Anti-Yingluck govt protest: Big C grenade attackers jailed for life

webfact

Big C grenade attackers jailed for life

42-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Four men who were responsible for the grenade attacks at the Ratchaprasong shopping centre during the anti-government protests by the People’s Democratic Reform Committee in February last year were on Friday sentenced to life imprisonment by the Bangkok South Criminal Court.

The four defendants namely Chatchawan Prabbamrung, Thaweechai Wichakham, Sunthorn Phipuannok and Somsri Marith were found guilty by the court for firing M79 grenades which smashed in front of Big C department store’s Rajdamri branch, killing three people, including two kids, and wounding several others.

The four defendants pleaded guilty during the police interrogation.

The court first condemned all of them to death but commuted their sentence by one-thirds to life as a benefit of their confession. The court ordered them to pay 540,000 baht in compensation to the injured.

The defendants’ lawyer said that he would appeal the verdict to the Appeals Court.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/big-c-grenade-attackers-jailed-for-life

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-04

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this a bit strange - they confessed to doing it but are appealing the verdict of guilty

"The court first condemned all of them to death but commuted their sentence by one-thirds to life as a benefit of their confession.

The defendants’ lawyer said that he would appeal the verdict to the Appeals Court."

Maybe they want the death sentence to stand

Also no mention of who paid them to do this and who supplied the grenade launcher

This has some more info:

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1405667752&section=11&typecate=06

I don't know why the court commuted the death penalty. They killed kids, innocent little ones, with a blatant act of disregard for human life. There is no place in society, or prison, for people like this. Remove them permanently.

This has some more info:

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1405667752&section=11&typecate=06

I don't know why the court commuted the death penalty. They killed kids, innocent little ones, with a blatant act of disregard for human life. There is no place in society, or prison, for people like this. Remove them permanently.

No surprise that the redshirts denied it.. but the guys themselves confessed being redshirts. Everyone with half a brain knew these attacks were not false flag operations.

obviously the lawyer can see more money in this if he appeals, they admit guilt and the lawyer thinks the guilty verdict is unfair, what a joke. Wonder if the ones that organized it will be found or even coughed up.

BANGKOK: -- Four men who were responsible for the grenade attacks at the Ratchaprasong shopping centre during the anti-government protests by the Peoples Democratic Reform Committee in February last year were on Friday sentenced to life imprisonment by the Bangkok South Criminal Court.

I find this hard to believe, after reading all the claptrap from Thaksin lovers on the forum, I was positive that they bombed themselves. You know, agent provocateurs and the rest of that crap.

Four get life imprisonment for firing M79 to PDRC rally site
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court Friday sentenced four men to life imprisonment for firing an M79 grenade into a rally site of the People's Democratic Reform Committee at the Ratchaprsong Intersection in 2014.

The court found Thaweechai Wichakham, 39, Sunthorn Phipuannok, 49, Somsri Marit, 40 and Chatchawal Prabbamrung, 45, guilty of launching M79 attack on February 23 2014.

The grenade landed at bus stop in front of Big C Ratchadamri, killing two children and an adult and injured 21 others people.

The court initially sentenced the four to death but commuted the sentence by one third on ground that they confessed during interrogation by police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Four-get-life-imprisonment-for-firing-M79-to-PDRC--30268114.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-04

This has some more info:

No surprise that the redshirts denied it.. but the guys themselves confessed being redshirts. Everyone with half a brain knew these attacks were not false flag operations.

Huh? Anti Yingluk protests it says? Now I am confused.

By all means string the SOBs up, but they do not define the reds any more than Suthep defines the yellows.

I would make that defense too if it came out that my team was so bad..

Just like there was no cheering after hearing of the killing in Trad during a redshirt meeting.. guess those were also not defining the redshirts at their meeting ?

Yes they were shut down by Tida.. probably because of the bad press that would come from it.

By all means string the SOBs up, but they do not define the reds any more than Suthep defines the yellows.

Just like there was no cheering after hearing of the killing in Trad during a redshirt meeting.. guess those were also not defining the redshirts at their meeting ?

Yes they were shut down by Tida.. probably because of the bad press that would come from it.

Actually, I don't have a team just like yourself, right?

True.. but we both have a preference.. and probably both have things we don't condone.

True.. but we both have a preference.. and probably both have things we don't condone.

I think both sides are equally hideous. The main difference is that one side was elected and the other elected themselves.

Good. More vermin and scum behind bars.

And make sure they end up in a jail with a high yellow shirt population.

I doubt such a jail exists.

You are probably right - change it to a jail with a high polutation of people against what they did.

I think both sides are equally hideous. The main difference is that one side was elected and the other elected themselves.

I think both sides have their bad side but one of the two sides is just more violent as the other. And I prefer them both not to shut down the country or city.

I think both sides have their bad side but one of the two sides is just more violent as the other. And I prefer them both not to shut down the country or city.

You may be right that there have been more violence perpetrated by people associated with the red shirts, but removing a legally elected government and installing a junta really does invite the crazies out of the wood work.

You may be right that there have been more violence perpetrated by people associated with the red shirts, but removing a legally elected government and installing a junta really does invite the crazies out of the wood work.

Sure but the strange thing is... these bombings started before the coup, and actually made it happen. Without this violence there would not have been a coup. That was why so many red believers said these were false flag operations.

Sure but the strange thing is... these bombings started before the coup, and actually made it happen. Without this violence there would not have been a coup. That was why so many red believers said these were false flag operations.

Which coup are you talking about? Regarding your assertion that without violence there would not have been a coup I do not agree. The upcoming transition made it absolutely imperative for the junta to be in control, and the whole situation was beautifully orchestrated by the current rulers and their lap dogs, and unwittingly assisted by the bumbling idiots in the previous administration..

Please don't tell me you even find it remotely likely that there will be an election before the transition has been completed to their satisfaction?

Everyone keeps saying violent red shirts, but more red shirts have been killed in this dispute. I'm happy that these guys got life, but let's keep some perspective and not choose to rah rah for one side or the other.

Which coup are you talking about? Regarding your assertion that without violence there would not have been a coup I do not agree. The upcoming transition made it absolutely imperative for the junta to be in control, and the whole situation was beautifully orchestrated by the current rulers and their lap dogs, and unwittingly assisted by the bumbling idiots in the previous administration..

Please don't tell me you even find it remotely likely that there will be an election before the transition has been completed to their satisfaction?

So you say it would have happened even if there was no violence... and that the previous government was so stupid to give them a good excuse.

Kinda hard to prove either way. Not saying you are not right.. but the thing that fired it up was the Amnesty of Thaksin.. how could the army have foreseen that. Do you think it was all good luck ?

What you are suggesting is that without this all they would have still done it.

Not 100% convinced myself.. but I do get the important event your hinting at

i hope this is not the end of this. They still need to identify the master mind and financier of this evil deed.

Where did the RPG come from?

Until the top people that orchestrated this heinous act are convicted and sentenced there is no justice or safety for society as these scum bags will likely hire more stooges like these again in the near future when they are not getting their political way.

I would be willing to bet whoever did mastermind this was also responsible for many of the other violent crimes that were going on around that time.