Koh Tao murders: 2 DNA profiles from alleged murder weapon do not match defendants' DNA

webfact

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reports then emerged from the Burmese community that nine Burmese had been playing a ball game when they were approached by police, one member told reporters that the three suspects, who were working and residing illegally in the country should flea, which they did. The remaining six were apprehended , one went on to say that the police tortured them with boiling water, before apprehending the three that fled. Two of those three Saw and Wyn were the two Burmese who took part in the reconstruction and whose DNA has been said to match that at the crime scene,

The third man, Mau, is apparently still in custody but has denied any involvement in the case.

http://www.samuitimes.com/international-confusion-murder-reconstruction-koh-tao/

Take your pick HEY!!!!

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-tourist-murder-suspect-now-arrested-another-run

The police have arrested a suspect in the murder of two British tourists in Koh Tao and are still hunting for a second suspect who has escaped into Bangkok.

Eighth Region Police Command commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Panya Mamen identified the first suspect as Mon.

He is the brother of a village headman in Koh Tao.

He was arrested after evidence which police collected were examined and proved he was involved, he said.

He also said another suspect is also a son of that village headman. But he has already to Bangkok.

He said both suspects were captured by CCTV cameras and the police have gathered enough evidence to implicate them in the murders.

He said the southern police were coordinating with the metropolitan police to hunt him down, and expected to apprehend him today.

The southern police chief also assured the public that there was no arrest of scapegoats in this murder case as it now is a focal attention of the world.

He also dismissed any suggestion of local mafias or influential people that could twist the investigation with promise that local influence would pose no obstacle to the police investigation.

Instead the police will eliminate all these mafias, he said.

Meanwhile a police source said the police are also looking into the cooperation of those who helped to arrange the suspect to escape. They also will be arrested.

attachicon.gif9-23-2014-3-14-56-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

And all of these people had their DNA Tested later, and since there was no match with Hannah, they were no longer a suspect. The 2 Accused however is alleged to have matched with Hannah. See the difference?

tested by who? let me guess, the pancake seller tasted the samples and declared a match - that is about how accurate the RTP DNA lab was...

As the thread is about DNA testing, then this piece from not even 2 weeks before the B2 were confirmed as having matching DNA to that found in / on the female victim seems to say quite a lot.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-seek-help-from-FBI-on-DNA-30243708.html

An excerpt from the article quoting none other than Somyot (current RTP chief) is as follows

DNA testing technology in Thailand could only identify whether human secretions came from a male or female, said deputy police chief General Somyot Pumpunmuang, while the FBI had "sophisticated technology".

"We will ask the FBI to help identify the DNA in the semen we found - whether it belonged to an Asian or European," he said yesterday."

Certainly strikes me as odd that within the next 2 weeks they had DNA handling technology that could match multiple DNA types with that supposedly recovered from a murder victim.

In the meanwhile, despicable influential southern families sleep soundly.

Even the PM is afraid of these people.

Recall also that the bar owners even made a miniature replica of the hoe that party goers posed with. That is how above the law they are that heinous acts like that can occur.

Recall also that the bar owners even made a miniature replica of the hoe that party goers posed with. That is how above the law they are that heinous acts like that can occur.

This just made me sick to see these people making pictures with hoes as if this was freakin funny, how f... stupid and just plain unsensitive can one be, we are certainly not wired the same way...

More generally that's things like this that really make me loose faith in the human kind.

Only private foreign investigators will be able to solve this crime in Thailand. The family should give this some thought.

That's what my first post said also. It was posted in Bkk Post in response to the 1st mention of the crime in their paper.

The PM may or may not be cowed by such people who control islands like KT, but I think it's more to do with: when he starts out with lies ("there are no scapegoats" "police are conducting a perfect investigation" etc etc) ....then someone like the PM has to either stick with his initial stance or go silent about it (he's currently doing both). To do otherwise would (in his mind) make him appear weak. Have you ever seen/heard a prominent Thai politician admit to a mistake? It's not possible. One need look no farther than Mr. 'I'm through with politics' Thaksin. If Thailand had a real leader, he/she would stand up and say something like: "we're going to leave no stone unturned in finding who really committed this dastardly crime." ...and back it up with action.

15 September 2015 at 6:59am

David Miller's family release statement a year on

It's exactly a year since the murder of David Miller.

The 24-year-old Jerseyman was found dead alongside fellow traveller Hannah Witheridge on the island of Koh Tao in September last year.

To mark the anniversary his family have released a statement.

In it they say they have commissioned a bench to be placed in his memory between Plemont and Grosnez later this month.

They added their thoughts are also with everyone who was affected by David's death.

One year ago today our son David Miller was cruelly murdered on a beach in Thailand. Our lives were destroyed on that tragic day. Today, a full year on, our daily thoughts are still with David, a unique and wonderful man. Our thoughts are also with everyone who was affected by this: his family, friends, and especially Jessy Howorth and Chris Ware.

– IAN, SUE & MICHAEL MILLER

Only private foreign investigators will be able to solve this crime in Thailand. The family should give this some thought.

Foreign investigators against Koh Tao mafia, best case scenario: they get beaten up and forced to leave Thailand, worst case scenario a shallow grave somewhere in Surat Thani.

The Koh Tao murders anniversary – one year on

KOH SAMUI: -- Today is the first anniversary of the deaths of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller in Koh Tao. One year after the two young British travelers bodies were found dead on Siree Beach two Burmese migrant workers are spending their eleventh month in prison accused of the horrific crimes that shocked the world.

The families of the victims have both expressed their grief in press statements in the UK, the family of Hannah Witheridge told of how the promises that time would ease the pain go unfulfilled, the family of David Miller said their thoughts are still with their son.

The two men who stand accused of their murders, Zaw Lin and Wei Phyo still protest their innocence, their widowed mothers continue to visit them in the Samui Provincial Prison and sit behind them during the court hearings of which only four more days remain. The distress of the accused mothers is ever evident, both pray for justice both for their sons and ultimately for the families of the victims.

The court case surrounding the trial has unsurprisingly hit the media, the most shocking headline recently being that the DNA on the garden hoe, the alleged murder weapon, does not match that of the accused who allege they were tortured into confessions they later retracted. The prosecution insist that DNA samples taken from the crime scene do match those of the accused, the defense maintain their client’s innocence and have four days left to state their case. Before the case is over more forensic experts are due to take the stand. A verdict is expected sometime in October.

samuitimes-logo.jpg

-- Samui Times 2015-09-15

I feel sorry too for the families of Hannah and David, but incompetence and corruption has turned the trail of the two suspects into a circus that is probably even more upsetting and certainly will bring closure no closer, but I for one feel it more important to ensure that nobody but those really guilty go down for this crime.

Edited by Basil B

I understand that links and quotes from the Bangkok Post aren't allowed here, but I thought I'd add that 3 of the 5 published letters to the editor today were critical of the Koh Tao prosecution, which, given the minimal coverage in the local media of the case, was remarkable.

Washington Post

Finally, police appeared to have found their footing when they arrested two Burmese migrants who, cops claimed, had confessed to the crime.

Yet, that case has also been disintegrating from the get-go, like a courthouse made of sand.

With no DNA evidence and a contested confession, the case appears to be collapsing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/09/15/rape-murder-and-a-deepening-mystery-on-a-tiny-tropical-island/?postshare=5391442327496335

Washington Post - Rape, murder and a deepening mystery on a tiny tropical island http://wpo.st/BMp_0

Edited by thailandchilli

Foreign investigators against Koh Tao mafia, best case scenario: they get beaten up and forced to leave Thailand, worst case scenario a shallow grave somewhere in Surat Thani.
Farang investigators hire under cover thai to infiltrate with hidden cams...wires and drones documenting everything.

RIP Hanna and David. Little do you know your terrible fate has touched millions around the world. In some sort of retribution...your martyrdom is awaking an awareness...a bright light is shining squarely on a very dark part of the world. Your sacrifice is not in vain. I'm so sorry.

There's a lot of inaccuracies in that Washington Post article. For example - They were not vacationing together, had only just met, what all night party? No one knows if they even attended a party. First I heard of the condom incident during the interrogation, perhaps I missed it.

My thoughts and condolences go out to the families of Hannah and David today. May justice prevail.

There's a lot of inaccuracies in that Washington Post article. For example - They were not vacationing together, had only just met, what all night party? No one knows if they even attended a party. First I heard of the condom incident during the interrogation, perhaps I missed it.

My thoughts and condolences go out to the families of Hannah and David today. May justice prevail.

yeah I noticed the journalist making assumptions and being rather slapdash.. But then he has not been following the case as closely as TV members have, no doubt Edited by penoirz

@Atomicalandy @Saksith it's been a year since the 5 friends that were with them didn't come up to say what happened at the bar that evening

@Fabriceburtin @Saksith how do you know that? They didn't need to tell the world what they know, some things best kept more low key perhaps?

@Fabriceburtin people who didn't come forward are on Koh Tao. Always cite same reason not worth it as 'businesses/families would be at risk'

@Fabriceburtin that includes Thais, migrants (but) also lots of business owning/managing foreigners who said its not in their interests 2 speak

Edited by JLCrab

As one poster stated so aptly..... "The murders were horrific, but to put two innocent men to the sword is the stuff of pure evil."

Yes ... and if that becomes the case, it would be at least in some part because -- according to Mr. Hall above -- people who might have been in a position to prevent such an outcome had their own reasons not to come forward.

What a beautiful statement released by David's family...

Based on comments I have read from friends, acquaintances, co-workers, even people who only met David briefly, the overriding sentiment is that he was a genuinely great guy who inspired and projected positivity onto those he came into contact with, and I frickin' love people like that. It's a fact that there just ain't enough people in this world that have this ability and David's parents should be extremely proud of the job they did raising this young man. David's death is a tragedy and my heart bleeds for the loss his family must be feeling right now.

I feel like It would have been a privilege to have met David during the short time he was on this planet, and there are not many people I can say that about. He was not here for so long but he clearly left the place in a better condition than he found it in. Our spirits live on in the hearts of those that loved us, and the benevolence shown by his parents advocating forgiveness for the perpetrators of crime goes a long way to explaining the legacy that their son left behind and the strength of his spirit.

It would be very easy to focus on the negative feelings of regret, sadness and anger that are no doubt prevalent in people's minds, but instead maybe we should follow the example being set by David's parents and focus on the happiness and joy that David brought into the lives of others in the time that he was here...

According to Newton every action has an equal and opposite reaction, and I see no reason why the brutal murder of David & Hannah should be an exception to this rule. Their deaths shall not go un-avenged. Some day... some way... some how....

Until now I have never had a "Bucket List", but I do now after reading the statement from David's parents. Before I depart this mortal coil I will travel to Jersey, find Dave's memorial seat and spending 10 or 15 minutes relaxing with a cold can of beer which I shall drink in his memory as I look out on Plemont Bay. It sounds an idyllic location and I think the memorial seat is a really nice touch & a fitting tribute to their son.

This is the song I shall listen to when I find myself in Dave's seat (Song to the Siren by This Mortal Coil):

If you've never heard the song before please give it a listen. I suggest putting on headphones, turning up the volume, closing your eyes and letting the music and incredible vocals wash over you... Simply heavenly...

I apologize but I have not read enough about Hannah to feel capable of commenting here on her attributes. She was without doubt a very beautiful young lady and apparently her personality matched her looks. As the father of a young daughter myself I can only guess that the pain her family is feeling is almost unbearable and my heart goes out to them also.

RIP David. RIP Hannah.

Yes that is odd AleG. But do you want to know what I find even odder than that? It is where did all those people go, and the Media, who were screaming for months for a "Fair and Transparent Trial'? Here is what I mean.

On one hand you have a High Ranking Police Officer who made an Official Request to the UK Police (I gather) to help identify the said David Miller's Mobile Phone. Had this phone not belonged to David then this would help the Defense. Had it belonged to David then of course it would have helped the Prosecution. But the reply they got was they were unable to supply official documentation on this as this involved a murder trail which carries the death penalty. Although a Witness testified he had verbal conformation on this subject.

On the other hand and for months we have heard that the Defense has damning evidence from the UK that will discredit the RTP DNA that was recently given to them from a Forensic Expert in the UK, who preformed an autopsy on Hannah. Hum??? Who this said person allegedly passed on these official documents and this information onto the Defense Team only.

But do we know what this evidence is? No!No! No! It is so secret that nobody in the court room knew what it was as they refused to disclose this. Not even the Prosecution so they would have a chance to debate it or the validity of those documents. Instead they passed it under the table for the judges to view alone.

All I know for sure is if the shoe was on the other foot, and it was the Prosecution who did that, and not the Defense, this whole blog would be buzzing with people complaining and calling Prosecution and Police every name under the sun. But now it is so quiet here and nobody even mentions that, except me right now.

Maybe that isn't so odd after all.

You told us you are not a lawyer, nor a judge, and it is apparent why....

In criminal trials, the prosecution goes first. They provide the court with the evidence being presented as their facts. The defence gets to go second. They get to dispute those "facts" and are there to pick apart the investigation.

Why would the defence have to provide their method of disputing the allegations leveled by the prosecution? That would be stupid of them.

In Canada (where you have purported to live in another post) it is called "disclosure". It came from a court case called R . v. Stinchcombe (you are on your own to search this one, I gave you the last search, which still by the way you haven't answered on) where it makes the prosecution provide ALL of the evidence they are going to introduce to the court in advance to the defence, in order that they be able to prepare to make a "full answer" for the accused. As you see, there was no such disclosure made to the defence team prior to the trial, as there is no apparent requirement to do so in Thailand.

Once again you have failed to educate yourself.

The problem you seem to have is to grasp that the crime was committed in Thailand and thus under Thailand Law, and not the law of your home land.

The Prosecution does not have to provide any information to the Defense in advance here. So perhaps you should educate yourself on Thai Law and not the law of your land. This would also help you to understand the justice system better here as well.

Oh all of a sudden you ARE educated in Thai Law, how many years have you lived here and been practicing it to be able to ridicule others ? What the flying F do you know about the Thai Justice system? If there was ever such a condescending comment made .. your post clearly takes #1 position.

Sorry for not replying to you sooner Fat Haggis but I was sure you had me confused with someone who you think cares about what you think about me personally.

As to the High Ranking Police Officer forgetting what took place a year ago, you make it sound like this is the only case he has to handle. The fact remains he probably handles several different cases a month let alone how many he would handle in a year, and in many cases dealing with the same Pathologist. You may go to one or two meetings a week and take notes for the next same meeting. Or continues daily on the same subject.

As to writing everything down and keeping a list,...Hell, I can't even remember where I put my Grocery Shopping List from last week let alone some list I made a year ago. I can't even remember how many times you personally attacked me just this month, because you take it personal and don't agree with me. But let me tell you what I do remember for sure over this past year.

I have never made claim, or even suggested, "how supper efficient the RTP have been", and as you said I did in a later post. Of course if you can prove this, which you can't, it would be nice to see a refreshing change form you, and other than attacking every poster here you do not agree with.

Washington Post

Finally, police appeared to have found their footing when they arrested two Burmese migrants who, cops claimed, had confessed to the crime.

Yet, that case has also been disintegrating from the get-go, like a courthouse made of sand.

With no DNA evidence and a contested confession, the case appears to be collapsing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/09/15/rape-murder-and-a-deepening-mystery-on-a-tiny-tropical-island/?postshare=5391442327496335

Washington Post - Rape, murder and a deepening mystery on a tiny tropical island http://wpo.st/BMp_0

Much of that report is garbled, and it contains some inaccuracies. However, it reminds me of one point that is interesting. Early on, it appeared the police were trying to deny the presence of semen samples. Both the claims for a while that there was no rape, and then the claim that condoms were used, point to that. Then, when semen samples were acknowledged, rather than send them to the Central Institute for Forensic Science (the body set up to ensure objective and professional analysis of forensic evidence) they carried out an improperly documented and easily falsified analysis in-house.

It's time for people think seriously about replying to two certain posters and in my opinion one has certainly shown his true colours .

He even questioned another poster by pm when asked to drop the subject yesterday for one day out of respect .

Thats the type of request no one should question.

Respect is a big thing and the kind words yesterday that were expressed by many posters shows there true feelings and emotions.

The posters that have just been here to defend every RTP posts really shows now their agenda is just one sided.

They have no other interest other that getting these threads closed down.

So many posters have been given holidays due to these people simply because that can't sit back and accept the insults the certain RTP defenders are throwing.

This is only my personal opinion, everybody has a right to post but don't let them get to you because going on past history on this thread and others the respectful posters have been given holidays and the RTP defenders remain.

It is time to completely ignore them and keep these threads open they are important .

99.9 percent of posters want the complete truth to come out it appears others don't .

I am sure many times info that has arisen on these threads has been very useful to the case.

What's unfortunate is that even if the B2 are found not guilty, there still won't be any "closure" for the families of David and Hannah. The RTP will simply drop the case, and never seriously go after anyone else. They've been paid too well to do that.

I do agree with you that if the B2 are found not guilty that there probably won't be any closure on this case for the families, but not for the reasons you suggest. I feel it will because they will never be able to tie anyone else to this murder because of this DNA.

We know (or think at least) that matching DNA Samples from the accused to the victim have astronomical odds. DNA Testing takes a lot of the guess work out of the picture. But DNA Testing is also not a perfect science either.

If the Defense can show mishandling of the DNA in collection, distribution, and testing, to the point it discredits the DNA Samples, then these DNA Samples are spoiled. Not spoiled just for this case, but any others that may follow. How can you justify in a court of law that you are 100% sure that this match is the accused sitting their, then the next month say you were wrong? That now you are sure you have the right ones and right match this time.

It is nice to think that a country like Thailand has unlimited manpower and resources to solve a case, but like many other they don't. I would venture to guess (and it is only a guess) that Thailand has probably spent more manpower and resources on this case then they normally do. So I can't see them later spending more on a case that they may never be able to prove or solve. Baring new information or a confession that can be believed, which I also don't see coming this way after a year.

For the NS Conspiracy Theorists his DNA has been tested already and came up Negative. You can never get away from that now as any lawyer would bring this up. One day not him, but the next day it is??? Even if you could prove his DNA was doctored, and a bride was involved, which I highly doubt as after a year nothing of the kind has happened, you will still never be able to tie him to Hannah's DNA. As that would have been proved already that this was spoiled from this case. So even if they wanted to go after him, which I see absolutely no reason why they would or should, they would know they would never be able to prove this anyway. So why bother?

Washington Post

Much of that report is garbled, and it contains some inaccuracies. However, it reminds me of one point that is interesting. Early on, it appeared the police were trying to deny the presence of semen samples. Both the claims for a while that there was no rape, and then the claim that condoms were used, point to that. Then, when semen samples were acknowledged, rather than send them to the Central Institute for Forensic Science (the body set up to ensure objective and professional analysis of forensic evidence) they carried out an improperly documented and easily falsified analysis in-house.

Agreed that the report has some inaccuracies and clearly written by someone without the benefit of a year's worth of exposure to the farce of an investigation. However, the very fact that the Washington Post is reporting it is significant as they are famous for "smelling" stories and scandals, remember Watergate?

That this travesty is now being reported in the 'states by a major media outlet is a good thing.

What's unfortunate is that even if the B2 are found not guilty, there still won't be any "closure" for the families of David and Hannah. The RTP will simply drop the case, and never seriously go after anyone else. They've been paid too well to do that.

I do agree with you that if the B2 are found not guilty that there probably won't be any closure on this case for the families, but not for the reasons you suggest. I feel it will because they will never be able to tie anyone else to this murder because of this DNA.

We know (or think at least) that matching DNA Samples from the accused to the victim have astronomical odds. DNA Testing takes a lot of the guess work out of the picture. But DNA Testing is also not a perfect science either.

If the Defense can show mishandling of the DNA in collection, distribution, and testing, to the point it discredits the DNA Samples, then these DNA Samples are spoiled. Not spoiled just for this case, but any others that may follow. How can you justify in a court of law that you are 100% sure that this match is the accused sitting their, then the next month say you were wrong? That now you are sure you have the right ones and right match this time.

It is nice to think that a country like Thailand has unlimited manpower and resources to solve a case, but like many other they don't. I would venture to guess (and it is only a guess) that Thailand has probably spent more manpower and resources on this case then they normally do. So I can't see them later spending more on a case that they may never be able to prove or solve. Baring new information or a confession that can be believed, which I also don't see coming this way after a year.

For the NS Conspiracy Theorists his DNA has been tested already and came up Negative. You can never get away from that now as any lawyer would bring this up. One day not him, but the next day it is??? Even if you could prove his DNA was doctored, and a bride was involved, which I highly doubt as after a year nothing of the kind has happened, you will still never be able to tie him to Hannah's DNA. As that would have been proved already that this was spoiled from this case. So even if they wanted to go after him, which I see absolutely no reason why they would or should, they would know they would never be able to prove this anyway. So why bother?

The biggest problem with the semen samples is not that they were contaminated (though that is a possible issue) but that, bafflingly, there is no residual sample left for retesting. All that is left is intermediate replicated DNA from an intermediate step in the testing. This replicated DNA cannot be confirmed to have originated with a semen sample, and degrades rapidly unlike the original semen sample. Should the remainder of the semen sample finally be found (or clothes from the victims reappear) professional forensic analysis and an objective investigation could still occur. I do not consider it probable, given the vested interests lobbying against, but it is certainly possible.

Yeah! I would be scared of a Man who works out of a grass shack on some 2 bit island who people claim he has 500 Million Dollars, as he would have to be crazy to do that.

As for me and if I had 500 Million Dollars, I would be sailing on my yacht someplace in the Caribbean full of beautiful women slightly clad (if the wife wasn't around) or with just her if she was. Or maybe in one of my many 10 Million Dollar Condos in London, Paris, or New York. Or maybe just kick around in my 50 Million Dollar Mansion in Barbados, where I don't have to pay income tax.

But the last bloody place I would be is working in some grass shack bar on some remote island, 16 hours a day, and kicking out some obnoxious drunks every night at 2 am which at any given moment can put a knife in my back. Of this I am sure! ,

Washington Post

oL_zQ1Hh_bigger.jpgAndy Hall@Atomicalandy 29m29 minutes ago

Agreed that the report has some inaccuracies and clearly written by someone without the benefit of a year's worth of exposure to the farce of an investigation. However, the very fact that the Washington Post is reporting it is significant as they are famous for "smelling" stories and scandals, remember Watergate?

That this travesty is now being reported in the 'states by a major media outlet is a good thing.

Amen to that! I was wondering when this would gain more traction in the States.