Visit to the UK - requirements

I left Thailand after 12 years to return to the UK so that my daughter would get a British Education. My Thai wife and I then divorced. Our daughter has UK citizenship but my step daughter (who is Thai and now at university in Malaysia) wishes to visit for a 2 week holiday during her spring break. I am prepared to pay for her air fare and all other expenses for her visit.

Could someone please advise me what she needs to do to obtain the necessary entry documentation for the UK. Also how much this will cost, and can I pay from here for her?

Thank you.

The visa application can be done online, and paid for online. An appointment for processing at the Border Agency can also be booked at the same time.

However she will need to print out the completed application and hand it in for processing together with supporting documents and then biometrics will betaken at the same time.

Full information as to documents, appropriate visa type etc are all available via The British Embassy website and links contained therein.

"she will need to submit hard copies of your bank statements". This can include copies printed from your online banking facility, but make sure that your name and account number are visible on the prints.

You can state that you have assisted in the preparation of the application as her sponsor and in that event the covering letter summarising the strengths of the claim and referring to the solidity of your resources to finance the visit can be from you (styled perhaps as a letter of invitation) so that she does not need to prepare her own case in letter form. I have done this succesfully for several visits of my Thai family (redacted version of a letter attached to give you some ideas but obviously it needs tailoring to your circumstances).

If your stepdaughter is under 18 she will also need to include the written consent of her mother (unless you are her sole legal guardian, which seems unlikely from how you style her): best to also get that on the same sheet as a signed copy of the mother's ID card.

You will have to coach your stepdaughter on the contents of the application so that she is not fazed if and when the immigration officer starts asking pointed questions

Sponsor letter for Ann and Kat UK Visa 2012 REDACTED VERSION.doc