able to get a work permit.

Not sure whey your office contacted immigration about your work permit. It is of no concern to them.

Unless you extension is ending before you can renew your work permit I see no reason for you to leave the country for a non-b visa.

It's a Catch 22 WP is expired, thus Extension of Permission to Stay is invalidated - no current WP thus the OP cannot re-apply for an extension.

OP needs to start from scratch:

1) Employer successfully files a WP1 application (worst case WP3 if labour know the extension is done).

2) OP goes to a Thai Consular Facility to apply for a Single Entry 90 Day Non Immigrant 'B' Visa.

3) OP re-enters Thailand and gets a 90 day non 'b' entry stamp.

4) Employer/OP applies to collect WP.

4) WP is issued and 30/45 days before expiry the OP files for a One year Extension based on working in the Kingdom of Thailand.

or

The OP leaves Thailand, gets some other kind of entry than a non 'b', then applies inside of Thailand at certain Immigration offices that are able to issue a non 'b' visa based on the TM 87 process providing the employee is eligible for a one year extension based on working in Thailand.

I could be like this, my thai staff contacted labor department to renew or get a new work permit, but they denied her because I had only 2 months left on my VISA, and they told me I needed to renew my VISA first.

Or the more plausible version, if I understood my Thai Staff correctly, because my work permit had expired, my B Visa automatically got cancelled.

It's a Catch 22 WP is expired, thus Extension of Permission to Stay is invalidated - no current WP thus the OP cannot re-apply for an extension.

1) Employer successfully files a WP1 application (worst case WP3 if labour know the extension is done).

2) OP goes to a Thai Consular Facility to apply for a Single Entry 90 Day Non Immigrant 'B' Visa.

4) WP is issued and 30/45 days before expiry the OP files for a One year Extension based on working in the Kingdom of Thailand.

or

The OP leaves Thailand, gets some other kind of entry than a non 'b', then applies inside of Thailand at certain Immigration offices that are able to issue a non 'b' visa based on the TM 87 process providing the employee is eligible for a one year extension based on working in Thailand.

Thanks, so following the second example, I could go outside of Thailand, and apply for a tourist VISA, then re enter Thailand, and then get a B VISA? Where is this "certain immigration office, here in Bangkok, I assume the regular main one in Cheng Wattana is ok?

What is required of me to be "eligible" for a one year VISA? It would be up to the employer, yes? As long as I do not do any work prohibited by foreigners such as drive taxi etc...

or

Thanks, so following the second example, I could go outside of Thailand, and apply for a tourist VISA, then re enter Thailand, and then get a B VISA? Where is this "certain immigration office, here in Bangkok, I assume the regular main one in Cheng Wattana is ok?

What is required of me to be "eligible" for a one year VISA? It would be up to the employer, yes? As long as I do not do any work prohibited by foreigners such as drive taxi etc...

or

Yes, but you must meet all Immigration's criteriae for an Extension of Permission to Stay under National Police Order 327/2557 Case 2.1

As regards the TM 87 process, where is you local Immigration Office?

Either way your employer needs to file your WP application a.s.a.p. as you cannot legally work or get a non 'b' visa/plus get the WP issued until this issue is resolved.

or

Yes, but you must meet all Immigration's criteriae for an Extension of Permission to Stay under National Police Order 327/2557 Case 2.1

Either way your employer needs to file your WP application a.s.a.p. as you cannot legally work or get a non 'b' visa/plus get the WP issued until this issue is resolved.

It's in Cheng Wattana, what are the criteria?

Another thing, will there be problem as I received a salary, meaning that I worked without a WP (of course unintentionally, and subsequently without a valid B VISA) for 2 months?

And what about problems getting a B VISA from a thai embassy outside of Thailand, will they me questioning, have me pay late payment fees, or even deny me a B Visa because of all of this?

And will I have problems when I return to Thailand with Immigration at the airport?

Edited by quantumpizza

Another thing, will there be problem as I received a salary, meaning that I worked without a WP (of course unintentionally, and subsequently without a valid B VISA) for 2 months?

And what about problems getting a B VISA from a thai embassy outside of Thailand, will they me questioning, have me pay late payment fees, or even deny me a B Visa because of all of this?

And will I have problems when I return to Thailand with Immigration at the airport?

Criteriae for TM87 application success = Eligibility under National Police Order 327/2557 Case 2.1; you apply at Chaeng Wattana.

Thai Consular Facilities will be purely interested in your having a Letter of Approval from Labour issued against a successful Work permit Application by your employer plus all the other required papers - see link below, they do not collect fines.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

No issues with immigration on your return with a valid Single Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa.

However you could be asked some difficult questions if you try to re-enter via visa exempt, being as you still remain employed in Thailand!

Criteriae for TM87 application success = Eligibility under National Police Order 327/2557 Case 2.1; you apply at Chaeng Wattana.

Thai Consular Facilities will be purely interested in your having a Letter of Approval from Labour issued against a successful Work permit Application by your employer plus all the other required papers - see link below, they do not collect fines.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

No issues with immigration on your return with a valid Single Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa.

However you could be asked some difficult questions if you try to re-enter via visa exempt, being as you still remain employed in Thailand!

Thanks

What do you mean by VISA exempt? Now you got me a little worried, not sure I understand, how should I avoid getting a visa exempt?

Edited by quantumpizza

Thanks

What do you mean by VISA exempt? Now you got me a little worried, not sure I understand, how should I avoid getting a visa exempt?

If as an EU Citizen you were to present for entry at the Thai border without any valid visa, then in theory you would be eligible for a visa exempt 15 or 30 day entry depending on whether your mother country was G7 or not.

Thanks

If as an EU Citizen you were to present for entry at the Thai border without any valid visa, then in theory you would be eligible for a visa exempt 15 or 30 day entry depending on whether your mother country was G7 or not.

Ok, but I am going to go outside of the country, maybe Malaysia is good for getting a B visa (or some other country is better)? And my aim will be to get a valid b visa before re enter Thailand. So then I would think it would be no problem.

My country is not a part of G7, so what would happen if I did not get a B visa in, lets say Malayisa?

Out of curiosity, if I were eligible for a Exempt Visa status, why would they ask difficult questions? I tell them like it is, my WP expired, I traveled to Malayisa, but got denied a B Visa, that is why I am on Visa exempt status. Its pretty straight forward.

Edited by quantumpizza