Chong Chom to SR 'new' bus service? Update.

IsaanAndy

Just a heads up on my experience yesterday. Next week I am travelling to Cambo for a week.

I saw the 'new' bus service advertised by Saren Travel in Surin from Chong Chom to Siem Reap and that made my plans much easier.

Yesterday I went to Saren Travel to pay for my ticket.

I had oringinally decided to go on the service departing CC at 0930 but was informed by the staff that was the old timetable and that the bus now left at 0800. The timeable was removed from the counter and a different one produced. The next one was at 1400 and would be too late for me to get to Battambang at a reasonable hour.

Now as this "new service' was advertised as only starting on the 27th August, I was some what surprised that the published timetable was 'old'.

Also my return from SR to CC was going to be the 0500 departing service this is now 0600 which I booked on.

I purchased my tickets and returned home.

So it would appear that the 'new service' timetable has been scrapped or the Travel Agency are pushing another bus company service, just be aware that although the new service timetable is still on Saren Travels FB page and on the counter in the office they are not offering tickets for it, at least in my experience.

I shall report on the actual travel experience upon my return from Cambo.

Dunno about others Kwaibah, but personally speaking I can well afford a taxi, but sometimes there is just something apealling about travelling old-style, particularly now I have time. Same as hotels - had my fill of Sofitels and Orientals in my working lifetime - sometimes it's nice to meet real people and go back-packer. You don't have to be a cheap charlie to travel cheap and dirty at times. Nothing wrong with having to be careful with dosh either.

Chacun a son gout

Dunno about others Kwaibah, but personally speaking I can well afford a taxi, but sometimes there is just something apealling about travelling old-style, particularly now I have time. Same as hotels - had my fill of Sofitels and Orientals in my working lifetime - sometimes it's nice to meet real people and go back-packer. You don't have to be a cheap charlie to travel cheap and dirty at times. Nothing wrong with having to be careful with dosh either.

Chacun a son gout

I don't thank I would call this new bus service "old style". Have you seen the busses? If you want "old style" drop down to the bus station in O'Smach and get a 9 passenger van for only 200 baht to Kampong Chhang or 250 baht all the way to Phom Penh. BTW that van can have as many as 15 people in it and chickens hanging from the back.tongue.png

I'd need a team of girls in PP waiting to massage the bits that need massaging after a van ride like, particularly given the state of the road SR to PP!!

This van does not go to SR. It goes 460km to KC then another 90km to PP. Still a cramped ride with the chickens.

Ahhh, yes the joys of International travel in SE Asia, what's in a time table anyway?

Time is of no essence to me and I am happy to save whatever money I would pay for a taxi to increase my entertainment budget. Each to their own.

More than happy to Guinea Piggy it for the rest of you guys.

Back on the 15th so will post again then.

Toodle pip ...

I'd need a team of girls in PP waiting to massage the bits that need massaging after a van ride like, particularly given the state of the road SR to PP!!

This van does not go to SR. It goes 460km to KC then another 90km to PP. Still a cramped ride with the chickens.

That's worth knowing - so the van heads down towards SR then does a left towards Poipet and a right down through Battambang does it? Always fancied giving Battambang a brief stopover visit sometime. Is the road SR to Battambang, Kamphong Cham then PP better than the dreadful (still) SR to PP via Kamphong Thom?

That's worth knowing - so the van heads down towards SR then does a left towards Poipet and a right down through Battambang does it? Always fancied giving Battambang a brief stopover visit sometime. Is the road SR to Battambang, Kamphong Cham then PP better than the dreadful (still) SR to PP via Kamphong Thom?

From O'Smach, National Highway 68 down to Saraong at Samrong 68 does due a left in town but 68 still goes south where it meets up with National Highway 6 at Kralanh. Go left or east and go to SR. Go right or west 50 km turn left or south at Krong Serei Saophon and pickup AH1 or National Highway 5 and head to Kampong Chhang and Phnom Penh. That route is far better than going the other way. About 520 km O'Smach to PP and only 250 baht.

Edited by khwaibah

The SR to PP road is promised to be reconstructed - but that has been the case for the 8+ years I've travelled it and it was at it's worst the last time I travelled it 10 months ago. Signs of construction were everywhere but nothing of substance and let trade go hang.

Typical of his Khmer Rouge provenance Hun Sen is a converted poor peasant with no idea of modern economics and how to accelerate growth.