Nongprue offers animal sterilizations

Rimmer

Nongprue offers animal sterilizations

n2dogs.jpg

PATTAYA:--Nongprue Sub-district took steps to reduce the number of stray dogs by offering free sterilizations to local pet owners.

Mayor Mai Chaiyanit presided over the Aug. 20 event at Boonsamphan Temple on Soi Khao Noi supported by veterinarians from Banglamung, Sattahip and Chonburi.

The services included sterilization shots and vaccine jabs for cats and dogs, including any stray animals brought to the shelter.

The project not only was launched to cut the number of stray animals, but raise awareness among residents about the need to spay and neuter their dogs and cats.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/nongprue-offers-animal-sterilizations-50848#sthash.FSDrlea4.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-09-05 footer_n.gif

Sterilization shots ? What are they talking about? Spay and nueter are the only methods for dogs and cats.

I only heard of these injections recently from my landlord, who had his cats spayed using injections.

He asked me what I did for my cats (he was thinking that they weren't fixed), and he was shocked when I told him that it had been done surgically.

The injections aren't permanent, apparently. Here's a link, looks like they are giving this poor cat a shot right in the hoo-hoo.

http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/reprod/petpop/nonsurg.html

For sure, some serious animal population control is needed. I love cats and dogs, but it's cruel to not do something about their numbers.

A step in the right direction, but I agree with previous replies that something really needs to be done about the soi dog population. As euthanasia seems to be a difficult subject in Thailand, neutering should be implemented throughout the Kingdom on any dogs that are not kept inside somebody's property boundary to reduce the dog population organically.

With sterilization shot they probably mean only the shot for the necessary anesthesia.

Actually this offer is a great move by the mayor. To make the effort lasting all Thailand should do an effort and offer free sterilization for stray animals at the same time.

Sterilization shots ? What are they talking about? Spay and nueter are the only methods for dogs and cats.

The animals are given a chemical cocktail that stops them from coming on heat

It lasts for 12 months

Not permanent but at least it does help reduce the number of stray animals