Sound and heat proofing

Becker

I am rebuilding part of my house and I would also like to reduce outside noise coming into the bedroom as well as making it more energy friendly. There are adjoining rooms on three sides so I am looking for a sloution to heat and sound proof the inner roof as well as one wall with a large window.

Any suggestions would be most welcome (I live in Pattaya).

When I built a new place ....soundproofing was the number one objective ....mass is important!.....ie double paned windows (I put in custom 12mm double glazed windows as opposed to the standard 6-8mm glass) and double outside walls with insulation inside the walls.

With that in mind no matter how much you try to sound proof the walls your problem is going to be your ceiling........one suggestion would be to spray an acoustic sealant on the underside of the roof tiles (there is a contractor who does only this in Pattaya...advertises in the Bangkok post all the time) AND put a double sheet rock ceiling with insulation between for the bedroom you want soundproofed. Again when I built new I put in a double roof ......concrete slab with another roof (standard looking) over that AND a sheetrock ceiling with insulation above.

with all the above soundproofing done, an added bonus is the insulation effect as a by product.

As the prior poster indicated .....NOT cheap

Edited by beachproperty

Been in the building business for some 40 years and I have 2 comments:

1. NEVER insulate the underside of a roof, because you are creating a heat-trap. The part one SHOULD insulate, is the area over-top of the ceilings. This can be done very cheaply with fiberglass-sealed into metallic-plastic material; simply roll them out (over your ceiling) and make sure they fit snugly together.

2. Double-Glazing is pretty useless, as far as thermal insulation is concerned, when you open that door or window the thermal insulation value is gone. Also; as a Sound-Insulator, make sure that the 2 panes of glass are NOT of the same gauge (thickness), because if they are, they will 'transfer' the sound just as well as single glazing. Solution: Thermal Reducing Film for the temperature and Heavy (Anti-Sun/Radiation-Lined) curtains for windows & doors.

I am also in Pattaya; if you need any specific info., just send me a PM and I'll see if I can help you further.

coffee1.gif

• 2 months later...

Just one question why do they fit silver foil to the underside of roof tiles, thought it was to reflect the heat,

It reflects radiated energy - in this case the heat from the tiles. It is not insulation.

So is it advisable ?

Not as a retrofit but certainly for new build. Maybe IMHO will come along and comment further.