Flying to Vietnam

DanceAllNight

I've done the same thing many times, Swampy and Dom Muang to both HCMC and Hanoi, including both of these cities within the last 3 months.

In every case I've had a return ticket back to Thailand, always Air Asia, but at the immigration office in both HCMC and Hanoi (where you convert on-line visa approval to a sticker) they have never asked any questions about return on onwards tickets and same at the actual passport desks.

Very last trip I travelled Swampy to Hanoi on JetStar Asia, who asked no questions whatever when I checked in at Swampy.

Now I have a question for you, please:

- In November in I will try the NokAir service from DM to HCMC and return.

- My time in Vietnam will be spent at a meeting in Vung Tau.

- Departure from HCMC is 9:30 in the morning, therefore 6:00 - 6:30 am check-in.

- I will travel back from Vung Tau back to HCMC early afternoon the previous day and I need a cheap safe hotel hopefully not far from HCMC airport.

- Any recommendations on this? Thanks.

I've done the same thing many times, Swampy and Dom Muang to both HCMC and Hanoi, including both of these cities within the last 3 months.

In every case I've had a return ticket back to Thailand, always Air Asia, but at the immigration office in both HCMC and Hanoi (where you convert on-line visa approval to a sticker) they have never asked any questions about return on onwards tickets and same at the actual passport desks.

Very last trip I travelled Swampy to Hanoi on JetStar Asia, who asked no questions whatever when I checked in at Swampy.

Now I have a question for you, please:

- In November in I will try the NokAir service from DM to HCMC and return.

- My time in Vietnam will be spent at a meeting in Vung Tau.

- Departure from HCMC is 9:30 in the morning, therefore 6:00 - 6:30 am check-in.

- I will travel back from Vung Tau back to HCMC early afternoon the previous day and I need a cheap safe hotel hopefully not far from HCMC airport.

- Any recommendations on this? Thanks.

Cosmopolitan hotel nice clean and near airport thumbsup.gif i get some discount booking thru Airasia Go. 1200b

Edited by itsmylife

Vietnam rejigged their visa classes and naming system on 1st January.

If you have either a visa issued at the airport (visa on arrival) or a visa obtained from a Vietnamese embassy or consulate prior to flying, there's no need to show a return ticket to Vietnam immigration. I have entered around 15 times, either Saigon or Hanoi, and 3 weeks ago, this was still the case.

In addition to the existing visa-free entry for certain Asian nationals, Vietnam extended the visa-free entry for certain nationalities on 1st July. These are Britain, Germany, France, Italy and Spain.

If you are entering Vietnam on this program, the immigration officer will want to see proof of return or onward travel. Viewing either a printed itinerary or an electronic version on a smartphone or an email on a laptop will be accepted.

This was my experience 8 weeks ago at Saigon.

I recommend the Park Royal. It's a nice hotel and very near Tan Son Nhut.

http://www.parkroyalhotels.com/en/hotels-resorts/vietnam/saigon.html

I will be getting a day room there on Sunday since I have about 6 hours to kill before my flight. I over-nighted there before, maybe 3 years ago and it is clean and convenient for the airport but the food in the restaurant wasn't worth it.

In addition to the existing visa-free entry for certain Asian nationals, Vietnam extended the visa-free entry for certain nationalities on 1st July. These are Britain, Germany, France, Italy and Spain.

According to the Vietnam Embassy in London the visa free entry for UK,German,French,Italian and Spanish nationals runs from 1st July 2015 until 30 June 2016,so a year I hope this is just a test run and they decide to extend it permanently. Also it only gives you 15 days and then you have to wait another 30 days before entering again on a free visa.

http://vietnamembassy.org.uk/index.php?action=p&ct=Notice2

Edited by pbay

Thanks

NanLaew & pbay

Checked your link to V/N Embassy but it gives no details about Visa-on-arrival. Do we need photos etc or is it just a landing card?

If you are a UK national then you do not need a visa for a 15 day visit, if you want to stay longer you will need a visa from either the embassy or get a visa on arrival letter from one of the companies on the Internet.