Dom Muang Security

dcsw53

I have just flown out from DM, having dropped my kids at Suvarnabhumi for their flight.

At Suvarnabhumi there is obvious police security, plenty patrolling. AT DM the security landslide is terrifying. A woman opposite me walked away leaving her bag ( Chinese ). I stooped her and told them to take it with her, no luck. She was going to the WC for 5 minutes.

Landslide the place is full of people dumping bags on seats and wandering off. Nobody doing anything about it. I stopped and asked the very few police I saw what they were doing, " what's the issue ? Of course people leave bags lying around ".

Don't the police read the newspapers here, there was an incident recently they should have seen.

Anyway no bombs had gone off before I left, so I guess that is a victory for today. Anyone planning your next atrocity, DM is the easiest target in Asia.

Did you also notice that the final check at the departure gate is a joke? I recently brought this to the attention of a senior executive of one of the budget airlines:

- I asked if they teach their staff to check both the names on the passport / ID card against the boarding pass and also check the photo*.

- Her reply: that's just too serious. It's not needed, and the staff don't have time. It's already check at the check-in desk so no need to do it agin.

- I challenged that it's already done properly at the check-in desk, she insisted it's done correctly. In fact it's not.

- I asked if she knew the Thai law and the international aviation laws on this same point. Her answer was NO, what for, this is Thailand.

- I asked if she was aware of the ongoing problems with other countries refusing to allow many flights departing from Thailand to land in their countries.

- Her response, there is no such problem.

*Fairly recently there was an incident at a Chiang Mai departure gate, an elderly Thai female passenger asked the gate girl 'why aren't you checking the photo'. The airline staff response. 'Oh if your not happy with your photo then you have to take care of that yourself'.

Edited by scorecard

Must admit, i didn't notice much difference in the security level at DM. However, leaving Phitsanulok on Tuesday morning, the air force were displaying their 50 cal machine guns outside, no parking in front of the terminal and search (and attack) dogs inside and outside the terminal.

Maybe just caught them at a bad time for travelling or they were expecting someone high coming in.

These things comes and goes all over the world it seems. After the bombing in Madrid Airport many years ago, It became a world wide trend at airports to confiscate baggage left alone, open it in a bomb safe area or require you to open it yourself all the while the guards was on the ready to shoot you with their automatic rifles if something suspicious should reveal itself.

Then it kind of trickled away in many airports when no new bombs went of in any other airport. Although it is still today enforced in most western countries airports like in Europe and USA, the security gradually has become quiet lax in many other airports (read shit hole countries) around the world.

Like the bombing i Bkk, it will not take long until security trickles away in its usual manner because no new bombs went of. Its just human nature to be stupid.

These things comes and goes all over the world it seems. After the bombing in Madrid Airport many years ago, It became a world wide trend at airports to confiscate baggage left alone, open it in a bomb safe area or require you to open it yourself all the while the guards was on the ready to shoot you with their automatic rifles if something suspicious should reveal itself.

Then it kind of trickled away in many airports when no new bombs went of in any other airport. Although it is still today enforced in most western countries airports like in Europe and USA, the security gradually has become quiet lax in many other airports (read shit hole countries) around the world.

Like the bombing i Bkk, it will not take long until security trickles away in its usual manner because no new bombs went of. Its just human nature to be stupid.

????

You can't have security....Load a bomb in bus, bring 20 liter diesel into the hotel, it is impossible to check everything everywhere.

The Madrid bombing was just outside a major railway station, and now all passengers have to put their bags through an x-ray machine before gaining access to the platform area.

....are you trying to suggest that people should actually do the job that they are paid to do....

...I'm sure that that is just as scary a notion to them.....

annoying the customer who pay your salary with pointless regulations is normally not a good idea.

The Madrid bombing was just outside a major railway station, and now all passengers have to put their bags through an x-ray machine before gaining access to the platform area.

My wife flew from Udon last weekend, she put her check in baggage through the scanner, found that the check i desk was not yet open, took her bags out of the security area, had a coffee, and walked back into the departure area, without having her bags re-checked. She thought it was OK as well. I did not. Security officials sitting on the scanner, but not monitoring walk in passengers.

My wife flew from Udon last weekend, she put her check in baggage through the scanner, found that the check i desk was not yet open, took her bags out of the security area, had a coffee, and walked back into the departure area, without having her bags re-checked. She thought it was OK as well. I did not. Security officials sitting on the scanner, but not monitoring walk in passengers.

Of course it is OK....Why not. Do you suspect your wife is a terrorist? Did she have a bomb in her baggage?

Of course it is OK....Why not. Do you suspect your wife is a terrorist? Did she have a bomb in her baggage?

What a strange reaction, the point I was making is about general airport security, using my own experience as an example, there is little point in having scanner when you can simply bypass them, as we did. I may be slightly paranoid about security, but 6 years working in Northern Ireland, during "the troubles" will do that to you.

Dom Meuang airport as described in the headline I have not heard of. I usually go to Don Meuang airport which must be nearby and that is in another world far removed from good security and proper order. One only has to go to the early morning check-in for the Air Asia flights to get a feel for the chaos of the place. It is a mind numbing experience.

US TSA 2014 budget was 7.39 billion

The President has requested a budget of 41.2 billion for Homeland Security for 2016

What do you think the Thai equivalents are?

How many burglaries were in your neighborhood last year? What did your risk/threat assessment reveal? How much of your annual budget have you invested in residential security? Did you put put 40%, 50%, 60% aside? How much is enough? When will you feel safe? How many intruders were thwarted by your efforts? How many were not? What were your losses? Are these easy questions? Maybe when YOU run a government they will be.

Security costs money.

Fear is free.

I recently took a bottle of water through security. I forgot it was in my bag and security said nothing.

It was not at DM, but still in Asia.

I took a fully loaded magazine of 15 rounds of 9mm ammo from NY to Florida via plane. I forgot it was in MY bag and security said nothing.

Stop Asia bashing.

Thats the scary thing about the terror industry. The budgets are so high the vested interests have a lot to loose if everything simmered down a few notches. They are financially motivated to keep everyone more scared so they can keep us more safe. The FBI, Homeland Security etc are always busting terror plots in the USA. Doing a good job keeping everyone safe but when you look at the details the "plot" was made up by the FBI in their own offices. They then go out and find some retard and entrap them in the plot. They then bust this retard for terrorism and blow their own trumpets about preventing some major terrorist threat. Its never ending.

I recently took a bottle of water through security. I forgot it was in my bag and security said nothing.

I took a fully loaded magazine of 15 rounds of 9mm ammo from NY to Florida via plane. I forgot it was in MY bag and security said nothing.

Stop Asia bashing.

Why would they say anything if you had no firearm to put the ammo in?

Stop Asia bashing.

In your carry on luggage?

Stop Asia bashing.

I doubt that, but liquids over 100 ml is banned as far as I know, so it should have been flagged all over the world, not only in Asia.