Online protected wildlife trader arrested

Lite Beer

Online protected wildlife trader arrested
The Sunday Nation September 6, 2015 1:00 am

BANGKOK: -- Police yesterday arrested a Thai man at Bangkok's Soi Charoen Nakhon 55 for allegedly selling protected wildlife via social media.

The suspect, Wisanu Reungchai-anukul, 30, was apprehend in possession of a palm civet, two bank account books and a cell phone following a one-month probe of online wildlife trading by Natural Resources and Environmental Crime Division police officers.

The suspect faces charges of having protected wildlife in his possession with intent to sell, an offence that carries a fine of up to Bt40,000 and/or up to four years in prison.

Wisanu told police that customers paid him in advance.

He said he delivered the animals, which he obtained from another online supplier, to customers by bus.

"I did the trading since March and would sell the animals at a starting price of Bt4,500," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Online-protected-wildlife-trader-arrested-30268228.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-06

Let's sell him to human traffickers so he knows how it feels. coffee1.gif

Let's hunt him, followed by hunting everyone who said to hunt. Then get everyone in the world arrested, starting with the traffickers will sold him to.... except me.

then i will be king!!!

What does one do with a palm civet? Is it a pet? Destined for the kitchen? Or are they sold to coffee growers?

I saw (what I think) was one on my soi last month...looked them up and they are common, ie not endangered, so why are they protected? And if they are protected, how do the coffee growers keep them?

What does one do with a palm civet? Is it a pet? Destined for the kitchen? Or are they sold to coffee growers?

I saw (what I think) was one on my soi last month...looked them up and they are common, ie not endangered, so why are they protected? And if they are protected, how do the coffee growers keep them?

I also looked it up before I saw your post. Probably just an unusual pet since having just one isn't going to turn into a commercial coffee enterprise.

Wikipedia says it is a CITES appendix III animal. Which, again per wikipedia, is:

Appendix III, about 170 species, are species that are listed after one member country has asked other CITES Parties for assistance in controlling trade in a species. The species are not necessarily threatened with extinction globally. In all member countries, trade in these species is only permitted with an appropriate export permit and a certificate of origin from the state of the member country who has listed the species

So, the law probably includes this list as well as the endangered ones. Also on wikipedia, it says Indonesia has quotas for pets and commercial numbers for coffee, which I guess is how they attempt to control that. But they're believed to be exceeded.

You can see many endangered animals every evening at Bangla road, Patong, where these criminals take pics of stupid tourists holding the animals ...

I happens openly in front of Tourist Police that as usual dont do anything when they "patrol" Bangla ...