Renewing Passport

Hi all,

I have a non-imm o that i'll extend in June(assuming i get the extention) shortly after that i will be renewing my passport.Of course i'll be making photocopies of visas,letter from embassy etc.

Is it as simple as getting the visas stamped into the new passport at immagration?

Has anyone had any experience with this or know the necessary steps?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I have a non-imm o that i'll extend in June(assuming i get the extention) shortly after that i will be renewing my passport.Of course i'll be making photocopies of visas,letter from embassy etc.

Is it as simple as getting the visas stamped into the new passport at immagration?

Has anyone had any experience with this or know the necessary steps?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

after receiving a new passport from your embassy, you should receive a letter to give to thai immigration asking them to transfer your visa over. the embassy will also hand you back your old passport with two holes punched through and "cancelled" stamped on the first page .

take your old passport and your new passport with the letter and go to a thai immigration office . they will transfer your visa and extension into your new passport. it won't be a sticker visa but a one page stamp with a paragraph of thai. if you have an extension it will also be transferred. your old passport visa/extensions will be stamped with "cancelled" after thai immigration transfers your information over.

painless and free, about 30 minutes

Huski's comment is absolutely correct. No pain and FOC (free of charge)

OK, the Europeans don't hole the p/p but cut off the edges.

In my case every transfer means 3 (three) pages, incl. transfer of re-entry permit, but well...

Strangely enough I have had a different experience.

All I was told was that if the visa is still valid, just staole the old passport to the new one and present at immigration. I did this and they stamped me in to the new passport with no problems.

By the way I have a Non Imm O class multi entry and carried on doing this for 4 more trips through immigration.

I travel a lot and even here in Nigeria it is an excepted way of passing through immigration.

Basher

Basher, I cannot challenge you on this. It's wrong but than TIT.

Last year I was a bit fed up about a ruling somewhere that said, new p/port needs new re-entry permit.

I got the VN-embassy to transfer my visa for a reduced fee. (Took them 10 minutes to find it in Saigon-airport-computer)

Than I challenged my staff, "Vietnam can do, what about Thailand?" I know, I upset everybody, but the result was, no new visa, but the old one transferred free of charge (because we are superior to VN)

Visa and re-entry read in Thai "Authorized copy" :o:D

At the British Embassy you can point out which pages have valid visa's and they will not be cancelled.

Getting your Thai visa transfered is a breeze.

As long as the page is not cancelled you can still use the re-entry permit in your old passport, for as long as the permit is valid. Mine was a one year re-entry.

If you are in doubt just check with the immigration office. Generally they are very helpful.

At the British Embassy you can point out which pages have valid visa's and they will not be cancelled.

Getting your Thai visa transfered is a breeze.

As long as the page is not cancelled you can still use the re-entry permit in your old passport, for as long as the permit is valid.  Mine was a one year re-entry.

If you are in doubt just check with the immigration office.  Generally they are very helpful.

Produce both passports when you exit or re-enter. They'll do it at the airport, also FOC.