Win10 Disk Management and Explorer disk display problem

WorriedNoodle

Hi Guys,

Not sure if anyone can help, but my Win10 seems to display my hard disc and partitions erroneously?

I have 2 discs with the 2nd disc partitioned as E: and M: drives.

From the attached there are two problems?

1. Why does file explorer show TWO additional partitions (D: & I:) that don't exist? Indeed when I click on either these two drives Not available box shows up.

2. Why does disc management show the M: partition as TWO blocks when I might have expected only ONE block?

Appreciate any leads on this guys.

post-101664-0-94126300-1441601382_thumb.

post-101664-0-88497900-1441601404_thumb.

Hi Chicog,

Yes, I just figured out how to reboot in Safe Mode (using msconfig run command - not sure if there's another way?) with Win10 and problem #1 went away in safe mode, then reboot to normal and problem #1 gone.

Now I still have problem #2 with disk manager showing TWO M drives boxes of different sizes whereas table above it lists one drive as it should be. I wonder why there are two boxes in the graphic display below?

post-101664-0-44072900-1441609929_thumb.

I read something about a maximum of four partitions per volume, or was that four volumes per partition??? I would copy the stuff on the 14Gb M drive somewhere, delete that partition, add it to the bigger M drive, then restore all the copied stuff into the expanded M. As above, D looks dodgy - hope you have back-ups coz it's gotta go

Ok guys, thanks for all the helpful advice. I learned something about dynamic disks and volume slice which sounds plausible.

If I just changed drive letter it made no difference and the newly named drive still showed as two blocks in the graphic, so I deleted the volume and remade it and now I have one continuous block of M (Entertainment) drive shown in graphic.

Really appreciated the tips guys, thanks.

Edited by WorriedNoodle