I love Pattaya because...

dennis123

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Pattaya because it gentrifies my decision to live in Sattahip ....without completely loosing access to the basics of western living :-)

I just had to Google the word 'gentrifies' to know what you mean, I agree that it's more of a normal city, but most of it looks like a ghetto, at least the parts that I've seen when I drove around there.

If you talk about middle class I think Bang Saen would fit much better, Sattahip definitely not. I think even Bang Saray has more class than Sattahip.

Because in Pattaya you can chill out or you can get crazy. Up to you!!

SL

That sums it up pretty much yes.

Partying, drinking, screwing around, all nice and well but once you do it long enough you naturally slow down, at least that's the case with me.

Pattaya is extremely suitable for a decent normal live, lots of nice restaurants, markets, shopping malls, lots of non sexual entertainment (cinema, shows, live music, jetskis, parasaling you name it),

Bang Saen is only 45 minutes away, Sai Kaeo beach maybe 20 minutes, then we have Koh Larn, Koh Samet for a nice short island break and U TaPao is only 30 minutes driving from here.

So yeah even when not going out like crazy there are plenty of enjoyable things to do.

I love Pattaya because it gentrifies my decision to live in Sattahip ....without completely loosing access to the basics of western living :-)

I just had to Google the word 'gentrifies' to know what you mean, I agree that it's more of a normal city, but most of it looks like a ghetto, at least the parts that I've seen when I drove around there.

If you talk about middle class I think Bang Saen would fit much better, Sattahip definitely not. I think even Bang Saray has more class than Sattahip.

You can take your pick with the way the postal addresses are detailed here - Najomtein, Sattahip, Chonburi (being the postal address) but more Bang Saray / Silver Lake precinct - Somchai's answer to God's own country for me!!!

because its the feeling of personal freedom,you can relax and enjoy all the positive aspects.Every day. Hard to explain that to someone who works 48 weeks a year in Europe and come here for two weeks.

Of course it's hard to explain to someone that doesn't have the funds to stay here all year long.

You can take your pick with the way the postal addresses are detailed here - Najomtein, Sattahip, Chonburi (being the postal address) but more Bang Saray / Silver Lake precinct - Somchai's answer to God's own country for me!!!

Gotcha, I meant Sattahip city.

because: Although living on low pension - I HAVE THE CHOICE : To Join ( the parade ). OR

NOT To Join ( the madness ) - .. that is called Pattaya the Sewer. by some of my friends .....

Living right in the CENTER , I can WALK EVERYWHERE IN ALL DIRECTION , Therefore

NOT a victim of the NO METER TAXI MAFIA plus during daytime / evening PLENTY OF

songthaews at B. 10.- to. 20.- p/person. Cheap food at the Markets , not forgetting Soi-6

when a certain type of hunger exists ....

because: Although living on low pension - I HAVE THE CHOICE : To Join ( the parade ). OR

NOT To Join ( the madness ) - .. that is called Pattaya the Sewer. by some of my friends .....

Living right in the CENTER , I can WALK EVERYWHERE IN ALL DIRECTION , Therefore

NOT a victim of the NO METER TAXI MAFIA plus during daytime / evening PLENTY OF

songthaews at B. 10.- to. 20.- p/person. Cheap food at the Markets , not forgetting Soi-6

when a certain type of hunger exists ....

Soi 6 is past its sell buy date.

Very few good bars anymore, Bunch of idiot Farangs sitting out side most of them,

used to be one bar to just have a beer in with the lads the Jack tar bar, very good.

the rest was all girly bars, with cute one outside and darkened windows, look at it all now

lady boys accosting people walking down the street.

The girls that are there are 10-15kg over weight or more, and still stuffing there faces all day on that stool

the few good looking ones are right up themselves.

Total crap street now days, a shadow of what it was, 6-7 years ago

Apart from Saigon bar that's ok for an couple of beers.

I don't love pattaya for soi 6 now days,

Edited by onemorechang

I don't think people who come here for a short time can really chill out enough,or become integrated enough to see how good Pattaya can be.I think its cheap to live here,its not about money too much.

Depends on your needs, if you don't have a problem with a small non airconditioned room and spend a lot of time on the beach and don't go out much you can live relatively cheap yes, however if you wanted to stay a year you would still spend at the very least 300.000 baht. If I had to live like that for a year it would feel more like a punishment and if you explain it like that to foreigners who stay for only 2-3 weeks they would probably laugh and say they spend that in 2-3 weeks.

When i was young I always told myself, IF I make 1000 euro/month online I'd move to Koh Samui and live there, Now that I've grown older I wouldn't recommend people to go live in Pattaya with less than 2500 euro/month to spend (eg 100k baht), I'm not talking about retirees here btw, but relatively young people, say 30-50 that go on a sabbatical year.

100k might sound like a lot to you but it's gone before you can say oeh or aah, 25-30k for a condo, 10k for dinners, heck one crazy night / partying till the morning and a takeoff can easily set you back 10k in a single night. Take a trip to Koh Samet, go snorkling, party, hotel, 20k is gone before you know it.

For me that are some of the positive aspects of living in Pattaya, there are also other positive aspects that cost close to nothing of course, the sun, beach, Thai food from stalls/markets.

I don't know what chilling I have to do a year long with 25k/month to spend, I think I get bored to death.

Kudos for you that you can live for cheap and enjoy it, but I think most can't.

Good to see ALL Pattaya bashers out in forcegiggle.gif

I prefer Pattaya over Bangkok because

1. Cleaner air

2. Less traffic

3. Have the water, Ocean breeze

4.Too many choices for food

5. Local English papers and tv stations

6.Cheaper clubs

7. Cheaper girls

8. Cheaper shopping

9, Cheaper housing

10, No madness and no riots or protests

11. No flooding

I prefer Pattaya over Isaan because

1. Living in civilization

2. Working basic utilites

6. Actually have clubs

7. Actually have english speaking girls

8. Cheaper shopping

9, Housing with basic utilities and not in the middle of the jungle

11. No flooding

1. Cleaner air

2. Less traffic

6.Cheaper clubs

7. Cheaper girls

8. Cheaper shopping

9, Cheaper housing

11. No flooding

Bangkok is a hell and the heat proves it, people that say they prefer Bangkok over Pattaya are stuck their with a 9-5 job, so they just pretend they like it. If I had to choose between Bangkok or my home country I'd long be gone.

1. Cleaner air

2. Less traffic

6.Cheaper clubs

7. Cheaper girls

8. Cheaper shopping

9, Cheaper housing

11. No flooding

Bangkok is a hell and the heat proves it, people that say they prefer Bangkok over Pattaya are stuck their with a 9-5 job, so they just pretend they like it. If I had to choose between Bangkok or my home country I'd long be gone.

I lived in Bangkok for 6 years.

Yes the heat and dirt is a killer.

Take a walk outside for few hours, when you come home swipe inside your nose, you will find its black.

Also because of all the high rises, i found there is no air circulation, so i was frequently getting sick with a flu, and when i say frequently i mean like every 3 weeks or so.

When driving from BKK to Pattaya or vice versa, have a look at the sky, you would be shocked to see the change of color from grey to blue.

Admittedly, Pattaya has gotten worse in the past few years, but still by far better than Bangkok

Of course for working people, Bangkok is better as it has more jobs and higher salaries, but then also the cost of living is much higher

I totally agree it does depend on your needs.But to actually live in Pattaya I think you still need a balanced life style and you can have that here.Even young people cannot party hard every day.

There is something here for everyone.

. And compared to Europe its very cheap. Basically you can have a better home and a better lifestyle with more freedom than Europe.And by chilling out I mean time to think about enjoying life and being happy,rather than stuck in the rat race.I have seen many sunrises in Pattaya after a great night out.enjoyed every one of them,and never spent anything like 10k for the privilege.

But if that's what you want to spend then great,enjoy.And you will enjoy. The same as a guy with a different idea of life can enjoy immersing with the people of Pattaya and having a laugh and spend virtually nothing and still be happy. My point is its cheap to live here and its not about money too much.Regardless of your budget.You can be happier here for your money than Europe.

I love Pattaya because:

• I can get my navigationally challenged rear end to anywhere in the city for less than $3 USD (I live on the dark side) on a motorbike taxi 24 hours a day.
  • I have Thai friends that love to just go sit at the beach and do nothing with me.
  • Foot massage. There's just no where better for a foot massage.
  • Enough western comforts to keep me from being homesick but enough local things to keep me from feeling like I live in the west.
  • Margarita delivery to my door on demand. Ahhhhh...
  • Easy access to BKK.
  • The endless, entertaining people watching.
  • And finally, the look on my friend's faces when I take them to Walking Street on their first trip over. Priceless.

Four response from four different people:

1. I love pattaya because it is a long way from where I live. I hope tomorrow I don't get I love Phuket because.........
  2. The best thing about pattaya .was it was always a long long way from where I lived. biggrin.png
  3. I love it because it keeps all those people away from Bangkok.
  4. Hmmm .. I simply love the fact that Pattaya is a long way from where I live. I'm not a sex tourist so I don't need it.

I'd almost start to think there are some clever bots online capable of rephrasing the same thing.

It's clear you guys aren't too crazy about Pattaya, but still reading the Pattaya forum, missing something guys? Is the wife boring you? biggrin.png

I frequently comment without scrolling through the thread, and I guess I'm not the only one. Especially in response to this question, the mentality of some is not the sort of stuff I want to wade through.

You can go out in Pattaya for a night out and wear what you like and know you will get in everywhere.

Dancer # 9 at Electric Blue

Tuk Com

North Star Library

Cheap personal transportation.

Cheap reasonable quality clothes.

Excellent coverage of English football

Buffalo Market

Pizza Pizza

Soi 6

Queen Agogo

So after 5 years in BKK , 23 years in Phuket and 2 yrs. now in Pattaya , because of how greedy Phuket's People became , ie. Tuk-Tuks charging even locals 200-300B to go 1/2 a Kilometer or so on Patong beach ( I use a Wheelchair ) , years ago we gave 20B when Pattaya drivers were 10 baht....now about the same prices except when on Baht Bus Routes .

I wish I moved here 10 years ago , had done my DELI here instead , ah IF what a Gigantic word !

Phuket has lost its Charm so badly from my first Visit in 1985 and it's comradery , many guys still around but many more have left . I like the prices on renting here much better , except for the Landlords who charge 9 Baht a unit for Electricity they charge Tenants , usually Condos , but they fool people on Rent Price by taking a Electric Bill and almost tripling it ! A friend was paying 6-8 Thousand for his , what a rip and 20,000 rent !

Landlords will help be the destruction of Tourism here , if they are not regulated in some way. You rent a space for Business and you wind up working for the Landlord , not yourself !

Almost forget that yes, when I rented a condo at Jomtien beach condominium I was also charged 20k baht and 9 baht/unit for the electric, ending up with a bill of approx 27-28k/mo.

After I moved to Bang Saray, small house at the beach, 18k baht rent and my electric bill was 2k on average (used the airco a bit less as well).

However what I saved I spend on the purchase of a car + gasoline for very regular trips to Pattaya, living somewhere outside is nice, when you're married or retired or something lol, bad idea when being single.

1. Cleaner air

2. Less traffic

6.Cheaper clubs

7. Cheaper girls

8. Cheaper shopping

9, Cheaper housing

11. No flooding

I lived in Bangkok for 6 years.

Yes the heat and dirt is a killer.

Take a walk outside for few hours, when you come home swipe inside your nose, you will find its black.

Also because of all the high rises, i found there is no air circulation, so i was frequently getting sick with a flu, and when i say frequently i mean like every 3 weeks or so.

When driving from BKK to Pattaya or vice versa, have a look at the sky, you would be shocked to see the change of color from grey to blue.

Admittedly, Pattaya has gotten worse in the past few years, but still by far better than Bangkok

Of course for working people, Bangkok is better as it has more jobs and higher salaries, but then also the cost of living is much higher

Re inside your nose, don't read on if you are weak in the stomach.

In the dry season think about how much dog poo is left to dry and turn to powder to be blown about for you to breathe.

Re inside your nose, don't read on if you are weak in the stomach.

In the dry season think about how much dog poo is left to dry and turn to powder to be blown about for you to breathe.

I did not heed your warning. What has been read cannot be unread... Blech.

1. Cleaner air

2. Less traffic

6.Cheaper clubs

7. Cheaper girls

8. Cheaper shopping

9, Cheaper housing

11. No flooding

I love living in Bangkok. I don't have a job.

1. Cleaner air

2. Less traffic

6.Cheaper clubs

7. Cheaper girls

8. Cheaper shopping

9, Cheaper housing

11. No flooding

I love living in Bangkok. I don't have a job.

Crazy!